Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If my prayer is only addressed to Jesus alone without mentioning Father and Holy Spirit,
is my prayer effective and accepted by God?
The NT shows we pray to the Father. Jesus said to ask in His Name.

We pray in the Holy Spirit, to the Father in Jesus Name.

Another proof of the Trinity.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If my prayer is only addressed to Jesus alone without mentioning Father and Holy Spirit,

I mean saying JESUS name embodies the father/son/holy spirit. You don't have to name all 3 you can just say JESUS. Now depending on if you're a oneness guy or trinity guy the meaning of my first sentence varies. The point is simply though to call on the name of JESUS though it allows you access.

He says all kness bow at that name and there isn't salvation in any other, so yeah just utilize the name.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'm sure it's perfectly fine....Jesus is God and why not pray to him? Others did:

We should pray to Jesus so that Jesus can be our mediator with the Father.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Normally you speak directly to a mediator and then he goes to the other on your behalf....thats what the word means. Between us and God the Father is Jesus Christ! To pray to the Father directly really bypasses the mediator with barely a mention of his name but leaves him almost totally out of the communication.

1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Jesus is the truth, the light, the way, no body can come to the father but through Him.

Paul prayed to Jesus when he besought the Lord to remove his thorn in the flesh (2 Corinthians 12:8).

So no problem there.

I pray to Jesus alot and Prayers get answered

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

In our Church, we have prayers addressed to the Father, prayers addressed to Christ, prayers addressed to the Holy Spirit, and prayers addressed to the Holy Trinity.

They are all effective and accepted, as far as form.

[staff edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When God revealed Himself to me in the centre of a golf course in the middle of the night, I became aware of Him as the Father. I think that was the result of the prayer that Jesus gave to His disciples as a pattern of prayer. It starts as "Our Father in heaven". Therefore I have always addressed God as Father, because that was how He revealed Himself to me.

The Lord's prayer was never meant to be a formular to be chanted and quoted. It was meant to be a pattern of the types of requests that we can make to God. It is more like a list of prayer headings, like what we see on our emails. We download the headings and then we open up our emails one by one to read the content.

On that golf course, I spent 30 minutes discussing with God what His Fatherhood meant to me. I intended to discuss all of the Lord's prayer, but I was so blown away with what the Holy Spirit revealed to me about the Fatherhood of God, that I didn't think of progressing further than that at the time. The Fatherhood of God is such a big principle that it takes up our whole thinking and overwhelms us when we meditate on it. At the time I think that God wanted to burn it into my brain that He was my heavenly Father and I was His son. It was the start of a very personal and meaningful relationship that transcended any church involvement or affiliation that I had. What this meant was that God comes before any church, and so if I come into conflict with any church I am involved with, I can walk away from it without thinking that I am walking away from God. Churches can bring us into bondage to them and they can demand our worship in place of God Himself. Putting a church before God is a form of idolatory, and that is why so many believers in churches like that come so far short of really knowing God and continue in bondage to a religious system and spirit instead of being free in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The NT shows we pray to the Father. Jesus said to ask in His Name.

We pray in the Holy Spirit, to the Father in Jesus Name.

Another proof of the Trinity.
How does one automatically derive a trinity from that scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have the habit to use the word LORD in my prayer, and end with "in Jesus holy name, Amen".
Will that be OK?

Even a breath prayer like only say "My God!", "Where are You, God?", God accepts it.

The most important thing is the sincere intent of the heart.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean saying JESUS name embodies the father/son/holy spirit. You don't have to name all 3 you can just say JESUS. Now depending on if you're a oneness guy or trinity guy the meaning of my first sentence varies. The point is simply though to call on the name of JESUS though it allows you access.

He says all kness bow at that name and there isn't salvation in any other, so yeah just utilize the name.
I agree with you

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There's nothing wrong with praying to Jesus. It doesn't make it any more or less "effective". God isn't a stickler that only hears certain prayers if they meet all the acceptable standards. God hears all prayers.

Praying in "Jesus name" is so misunderstood. This is not a magic incantation. Praying in the name of Jesus means according to his will. When we say "in Jesus name" (something I don't really do), at best it is an affirmation of our hope that what we pray is according to God's will.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. - Acts 3:6-7

And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. - Acts 16:18

No name of any but Jesus... And it was not even a prayer! But a commandment in the name of Jesus!

Father I pray blessings on this request and discernment in this matter in Jesus name I pray. Also taking these needs before God in prayer on the 1:15PM bbnradio.org Family Altar program.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said ask Him.

Jesus said pray like this and started out by saying Our Father.

Paul tells us to pray in the Spirit.

Pray to the Father, in the Spirit asking Jesus.

Very much the same we are baptized in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

• Winner
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Trinity means "three" and those 3 are the only ones who never were created and are all divine and eternal having no beginning. That can't be said about anyone or anything else....not Lucifer, or any archangel or angel or living creature. Only those 3! The real question is how is the Trinity not found in them?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0