Praying to be Saved

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Hi -

This probably should be in Christian Theology or Christian Apologetics, but no matter!

I realized that I was saved and then I prayed for repentence. So I cannot give you an exact date, nor process, etc. I began going to church, reading the Bible, was gifted by the Holy Spirit and THEN realized what had happened. Then I prayed! But that's me - always backwards! :)

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Isserty_Dawn said:
I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. But, I'll just go ahead and ask.
How many people believe that you have to pray to be saved and why?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Do you mean do you have to say the "sinner's prayer" like some sort of agreement with God?

I don't believe that's true. I don't think there's anything wrong with the sinner's prayer but it's not necessary. I think it can be a good way to put your decision to follow Christ in perspective and give a face to it but the bottom line is that God knows your heart.

If you have decided to repent and follow Christ, even if the words are unspoken, God knows and will honor your decision.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

sjanae76

Aug 4, 2004
Ohio
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whoever believes in me shall be saved.

Once you believe, you are saved. Of course, once you are, you'll pray! When you are saved, you are born spiritually. You need to pray, read your Bible, and fellowship with other Christians in order to grow.

~I am still an infant~

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

James1979

Mar 3, 2004
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Sinner's prayer, seven steps to heaven etc. That's not we get saved because if that was the case, what about those who are mentally ill, those who didn't make it into the world. There has to be only one way to heaven and that's through the Lord Jesus Christ himself, God. If we look at ourselves with prayer and any other way to get saved, that's a self-center man salvation rather look to God for salvation.

Lamentation 3:26
[It is] good that [a man] should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

Upvote 0

JohnJones

Jun 29, 2004
✟1,084.00
Faith
Christian
Read Acts 9 and Acts 22. Paul saw Jesus then prayed and fasted for 3 days. Then Ananias came and told him "Why do you tarry? Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord." But he'd been praying for 3 days now, so if praying the "Sinner's Prayer" is how people get their sins forgiven, he'd have already had 'em forgiven, but he didn't - Ananias said he needed to get baptized to have 'em washed away. So, praying for salvation aint enough.

Upvote 0

James1979

Mar 3, 2004
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
"A person who prayes to be saved is probably already saved. The desire is evidence that the Holy Spirit is working on you."

Not necessarily. If God had chosen that person before the foundation of the world then that person will be saved. Anyone can pray to God and let their desires be known to God to hope that they are one his elect, but that doesn't guarantee our salvation at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.