woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let us know if there is anything about these rules that you would like to change. Also let us know if there is anything that you feel ought to be added to them.

5. New Adventist/Bible Study Sub-forum (as suggested by Woob & TrustAndObey and blended by Daryl)

5.1 As this sub-forum is mainly for new Seventh-day Adventist Christians, it doesn't exclude non-SDA new Christians from participating in Bible study. Of course, this doesn't exclude veteran Christians from participating either. All are welcome to break open the Bread of Life and learn together.

5.2 Bible studies in this sub-forum are to be the type that will help new Christians to grow and learn together in a fellowship type atmosphere.

5.3 Bible studies can deal with a wide range of subjects that are outside the realm of our 28 fundamental beliefs, but the answers must not disagree with what our church teaches on those subjects.

5.4 Debating will NOT be permitted here.

5.5 Only SDAs are permitted to lead out in Bible study.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I can already see something that needs to be reworded, as it appears to be redundant. I think 5.1 should just be put like this:

5.1 As this sub-forum is mainly for new Seventh-day Adventists, it doesn't exclude non-SDA Christians
from participating in Bible study. All are welcome to break open the Bread of Life and learn together.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am disappointed in you woob, as this pre-poll topic was supposed to have been created in the Discussion and Debate forum rather than here.

Oh, I'm sorry Daryl. I forgot about that. I am used to discussing these things in here.:blush:

I will ask one of the mods to move it.

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The following was posted by thecountrydoc in the wiki, therefore, I decided to quote it here:
Take Another Look, Please

May I point out that this is to be a "Bible study" sub forum. As all seem to understand this is not a debate sub forum. That being said it sould be open to all who are new to Bible study whether SDA or not. I have communicated to Daryl that the title of this sub should reflect this.

I will add some thoughs in red to what the last suggested rules listed.

Doc

5. New Adventist and new Christians Bible Study Sub-forum

5.1 Although this sub-forum is mainly for new Seventh-day Adventist Christians, it doesn't exclude non-SDA new Christians from participating in Bible study. Nor does this exclude veteran Christians from participating either. There will be threads for basic Bible study as well as threads for those interested in more advanced study. All are welcome to break open the Bread of Life and learn together.

5.2 Bible studies in this sub-forum are to be the type that will help both new and veteran Christians to grow and learn together in a fellowship type atmosphere.

5.3 Bible studies will NOT be limited to the 28 official teachings of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. If one wishes to take exception to any of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the SDA church they should post in the Debate sub-forum.

5.4 Debating will NOT be permitted here. Post that are deemed to be argumentitive, or debate oriented, will be moved or deleted.

5.5 Since this is a SDA Forum sub-forum it is understood that those who may lead in Bible study are to be SDA only and who accept the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the SDA church.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

I like thecountrydoc's wording the best.

However, I'll say it again....if people cannot debate against the ADVENTIST teaching of bible verses, and only Traditional Adventists can lead out the studies...this bible study forum really isn't open to EVERYBODY.

Although I appreciate the gesture of trying to look like we're opening to everybody, those rules keep out about 99.9% of Christians, including some in our own forum here.

If it's going to be exclusionary, at least call it what it is instead of trying to give the appearance that we're opening it up to EVERYBODY when we're really not.

My two cents.

Reactions: Sophia7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5.5 Since this is a SDA Forum sub-forum it is understood that those who may lead in Bible study are to be SDA only and who accept the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the SDA church.

That is completely ridiculous. I was going to ask that my studies on the state of the dead, the Sabbath, hell, etc. be moved there. But now you are saying I can't even lead out in a study because of my beliefs on two points, which will not even be the ones I will be discussing there?

Brilliant.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, I'll say it again....if people cannot debate against the ADVENTIST teaching of bible verses, and only Traditional Adventists can lead out the studies...this bible study forum really isn't open to EVERYBODY.

Although I appreciate the gesture of trying to look like we're opening to everybody, those rules keep out about 99.9% of Christians, including some in our own forum here.

If it's going to be exclusionary, at least call it what it is instead of trying to give the appearance that we're opening it up to EVERYBODY when we're really not.

My two cents.
Exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is completely ridiculous. I was going to ask that my studies on the state of the dead, the Sabbath, hell, etc. be moved there. But now you are saying I can't even lead out in a study because of my beliefs on two points, which will not even be the ones I will be discussing there?

Brilliant.
Yes, I totally disagree with this rule.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

The Traditional subforum is already no debate, and if there are new Adventists that lean toward the Tradtional view, why not just give them their own place within the TSDA forum already established?

The Main Forum is where we should reach out to Christians of other denominations and non-Christians.

I just don't think this is what Sarah envisioned, and I'm really disappointed that in trying to relay some of her vision, I got attacked for it.

Where is she anyway?

I hope everything is okay with you Sarah.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

It is not even Adventists only. It is only those who pass muster apparently.

Well, I guess the expectation is that you'd post your studies within a thread already established by a Traditional Adventist???

This forum, although not at all what Sarah suggested, is just another way of building a wall between PSDAs and TSDAs.

Unfortunately that's what *I* see anyway.

We really didn't think this one through enough, and it's painfully obvious now. If there's already a place JUST for Tradtional teachings, and that's what everyone wants THIS forum to be too...then it's unnecessary.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This forum, although not at all what Sarah suggested, is just another way of building a wall between PSDAs and TSDAs.

Unfortunately that's what *I* see anyway.

We really didn't think this one through enough, and it's painfully obvious now. If there's already a place JUST for Tradtional teachings, and that's what everyone wants THIS forum to be too...then it's unnecessary.
I agree. What we'll really have is three Traditional forums: the main forum, the TSDA sub-forum, and the New Adventist/Bible Study sub-forum.

Upvote 0