Preaching Christianity: Martyrs or mudheads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droobie

Rebmem Raluger
Nov 22, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟20,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
We all know of the task that Jesus has set before us. To spread word of the Gospel to all ends of the earth. Yet should we use discretion before venturing out into countries where it is not welcome? A recent example is the aid workers caught by the Taliban for 'preaching Christianity'.

Far from it to say whether they were or not, but for arguments sake, if they were, is that true calling, or just plain craziness to go there? There are many countries where it is a crime to preach religion other than the national religion of the state. Many underground churches have been seeded, praise God.

Where do you stand in this? :eek:

Matthew 28
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

So, yes. I agree that they should be out there, even if it is in contradiction to the rules of that government.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
<i><b>Preaching Christianity: Martyrs or mudheads?</i></b>

LOL! Droobie, you sure have a way with words. That's funny!

Well, to answer your question, Jesus did say to go out into all the world and preach the gospel. And, He didn't preface it by saying that we should only go to the "safe," beautiful places. As we know, not everyone is called to be a missionary, but we are all to heed the commandment to preach His word to the unsaved right where we live.

If a missionary is "called" to go to a place like Afghanistan, then he is sent there by God and is not seen as crazy, IMO, even if he is murdered. He's doing the will and the work of God.

I guess you can call me a "mudhead" since I'm not dead from persecution yet. (hehe)

Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello Droobie,
I'll throw in my two cents worth..
I believe that witnessing in some of these places will definately produce some martyrs. I think, a lot of times, we witness in vain. I know a lot of people would probably disagree with this statement. It is only my opinion, nothing more or less.

To me, I don't witness, unless the Lord first opens the door for me. I will never go door to door with His gospel, unless He tells me to. I feel like, unless He is in it with me, it would be in vain, and possibly do more damage than good. Some people get very angry when you go to their door. I believe that He knows which sheep are His and He will gather them. In His way and in His time.

After the rapture, God will raise up two witnesses in Israel. They will have special powers, and they will also be devinely protected and preach the gospel for the first 3 1/2 years of the tribulation in Israel. Many believe that they will be Moses and Elisha.

God will also seal 144,000 Jews. They will also be devinely protected, and they will go preaching the gospel around the world for that 3 1/2 year period. This gospel will be preached to the ends of the earth and then the end shall come. They will go to all the places that the Church couldn't go. Then will come the Great Tribulation, or Gods wrath which will be Hell on earth, and it will bring an end to mans rule of the earth. Jesus will be on the Throne for a thousand years, and the Church will reign with Him.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is not crazy to preach to people who are in the dark. Many countries used to persercute Christianity. Take for example, the roman empire.
If the early christians only preach in safe environment, how will we get the chance to know Christ?

Upvote 0
Well, like Pat said, Jesus didn't say 'Go unto the safe places of the world and preach the gospel', He said go unto all the world and preach the gospel...

God will permit ways for those who are called to missionary work to be protected. And if they are to be martyrs, well, what better way to go? To die in His name, to have shared the Gospel with people who may otherwise not have heard it, and to be given a martyr's crown to worship the King with in heaven....

Doesn't sound so bad to me...

~N~
<><

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Droobie
We all know of the task that Jesus has set before us. To spread word of the Gospel to all ends of the earth. Yet should we use discretion before venturing out into countries where it is not welcome? A recent example is the aid workers caught by the Taliban for 'preaching Christianity'.

Far from it to say whether they were or not, but for arguments sake, if they were, is that true calling, or just plain craziness to go there? There are many countries where it is a crime to preach religion other than the national religion of the state. Many underground churches have been seeded, praise God.

Where do you stand in this? :eek:

Christ said to render unto Ceaser what was Ceasor's and render unto God what is God's.

Also it far better to obey God rather than man.

Upvote 0
As one who DOES go door to door here in the U.S., I wanted to put in my two cents... yes, sometimes, I've been cussed out and even had my life threatened... but then there are the other times, like when I prayed with a young girl who was about to have an abortion. She accepted the Lord right there and said she'd been praying someone would come and tell her what to do. I have seen many miracles while witnessing and been blessed just watching how God moves... I always figure... hey, not everyone has made their decision. Some have rejected Christ and get angry.. but for every one of those dissappointments, there comes one who was searching and waiting. I guess I do not believe in passive christianity... I try to pattern after Christ and I believe the gospel will be spread to the ends of the earth. I consider it an honor to be a part of it! And if I get hurt? Well, praise God! What better way to go than in following my Savior footsteps. I myself was saved at seven years of age by a woman who came to my school. If I had the opportunity, I would gladly go to other lands! :)

Upvote 0

kingskid

Kid of the Most High
Jan 19, 2002
VA
✟1,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a few misunderstandings about this as the bible tell us to submit to authority.

Well if the government does not want you there but you go anyway are you submitting to authority?

Of course God is the ultimate authority, but even Jesus did not go against the authority of Rome.

I will certainly testify any place I find myself since the Lord said we should.

I am not saying I believe one way or another...just a little muddled about missions I guess.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I think those aid workers who were doing it to bring the Good News to people who had never heard it before, not just so they could feel godly about themselves, were the most admirable of all people.

Those were the people who understood what Jesus commanded--"Whoever leaves their comfortable home were they are well-loved, and daily sacrifices their own desires for My sake..." To sacrifice our comfortable homes for the sake of the call is to willingly take up our cross, our share of the risky business of being a Christian.

We should all be so driven to share the word that we care less about our own comfort and more about the spiritual needs of lost people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I figure, one thing that is obligatory for every Christian is to believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord. All the rest springs out of it naturally, as the tree branch brings forth fruit. We, Christians, are very different, yet united in One. Some of us have a missionary calling, whereas others have different ones. But no matter what our calling is, by obeying it we witness to the world about Jesus Christ, knowingly or unknowingly. In fact, we witness to the world by having the Holy Spirit dwell in us.
In my country we have many American ministers, who reach out others with the Gospel. These people left their homes to come under pressure here. Americans in Belarus aren't welcomed at all by the government but the local population listens to them. Many young people accept Christ and new churches are set up.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to forum Pavel!

I like how you wrote that everything good springs from our belief that Christ is Lord like a tree to fruit. That is beautiful imagery.

I will pray that your nation will continue to develop a good hunger for the word of God so that more may call on Jesus as Lord.

God bless you and your nation,

YM

Originally posted by Pavel
I figure, one thing that is obligatory for every Christian is to believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord. All the rest springs out of it naturally, as the tree branch brings forth fruit.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
If Jesus had only gone where it is safe, he would never have died
on the cross for us. What of Stephen, the first Christian to be martyred. Peter who was hung upside down on a cross. What of Paul who was whipped, stoned, imprisoned and finally beheaded?
Doesnt sound all that safe to me.
Those women in Afghanistan are brave Christians, doing Gods will.
What of the Chinese Christians in China? They are being imprisoned and killed almost daily there. Where are they going to go?
Martyrs for Christ are not fools but Gods chosen doing His will.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.