ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
OK, today I really needed prayer and guidance about something. I called a prayer line (the official line for the denomination of the church I attend) and it had a menu so you could select the type of need (healing, relationship, etc.) to be prayed for. I made my selection and imediately a pre-recorded prayer started and at the end, you had the option to go back to the main menu. I presume to select another prayer. What do you guys think of a pre-recorded prayer line? It obviously struck me as disturbing but I am trying to be open here. I guess if there aren't enough volunteers, pre-recorded is better than nothing.

Last edited:

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Almost seems like those "prophets" and "apostles" who sell "anointed prayer cloths" for xxx amount of money for healing. It's so inpersonal. Prayer should be crying out from the heart on behalf of yourself or someone else, not press 9 and listen to this prerecorded message. That's very odd but not surprising anymore. Sad...

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
OK, today I really needed prayer and guidance about something. I called a prayer line (the official line for the denomination of the church I attend) and it had a menu so you could select the type of need (healing, relationship, etc.) to be prayed for. I made my selection and imediately a pre-recorded prayer started and at the end, you had the option to go back to the main menu. I presume to select another prayer. What do you guys think of a pre-recorded prayer line? It obviously struck me as disturbing but I am trying to be open here. I guess if there aren't enough volunteers, pre-recorded is better than nothing.

Ok, I am trying to think positively on this.

I have met people in ministry who sincerely pray for just about everything. Including, praying before passing out tracts, that the Lord would draw those with open hearts to receive.

In that vain, I am going to assume that those involved in a ministry to pray for others, if they would be unable to answer the phone for a time, might leave a message of prayer, and then pray over that message, that God would meet the needs of those calling, and by the prayer message, I would be in agreement with the person calling who was in need.

The question is, can I pray for those in need and stand in agreement, without actually speaking to them on the phone? Would this work?

And would that fall into the category of better then nothing?

Upvote 0

ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Almost seems like those "prophets" and "apostles" who sell "anointed prayer cloths" for xxx amount of money for healing. It's so inpersonal. Prayer should be crying out from the heart on behalf of yourself or someone else, not press 9 and listen to this prerecorded message. That's very odd but not surprising anymore. Sad...
The prayer cloths came to mind and this is my initial impression also.
Ok, I am trying to think positively on this.

I have met people in ministry who sincerely pray for just about everything. Including, praying before passing out tracts, that the Lord would draw those with open hearts to receive.

In that vain, I am going to assume that those involved in a ministry to pray for others, if they would be unable to answer the phone for a time, might leave a message of prayer, and then pray over that message, that God would meet the needs of those calling, and by the prayer message, I would be in agreement with the person calling who was in need.

The question is, can I pray for those in need and stand in agreement, without actually speaking to them on the phone? Would this work?

And would that fall into the category of better then nothing?
Thanks for trying to give a positive spin on it. I guess that's along the lines I was trying to think of it.

I was wondering if it was just a temporary thing, but there was no message to call back at another time for a person. To test it out, I called again and the pre-recorded prayer was still going. I think it is permanent.

The number is 1-800-477-2937 (1-800-4-PRAYER) if anyone is curious.

The slogan on the web page is "Prayers that can make a difference." To be honest, it all feels really religious to me and my first thoughts are if they would go to the trouble of praying for these pre-recorded prayers to make a difference, they might as well pray for the people to find another prayer line instead. It's much easier to accept pre-recorded answers to commonly asked questions but prayers?

It's just hard to understand why the denomination that's supposedly the largest charismatic denomination in the world would not be able to have real people on its prayer help line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really strange. In our church the pastor prays for someone with skype when they live too far away. When I didn't have a church I contacted the Sid Roth or Reinhard Bonnke homepage when I had a need. They don't contact you, but at least they pray for it with their prayer team.

Upvote 0

Paul 247

Oct 13, 2017
Mayes County
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's good for many. A lot of people find themselves short for words, especially if they're new to prayer, and they can find comfort in hearing it from a human voice, even though it's a recording.
I would put it mildly above, a distant prayer, one might get over a prerecorded radio or TV program. I would also think that while they are using this technology they could have the machine allow a prayer request to be left, maybe have the caller leave information, names and locations, what they want prayer for, but to do it well, they would need higher tech equipment, and retrieval codes
Anyway, I believe there are a lot of good qualities to be found in recorded prayers. I've often wondered why so many prerecorded prayer lines were abandoned over the years. For the last 42 years I've thought it was probably because the people who record the prayers, just can't get comfortable with rewriting catch-all prerecorded prayer. I think it would extremely difficult, because they'd have to be able to bring the lord to the caller and the caller to the lord, in a future tense, while praying in a past tense.
I've actually talked to people who confessed they called the dial the time clock, out of boredom and loneliness. And in my mind a prerecorded prayer would far surpass the clock. Of course that said, Time and date on one might be beneficial to some callers. Guess I'm just naive.

Upvote 0