Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is a gal at work, young gal. Very Catholic, observant. Daily Mass , the nine yards. Young girl. Sometimes she’s rude and short. But anyways recently took a vacation to Mexico during lent. So in my mind I’m thinking oh way to fast during lent mrs. Moses. As it turns out, she was taking her mother on the trip to knock an item off her bucket list. I felt like a prize ass for judging. So, anyone else ever make snap judgments and regret it?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is a gal at work, young gal. Very Catholic, observant. Daily Mass , the nine yards. Young girl. Sometimes she’s rude and short. But anyways recently took a vacation to Mexico during lent. So in my mind I’m thinking oh way to fast during lent mrs. Moses. As it turns out, she was taking her mother on the trip to knock an item off her bucket list. I felt like a prize ass for judging. So, anyone else ever make snap judgments and regret it?
All the time. You are not the only one.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Might I ask what you were judging her for? I feel like I'm missing context. I guess I don't understand what going on vacation to Mexico has to do with Lent.

Lent is about fasting and observing our mortality. It is meant to be a time of abstaining from worldly things....such as lavish vacations.

Judging is so hard to not do. I know I am guilty of it from time to time. I always feel awful afterwards lol. Its like a big chocolate shake. Looks so good...then you drink it all and you realize you regret it!

Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess I never thought of lent very much. I know what it means to a lot of Christians, but for me and my family it's always been a time to appreciate little things. A common one is giving up fast food and just eating together as a family for a month, or giving up sugar and discovering new ways to enjoy fruits.

I understand the judging, I'm guilty of it all the time. But I've never really heard anyone talk about lent outside of my family before.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I guess I never thought of lent very much. I know what it means to a lot of Christians, but for me and my family it's always been a time to appreciate little things. A common one is giving up fast food and just eating together as a family for a month, or giving up sugar and discovering new ways to enjoy fruits.

I understand the judging, I'm guilty of it all the time. But I've never really heard anyone talk about lent outside of my family before.
Lent is an opportunity for taking your faith seriously, and hopefully a bit of permanent change results. We are supposed to be attuned to our own sacrifices, our own mortification. Not about how well others are going about their mortification. It is the season that Christianity has done this for almost two thousand years now.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Lent is an opportunity for taking your faith seriously, and hopefully a bit of permanent change results. We are supposed to be attuned to our own sacrifices, our own mortification. Not about how well others are going about their mortification. It is the season that Christianity has done this for almost two thousand years now.

This has been very helpful to me too.

Thank you.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But every day we should be taking our faith seriously, and everyone is going to approach lent in the way that they see appropriate. Our salvation isn't based on our mortification or what we give up, but grace through our faith in what Christ gave.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But every day we should be taking our faith seriously ...
Yes, every day we should be taking our faith seriously. We should make constant significant progress every day in letting God draw us ever closer. But somehow most of us are more like roller coasters. We advance and we slide back. So a season of concentration is a good thing.
and everyone is going to approach lent in the way that they see appropriate.
You get to do that if you wish. The point in this thread is that it is not about judging how other people do their Lent.
Our salvation isn't based on our mortification or what we give up, but grace through our faith in what Christ gave.
I think you might want to learn a bit more about the purposes of Lent before you come in here and tell us about what our salvation is or isn't based on. You are a guest here and you might learn something if you are willing. But telling us your opinions of how we are all wet about salvation is hardly a good start to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use to judge all the time and felt good about it, in my extremely religious, self-righteous, holy-hanger-in-my-shirt days. Since starting a spiritual journey, Ive realized that the only one I can judge and have been judging in the past.....Is/was myself.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use to judge all the time and felt good about in my extremely religious, self-righteous, holy-hanger-in-my-shirt days. Since starting a spiritual journey, Ive realized that the only one I can judge and have been judging in the past.....Is/was myself.....
Same.

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, every day we should be taking our faith seriously. We should make constant significant progress every day in letting God draw us ever closer. But somehow most of us are more like roller coasters. We advance and we slide back. So a season of concentration is a good thing.

You get to do that if you wish. The point in this thread is that it is not about judging how other people do their Lent.

I think you might want to learn a bit more about the purposes of Lent before you come in here and tell us about what our salvation is or isn't based on. You are a guest here and you might learn something if you are willing. But telling us your opinions of how we are all wet about salvation is hardly a good start to that.
Your first point I completely agree on, and I apologize that my remark implied that our development as Christians is a constant.

Your second point I don't really see the point of: we can all echo times we've judged and agree that passing these judgements are bad, but the context of the OP was lent, so that is what I want to talk about.

Your last point... I am new to this forum, discovered it today, but I didn't discover Christ today too. I have learned many things and have valuable ideas to bring to the table, and that is definitely not saying I'm done learning, I'll never run out of things to learn. But don't act embarrassed when I reiterate the foundation of our salvation, instead we should work our understanding of our Christian traditions around that truth.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I give it the benefit of the doubt that everyone here is on a spiritual journey. That doesn't mean we don't sin. That doesn't mean we don't make mistakes and it certainly doesn't preclude anyone from pre judging, if anything the temptation is more prevalent, at least speaking for myself.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Your first point I completely agree on, and I apologize that my remark implied that our development as Christians is a constant.

Your second point I don't really see the point of: we can all echo times we've judged and agree that passing these judgements are bad, but the context of the OP was lent, so that is what I want to talk about.

Your last point... I am new to this forum, discovered it today, but I didn't discover Christ today too. I have learned many things and have valuable ideas to bring to the table, and that is definitely not saying I'm done learning, I'll never run out of things to learn. But don't act embarrassed when I reiterate the foundation of our salvation, instead we should work our understanding of our Christian traditions around that truth.
You have stumbled into a Catholic forum and maybe it just seems like you are trying to tell us that we're all wet? Maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't want to be pre-judging you.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have stumbled into a Catholic forum and maybe it just seems like you are trying to tell us that we're all wet? Maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't want to be pre-judging you.
I'm not trying to say anyone is "wet" because I have no right to make that statement. Perhaps this is a denominational difference. I'd hope conversation is welcome anywhere in the Christian community, and I'm just throwing ideas out there for discussion.

Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We’ve had a recent run of non-Catholics dropping in and telling us how wrong we are, which is a violation of rules. As long as you keep it respectful, no problem.
I didn't know that. I do know that a lot of non-Catholics have very strong opinions about the Catholic church, but as someone who grew up with a Catholic dad I'd like to believe we are all one body and can respect one-another. Crossing denominational lines is a passion of mine, because I want to know more and maybe open channels for dialogue.

Upvote 0

PumptheBrakes

Mar 16, 2018
St. Paul
✟15,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You will find that your opinions will not be welcomed everywhere here.....Some want answers only from those who share the same denomination and beliefs.... I've found this segregation to be most prevalent in the Catholic forums; with a recent slew of threads with "catholic only" in the title...just to make sure we get the point. We are not all One on this site.... But dont let that discourage you....you can still learn and, if you have wisdom....it will be heard by everyone who needs to hear/read it......
That's sad, but not unlike what I've observed by Catholics and non-Catholics alike around me in real life. I used to have this grand idea of starting a public campaign to try and bring the denominations together, but I've grown to appreciate the differences and think that we should instead learn from each other. I don't think I have wisdom, but I'm in search of it. Any conversation is valuable for learning, so I'm just here on this site to talk.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0