Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, cuz God would have no idea what Scripture would exist in the future, so He certainly couldn't have inspired such a statement that would include those future Scriptures. :doh:

He wouldn't have approved of the Masoretic text that took out many references to Christ.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. I wouldn't agree. I'd say we should be looking for God.

Okay, well being contrary is not going to help. End of my discussion with you on this subject.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our parish has 'coffee hour' immediately after Liturgy. It is treated much like a 'potluck' with differing families hosting it week to week. The 'menu' varies depending on time of year and who is hosting. I attend a Greek church but my family is Scots-Irish. We team up with another family (or two) when we host and we tend to make the menu 'Irish'. Because of this, we have been scheduled on or near Saint Patrick's Day (and my name day is the following day).

That sounds very cool. I love services where people actually communicate with one another like a community instead of heading for the door like someone pulled the fire alarm.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean from the earliest days? For one, the services are much shorter. (often called Superbowl friendly)

In those days the entire story of Christ's life was told in great detail in a single service. VERY LONG.

This was broken up in the 500's so that parts were told in the same way on the same date by every Christian Church... thus the Church calendar was born.

There are some other small differences. May I suggest a book? Dom Gregory Dix, an Anglican, put together a wonderful study called the "Shape of the Liturgy".

Forgive me...

Thanks. Much appreciate the response.

Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Truly amazing how the same people moan about Catholic doctrines etc. People who are really uneducated in Catholicism.

How would Sola Scripture believers have managed before the Bible was assembled?

Also, many, many, many, many people could not read or write so how would they have been able to use sola scripture?

Also, people complain about Catholic Doctrine but remember it was Catholic people who chose and assembled the Bible with the Holy Spirit guiding them!

Trying to convince a Catholic that the doctrine is unbiblical is worthless as we can come up with scripture as has been shown again and again but it is always either ignored or pushed to one side!

Praying to Mary, to the Saints is God given as far as a Catholic is concerned. Many miracles have happened to prove the power of these prayers. Many documented miracles of people praying to Mary or certain Saints. God would not do these miracles if they were not just and worthy.

As I said before. God works in mysterious ways. God works outside of scripture too. He is not only accessible just in scripture.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Truly amazing how the same people moan about Catholic doctrines etc. People who are really uneducated in Catholicism.

How would Sola Scripture believers have managed before the Bible was assembled?

Also, many, many, many, many people could not read or write so how would they have been able to use sola scripture?

Also, people complain about Catholic Doctrine but remember it was Catholic people who chose and assembled the Bible with the Holy Spirit guiding them!

Trying to convince a Catholic that the doctrine is unbiblical is worthless as we can come up with scripture as has been shown again and again but it is always either ignored or pushed to one side!

Praying to Mary, to the Saints is God given as far as a Catholic is concerned. Many miracles have happened to prove the power of these prayers. Many documented miracles of people praying to Mary or certain Saints. God would not do these miracles if they were not just and worthy.

As I said before. God works in mysterious ways. God works outside of scripture too. He is not only accessible just in scripture.
So it seems you admit you have no Biblical defense of praying to Mary, the actual point of the thread.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's completely abnormal. Do you always go to someone's mother before you talk to them? Did you go to Faith Alone's mother before responding on the thread? Is there a single instance of anyone going to Mary to get her to ask Jesus for something? No. Not one.
Now we don't. Then it was common for the queen mother to be asked for favors from the king.
Because in normal life, we know this to be absurd unless the individual is a child and still under the authority of a parent. Jesus is no child and He's no longer under the parenting of Mary. Unless you still think of Jesus as a mere child, of course.
Today is different from yesterday. You're looking at ancient Scripture in today's mindset.
The wedding is not an example, because no one came to Mary to ask her to inquire of Jesus about anything. That wouldn't even make sense because His miracles hadn't started yet. No one else would even think about going to Him to resolve the issue.
How do you know for sure. Nobody but Mary knew Jesus was the son of God.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I think I did. Why would you go on and on about why you don't need a Biblical defense unless you're acknowledging that you don't have a Biblical defense?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Now we don't. Then it was common for the queen mother to be asked for favors from the king. Today is different from yesterday. You're looking at ancient Scripture in today's mindset.

She is not now nor has ever been a "queen mother". And there is still no single instance recorded where someone went to Mary to get something from Jesus

How do you know for sure. Nobody but Mary knew Jesus was the son of God.

I know for sure because I read the passage without adding anything to it.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
She is not now nor has ever been a "queen mother". And there is still no single instance recorded where someone went to Mary to get something from Jesus

I know for sure because I read the passage without adding anything to it.

You read it but interpreted it incorrectly!

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, those Scriptures that never actually say what you guys claim? Yes, you have shown those again and again.

See, when I say "Biblical defense", I'm referring to passages that actually say what you guys are claiming. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear about that I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Now we don't. Then it was common for the queen mother to be asked for favors from the king.
A "queen mother" is, by definition, required to have been married to a king in order to have that title. Mary was never married to a king. Therefore, she is disqualified from being a "queen mother".

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh, those Scriptures that never actually say what you guys claim? Yes, you have shown those again and again.

See, when I say "Biblical defense", I'm referring to passages that actually say what you guys are claiming. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear about that I guess.

Scripture has been shown but you refuse to accept them. But I forgot that as a Sola Scripture person you only interpret things literally or with your own slant on it.

Sorry buddy

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that reporting hate and lies won't do any good, so...
image.jpg

Look friend. I do not hate you as a person or any other Catholic for that matter. I am commanded by God to love the sinner and hate the sin. Just because I find the RCC practices to be unbiblical does not mean I am lying to you. I have shown you Scripture as to help explain to you why I believe the way I do. So no. I am not lying. If you need me to explain things better with Scripture, I would be happy to do that. All you have to do is ask.

Anyways, as for you choosing to place me on ignore: Well, you made a better decision. Putting me on ignore is better than persecuting me for standing by what I believe is true.

May God's love shine upon you;
And may you please be well.
I hope you see one day what I am talking about.
Peace be unto you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.