Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
When I’m not sure what to pray for, when I know what to pray for but can’t seem to find the words or when I find a passage of scripture that stick in my mind I pray it. I have found the following prayer in one of my old journals from a few years ago. I’ll post it here to encourage others to pray the scriptures. Praying the scriptures has lead me to better and more frequent rumination on the word and I personally found this manner of praying to be a perfect preparation for those sweet moments of reflection and meditation upon God’s word. It has been a helpful practice an essential practice for me personally to pray in this manner.

(Eph1:1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Father, I thank you for the Holy Spirit, who brings life giving power, who made this unworthy sinner alive!​

(1:2) Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is because of your dear son Jesus Christ I can approach you, by His blood I can enter into this Holy Place of prayer and receive forgiveness.​

(1:3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

With my soul renewed, communion with you revived, I now see the sinfulness of my sin. Let me love you dear Jesus with my whole heart and life.​

(1:4-5) According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

You are truly a merciful God who remembers my sin no more. I beg you for continued mercy, that I may glorify you with my life, even when I know I do not deserve it.​

(1:6) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

In Christ I was raised from the ruination of my past sins where I now abide above positionally in Christ in heaven and I thank you Lord.​

(1:7) In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Lord God I thank you for Jesus! Oh how I love my Saviour…who bled and died, displaying love and purchasing grace that’s so amazing.​

(1:8) Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

And that gift of faith Dear Father, the salvation you wrought in my life, will always be before my eyes. Jesus will always be in my heart. Holy Spirit enable me to live as you have called me to live, as salt and light.
In Jesus name I pray. Amen​

Yours in the Lord,

jm

HowdyDave@

Br. Athanasy; Obl.SB (Orthodox Benedictine Oblate)
Mar 28, 2017
USA
✟14,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
"Praying the scriptures" in an old and well known discipline in Christianity (especially monastic disciplines.)
It is called: Lectio Divina (Latin for "Divine Reading.")
As an Orthodox Benedictine, it is part of my daily rule.

There are all sorts of references available that show one how to get started in this spiritual discipline. Just walk into the closest Roman Catholic Church and ask the priest about it. A person's theology does not to be the same as yours when it comes to matters of Christian Formation.

see: Lectio Divina - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

HowdyDave@

Br. Athanasy; Obl.SB (Orthodox Benedictine Oblate)
Mar 28, 2017
USA
✟14,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
When I’m not sure what to pray for, when I know what to pray for but can’t seem to find the words or when I find a passage of scripture that stick in my mind I pray it.

In Orthodoxy, we have something called: The Jesus Prayer:

"Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

I have learned that this is the simplest and most complete prayer that one can ever pray.

It basically says: "Jesus, You know what I need a whole lot better than I do, please take care of it."

Jesus Prayer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In Orthodoxy, we have something called: The Jesus Prayer:

"Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

I have learned that this is the simplest and most complete prayer that one can ever pray.

It basically says: "Jesus, You know what I need a whole lot better than I do, please take care of it."

Jesus Prayer
As someone who use to attend an Orthodox Church for 2 years I am familiar with the Jesus Prayer, I have practiced it and read The way of the Pilgrim and titles by Kallistos Ware, Frederica Matthews-Green and of course the classic by Ignatius Brianchaninov. I still have my prayer ropes form Mt. Athos and my icons.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0