Texas
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am reading the book "Can 'White' People Be Saved?: Triangulating Race, Theology, and Mission" published by InterVarsity Press. The authors reason that contemporary Christianity in the West and in America is "colonized" by "whiteness." They situate the start of this colonization process with the start of European colonization. And since Christianity is unavoidably tainted with whiteness, it must be "decolonized."

This raises an interesting question. Was Christianity that existed prior to European colonization also colonized? For example, should we read the works of Augustine or Aquinas through the lens of postcolonial or critical race theory?

It also raises another interesting question. What about European countries without colonial histories? Would theologians from say Poland, either pre or post colonial period, be colonized?

Reactions: Hmm

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am reading the book "Can 'White' People Be Saved?: Triangulating Race, Theology, and Mission" published by InterVarsity Press. The authors reason that contemporary Christianity in the West and in America is "colonized" by "whiteness." They situate the start of this colonization process with the start of European colonization. And since Christianity is unavoidably tainted with whiteness, it must be "decolonized."

This raises an interesting question. Was Christianity that existed prior to European colonization also colonized? For example, should we read the works of Augustine or Aquinas through the lens of postcolonial or critical race theory?

It also raises another interesting question. What about European countries without colonial histories? Would theologians from say Poland, either pre or post colonial period, be colonized?

"Whiteness" is quite diverse. William Wilberforce was white as was the missionary Livingstone in Africa and there was no racism in their conceptions. The imperial mission of Christianity and Civilisation is past its due date now, as Africans and Asians are often more Christian than secularised Europeans and North Americans. I remember seeing South Korean missionaries on the the tube 30 years ago. Guess these could be Chinese or African today. Also does God really want to undo all our cultural distinctives or perhaps rather just transform them and animate them with His Spirit. Not everything about empire was evil. My family helped build railways in India and to run them for example. Law and Order and peace was often a fruit of empire where it was experienced. Debunking history is always problematic cause everybody has moved on since the times we talk about. White people today are more tolerant than then.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Is critical race theory compatible with Christianity?

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Decolonization won't save anybody. The entire biblical narrative is based on the very concept of slavery (physical and spiritual). Israel's slavery to Egypt was a picture of the entire world's slavery to the Devil. Joseph and Moses were pictures of Jesus Christ, God's Redeemer, who would deliver His people from spiritual enslavement.
The world's biggest problem is not the white man, it's their enslavement to sin and the Devil. In answer to that book's question, 'can white people be saved?', God, says, His people are saved by the power of Jesus Christ.
Besides, there are nations that still engage in slaving people that should have taken notes when the white Americans and white Europeans abolished slavery.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am reading the book "Can 'White' People Be Saved?: Triangulating Race, Theology, and Mission" published by InterVarsity Press. The authors reason that contemporary Christianity in the West and in America is "colonized" by "whiteness." They situate the start of this colonization process with the start of European colonization. And since Christianity is unavoidably tainted with whiteness, it must be "decolonized."...

I think that whole idea is ridiculous. If you want to know who can be saved, I would recommend to read the Bible.

Upvote 0

Waterjug

Nov 29, 2020
Texas
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My inclination is no, but it is popping up in unexpected places. Thus, I think it's prudent to understand it and know why it is or is not compatible.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You're far too thoughtful to be taken in by liberal theology, so congratulations to you on noticing how shallow it really is.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christianity that existed prior to European colonization also colonized? For example, should we read the works of Augustine or Aquinas through the lens of postcolonial or critical race theory?

This is a really good question. Assuming one of the primary premises of much critical theory, power is always in play no matter the ethnicities involved or the time in history. That being said, do we want to reject the Hellenism that had influenced Judaism and ultimately found expression in the New Testament, e.g. the concept of the Logos? Probably not. Nonetheless, we would have to admit that Alexander the Great's conquests and the following power dynamics instantiated by his generals is what made Hellenistic influence on Judaism possible.

Maybe one positive take away from critical theory is the simple recognition of how power works in the kingdoms of the world. That doesn't mean we need to accept a particular version, e.g. critical race theory, without critique. But we can be like the Hebrews when they left Egypt, taking what is useful, while leaving the rest behind. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waterjug

Nov 29, 2020
Texas
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Assuming one of the primary premises of much critical theory, power is always in play no matter the ethnicities involved or the time in history.
The book specifically focuses on "whiteness." Yet, what exactly the authors in the book mean by that is something of an enigma. The introduction, by Johnny Ramierz-Johnson and Love Sechrest, note that the other articles/chapters in the book "distinguish whiteness from white skin color and European ancestry." My experience interacting with those who promote the concept, albeit not scholars, suggests this is something a motte-and-bailey tactic.

Ramierz-Johnson and Sechrest go on to say whiteness is "an idolatrous way of being in the world." I am not entirely clear what they mean by "way of being in the world." I did a few cursory searches, and it seems to be a term of art amongst scholars in Whiteness Studies and related fields. The best I've been able to gather is that it means something akin to "a way of thinking and living." And I assume "idolatrous" refers to "white supremacy" in that one might place primacy on "white people" being superior to others. Though, I am still not clear on this.

And to note, the lack of clarity is one of the common accusations leveled against those in the field. Ambiguous terminology seems to trade on the emotional impact while being able to say, "No, no. That's not what we mean by that."

That being said, do we want to reject the Hellenism that had influenced Judaism and ultimately found expression in the New Testament, e.g. the concept of the Logos? Probably not. Nonetheless, we would have to admit that Alexander the Great's conquests and the following power dynamics instantiated by his generals is what made Hellenistic influence on Judaism possible.
Agreed. This is definitely one of the problems which comes up with critical theories in general. Where is the end? It often seems to be arbitrarily defined by adherents of such theories (interpretational frameworks?).

Maybe one positive take away from critical theory is the simple recognition of how power works in the kingdoms of the world. That doesn't mean we need to accept a particular version, e.g. critical race theory, without critique. But we can be like the Hebrews when they left Egypt, taking what is useful, while leaving the rest behind. ;)
I first came across Critical Theory in graduate school. It was presented in a course on sociolinguistics, but it was present amongst other approaches. Thus, it was not presented as the end-all, be-all solution. At that time (and still), I found it an interest concept and perhaps it could be used as a tool for analysis, but I always found the need for "emancipation" to be a little off.

I think Critical Race Theory (theories) might be in the same vain. That is, it might tell us something useful, but I am concerned that pushed to a status higher than a mere tool could effectively undermine the Gospel in Christian circles. Of course, that very challenge of CRT might be seen as "whiteness" in action by some and hence racist (i.e., by challenging CRT one is rejecting the "lived experiences" of people of color).

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My experience interacting with those who promote the concept, albeit not scholars, suggests this is something a motte-and-bailey tactic

That's not surprising. In my experience, the primary means is not rational argument, but emotive persuasion.

The best I've been able to gather is that it means something akin to "a way of thinking and living." And I assume "idolatrous" refers to "white supremacy" in that one might place primacy on "white people" being superior to others. Though, I am still not clear on this.

I think this is correct.

And to note, the lack of clarity is one of the common accusations leveled against those in the field. Ambiguous terminology seems to trade on the emotional impact while being able to say, "No, no. That's not what we mean by that

Exactly. The ambiguity allows one to shift the argument and avoid being held to one's own claims. It definitely trades in emotion. My argument with friends who are entrenched in critical theory is that they are creating resentment, which ultimately is counterproductive to their goal.

"White privilege" is a primary example. It is an attempt to create a certain reaction, but what is never (hardly ever) acknowledged is that the so-called privileges in question are simply rights that should obtain across the board. But they never stop to explain that and instead rely on the emotive response to do their work for them, e.g. white guilt. It's not so much that the concept is problematic, but that the discussion never happens. As soon as someone rejects it, they respond that the rejection is simply proof of their point, haha. So unhelpful.

I think Critical Race Theory (theories) might be in the same vain. That is, it might tell us something useful, but I am concerned that pushed to a status higher than a mere tool could effectively undermine the Gospel in Christian circles. Of course, that very challenge of CRT might be seen as "whiteness" in action by some and hence racist (i.e., by challenging CRT one is rejecting the "lived experiences" of people of color)

Right. Any attempt to present counter arguments, especially if presented by the target, is immediately accused. It's frustrating because it stops all meaningful dialogue. The unhappy side-effect for those so entrenched is that at any moment they could cross the wrong line and become targets of the same critique. Those involved are quick to "eat their own."

All that being said, I am open to any available usefulness, but only as a subsidiary tool. Take liberation theology as an example. It is useful, but should be seen as a "subsidiary" to theology proper and not a primary approach to doing theology. If one assumes oppressor/oppressed are primary themes of theology, then one must always locate the two, which invariably will force and pigeonhole someone into those categories, since they are considered essential.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Most definitely not. Critical race theory is a worldly and destructive philosophy predicated on revenge, euphemistically referred to as “decolonization.” The embrace of nonsense like this caused me to flee my former denomination and instead plant a traditional Congregational church.

Upvote 0