Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Anyhoo.. Michie recently posted something it was called ‘where are you on the 12 steps of ..something’ and I read it and BOY was I convicted. The first item was that of curiosity. That it being a sin stemming from pride when you’re overly concerned in the affairs of others to the point that it causes you to be preoccupied or make false assumptions. In the not too distant past I did that as well with someone whom I thought was lying about something to get attention. And I found out that I was wrong. I am not going in to that one, long story. Wow lent sure has me discovering all sorts of things about myself. It’s worth it folks to dig up that thread of Michies and read it.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You will find that your opinions will not be welcomed everywhere here.....Some want answers only from those who share the same denomination and beliefs.... I've found this segregation to be most prevalent in the Catholic forums; with a recent slew of threads with "catholic only" in the title...just to make sure we get the point. We are not all One on this site.... But dont let that discourage you....you can still learn and, if you have wisdom....it will be heard by everyone who needs to hear/read it......
That is a slanted view of reality.

Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyhoo.. Michie recently posted something it was called ‘where are you on the 12 steps of ..something’ and I read it and BOY was I convicted. The first item was that of curiosity. That it being a sin stemming from pride when you’re overly concerned in the affairs of others to the point that it causes you to be preoccupied or make false assumptions. In the not too distant past I did that as well with someone whom I thought was lying about something to get attention. And I found out that I was wrong. I am not going in to that one, long story. Wow lent sure has me discovering all sorts of things about myself. It’s worth it folks to dig up that thread of Michies and read it.
I'm sorry this thread kinda went away from lent, but I'll try to find that post you're talking about! I never really thought about curiosity as stemming from pride, but that makes sense. Speaking for myself, I know I have made a lot of false assumptions about my coworkers and friends (distant past and more recently) and it's a humbling experience to find out you're wrong about someone. I just try to get to know people more, and be more honest about what's on my mind.

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a gal at work, young gal. Very Catholic, observant. Daily Mass , the nine yards. Young girl. Sometimes she’s rude and short. But anyways recently took a vacation to Mexico during lent. So in my mind I’m thinking oh way to fast during lent mrs. Moses. As it turns out, she was taking her mother on the trip to knock an item off her bucket list. I felt like a prize ass for judging. So, anyone else ever make snap judgments and regret it?
Circling back the the OP...

Friend, I suspect we've all been guilty of that from time to time. But hopefully by repenting and learning from it we are better equipped to avoid that temptation in the future.

Reactions: PumptheBrakes
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You will find that your opinions will not be welcomed everywhere here.....Some want answers only from those who share the same denomination and beliefs.... I've found this segregation to be most prevalent in the Catholic forums; with a recent slew of threads with "catholic only" in the title...just to make sure we get the point. We are not all One on this site.... But dont let that discourage you....you can still learn and, if you have wisdom....it will be heard by everyone who needs to hear/read it......
I don't much care for thread that exclude Catholics, however the reason that it's done is evidenced by this thread. Catholics talk about things that non Catholic don't really get or disagree with because they operate on a different belief system.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't much care for thread that exclude Catholics, however the reason that it's done is evidenced by this thread. Catholics talk about things that non Catholic don't really get or disagree with because they operate on a different belief system.
I don't think it's a different belief system, but I get what your saying. Are there other threads where Catholics and non-Catholics can discuss their differences where it would be more appropriate? If there is, do people go there to discuss or argue? I don't want to find people who completely agree with me and sit in an echo chamber, but I also don't want to disturb discussions that other people are having.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's a different belief system, but I get what your saying. Are there other threads where Catholics and non-Catholics can discuss their differences where it would be more appropriate? If there is, do people go there to discuss or argue? I don't want to find people who completely agree with me and sit in an echo chamber, but I also don't want to disturb discussions that other people are having.
Either the General Theology or Denomination Specific Theology forums are where I'd go if I were to start such a thread. Yes, there is plenty of arguing, but a lot of good, respectful discussion too.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a large forum. This large forum has sub forums. Because of the number of sub forums it is necessary for the moderators and the owners of this forum to institute rules for each of the individual sub forums. The rules dictate the behavior and discussion that is acceptable. In the denominational sub forums the moderators and owners of this site have determined that there is not to be debate or teaching by those who do not agree with that denomination. That rule is in place to make the sub forums a safe haven for each of the denominations to post without being rebutted by every single person who doesn't agree with them. There is of course a forum for discussing and debating theology. Sadly, some people do not feel that the Catholics on this forum are deserving of a forum to discuss their beliefs with one another. They feel that because we want people to follow the rules of the forum, again put into place by the moderators and the owners of this site, we are some how not willing to discuss in fellowship. However, this is not the truth at all. All we ask is a respect for the rules and our beliefs. Unfortunately, that appears to be to much for some folks.

Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a large forum. This large forum has sub forums. Because of the number of sub forums it is necessary for the moderators and the owners of this forum to institute rules for each of the individual sub forums. The rules dictate the behavior and discussion that is acceptable. In the denominational sub forums the moderators and owners of this site have determined that there is not to be debate or teaching by those who do not agree with that denomination. That rule is in place to make the sub forums a safe haven for each of the denominations to post without being rebutted by every single person who doesn't agree with them. There is of course a forum for discussing and debating theology. Sadly, some people do not feel that the Catholics on this forum are deserving of a forum to discuss their beliefs with one another. They feel that because we want people to follow the rules of the forum, again put into place by the moderators and the owners of this site, we are some how not willing to discuss in fellowship. However, this is not the truth at all. All we ask is a respect for the rules and our beliefs. Unfortunately, that appears to be to much for some folks.
That is completely understandable, and a very professional way of conducting your forums. I hope the attitude on this site isn't that Catholics don't deserve their own forums, but if that's the case then there's work to be done to fix this! Everyone here should have a place to safely communicate with like-minded individuals, and I apologize if I have disturbed that -since I am eager to engage in dialogue with people who may not agree with me. I always try to be respectful, and have meant no disrespect by anything I have said on this thread.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has not been my experience. I respect the beliefs and feelings of all......Yet I've been told to leave the area because advice I've given went against catholic beliefs of which I have no knowledge...and therefore my opinion was not welcomed. I totally agree that discussions of beliefs should not be argued anywhere.....but these are general advice and situational threads that I've been told to shut up on.......and I have to admit that I sometimes respond without checking the forum.......after explaining this to them, the "Catholic Only" writings in subject titles started being instituted......which helps me out a lot......as it is not my intention to go where i am not welcomed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand. I like to reason together with all individuals as we all are on a personal path and have personal relationships with God outside of whichever denomination we associate with. I never link a person to the beliefs of a group....and find it disheartening sometimes when my words are weighed against the denom i listed in my profile......actually had to change it once to help this situation....but the broadest option was just "Christian" but even this is enough to exclude me from certain conversations.... But it is all good. lets get back to the thread.

It is best that we dont judge at all....not by appearance...or by the group of letters listed on our profiles next to denom.........or by past conversations with persons who happened to have shared the same group of letters....

• Agree
Reactions: PumptheBrakes
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh yeah. I chalk it up to human nature.

I started working for our local news channel about two weeks before I graduated college last fall (yes, I'm 30, yes I did only just graduate college).

For the past few years they've had this reporter on there whom struck me as a dumb blonde. She seemed more interested in the outfits she wore when she was on-camera rather than doing quality reporting.

Well since I've started working there I've actually overheard her on several occasions and I realized she's like the sweetest person in the world. She has genuine love and concern for her coworkers, and works her butt off as a reporter. She's actually great at her job and an asset to the station.

So in short, I'm the idiot.

thanks for the story fenwick, yes this is what I mean.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I understand. I like to reason together with all individuals as we all are on a personal path and have personal relationships with God outside of whichever denomination we associate with. I never link a person to the beliefs of a group....and find it disheartening sometimes when my words are weighed against the denom i listed in my profile......actually had to change it once to help this situation....but the broadest option was just "Christian" but even this is enough to exclude me from certain conversations.... But it is all good. lets get back to the thread.

It is best that we dont judge at all....not by appearance...or by the group of letters listed on our profiles next to denom.........or by past conversations with persons who happened to have shared the same group of letters....
Theoretically and generally, sure. But when Catholics engage in a conversation that Protestants or any other non Catholics don't understand, (ie, Mary veneration, stations of the cross, fasting from meat during lent..as examples, there are many more ) then you get people coming in and wanting to argue the point when there is really nothing to debate at all. It's that toe may toe -- toe mah toe sort of thing, and I think frequent members of this forum get tired of the line being continually crossed.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theoretically and generally, sure. But when Catholics engage in a conversation that Protestants or any other non Catholics don't understand, (ie, Mary veneration, stations of the cross, fasting from meat during lent..as examples, there are many more ) then you get people coming in and wanting to argue the point when there is really nothing to debate at all. It's that toe may toe -- toe mah toe sort of thing, and I think frequent members of this forum get tired of the line being continually crossed.
I totally understand.... It can get tiring to be confronted with arguments when you want prayer and fellowship. My apologies again for posting on this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

http://blog.adw.org/2018/03/twelve-steps-pride/

http://blog.adw.org/2013/03/the-twe...f-pride-according-to-st-bernard-of-clairvaux/

Upvote 0