Stan53

Dec 6, 2005
Victoria
✟16,411.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I have never heard of it. I guess this is what happens when one joins the Anglican Communion later on. I was saved and born again for 30 years before I joined the communion. To me, the concept of using a prayer book for my prayers is some how foreign to my experience.
Oh, yes, I do prayer. All the time. In fact I couldn't imagine life without conversation with Christ.
Interesting. Must read up on this "Praying The Hours".

Upvote 0

RestoreTheRiver

Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Kokomo, Indiana USA
✟18,586.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also use Common Worship for Morning and Evening Prayer. We use the Compline from the same source at our bible study/body life meetings at Christ The King.

My wife, Linda, and I often say Evening Prayer together. This practice has greatly enriched our walk with the Lord, and our marriage. For a time, we used Celtic Daily Prayer for this purpose. It's good, especially for people just coming to the Daily Office. At this point, however, Common Worship, and other sources that more fully reflect the timeless prayer of the Church, suit us better.

Friend Stan, I urge you to try this ancient pattern of prayer. The prayers of the church both enable us, and teach us, to pray. There is a depth and wonder in joining in the prayer of the church through the ages. And, there is nothing in this practice to discourage our own prayers. In fact, such are encouraged, and enriched.

Michael

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
When I was a student, I did the Daily Offices (Morning and Evening Prayer and Compline) from the Canadian BCP with a group. I am not as regular now, but I still use the same ones slightly modified to use alone, or I use a version of the prayers for use in families if my children are involved.

Upvote 0

Healed_IHS

May 5, 2007
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do a variation of the hours. In the morning I go through the prayer of self dedication from the BCP, affirm my baptismal committment (I renounce Satan...), Apostle's Creed, the Pater Noster, the remaining part (I will, with God's help...), and end with a period of intercessional prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grigorii

Feb 19, 2006
✟8,456.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How many of us here pray the hours, and what version do we use?

I pray morning and evening prayer using the new "REC Prayerbook," (almost exactly the 1662) and night prayer using "Christian Prayer"

Anglican Breviary - Matins to Compline.

Fr. Gregory +

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anglican Breviary - Matins to Compline.

Fr. Gregory +
Fr. Gregory,

I second that as an excellent resource, although I am guilty of not getting it all done every day.

The Anglican Breviary continues the language from the KJV Bible and Coverdale Psalms within the larger tradition of the Daily Office of the Western Church.

Its scriptural readings are also synched with the readings from the 1928 BCP.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's the feel of the Mariology in the Anglican Breviary? Is it more prominent and similar to the RC?
You might say it is identical to the RC. The Anglican Breviary itself is based on a translation of the 1911 Reform of the Latin Secular Breviary.

What is different is that the Coverdale Psalms and KJV scriptures are used rather than Latin. Also, the collects and readings for Sunday, and other Holy days, are synched with those from the 1928 BCP.

From the Breviary website: The Anglican Breviary

Nevertheless, the Anglican Breviary is in substance identical with its Latin original except where obvious changes were necessary to conform it to Prayer-Book usages; that is to say, the substance of the Latin Breviary (or its devotional content) is expressed in the accidents of Latin liturgy (Latin Scripture, Hymns, and the like), and in the Anglican Breviary this substance is expressed in the accidents of Anglican liturgy (English versions of Scripture, Hymns, and so forth). Thus, while the Anglican Breviary is not a mere translation from the Latin, it has been kept faithful to the spirit, meaning and purpose of its Latin original.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
W

Wildcat48

You might say it is identical to the RC. The Anglican Breviary itself is based on a translation of the 1911 Reform of the Latin Secular Breviary.

What is different is that the Coverdale Psalms and KJV scriptures are used rather than Latin. Also, the collects and readings for Sunday, and other Holy days, are synched with those from the 1928 BCP.

From the Breviary website:
Nevertheless, the Anglican Breviary is in substance identical with its Latin original except where obvious changes were necessary to conform it to Prayer-Book usages; that is to say, the substance of the Latin Breviary (or its devotional content) is expressed in the accidents of Latin liturgy (Latin Scripture, Hymns, and the like), and in the Anglican Breviary this substance is expressed in the accidents of Anglican liturgy (English versions of Scripture, Hymns, and so forth). Thus, while the Anglican Breviary is not a mere translation from the Latin, it has been kept faithful to the spirit, meaning and purpose of its Latin original.

Interesting. I just wondered if they were references to dogmas such as the Assumption or the Immaculate Conception that are not a part of traditional/historic Anglicanism (not insinuating they are incompatible, just not traditional).

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
Interesting. I just wondered if they were references to dogmas such as the Assumption or the Immaculate Conception that are not a part of traditional/historic Anglicanism (not insinuating they are incompatible, just not traditional).

Yes, there are. Some of the content has been changed so that it does not mirror the Roman counterpart exactly, but it is thoroughly Catholic.

Upvote 0
W

Wildcat48

Yes, there are. Some of the content has been changed so that it does not mirror the Roman counterpart exactly, but it is thoroughly Catholic.

Nice to see another Episcopalian/Anglican from TN! We are few and far between I'm afraid. We got lost in the sea of Southern Baptists...:p

That's interesting. I suppose it reflects the Anglo-Catholic/Anglo-Papal movement. Not to be ornery, but I might rephrase it and say it's thoroughly Roman Catholic, but not necessarily Catholic as in the tradition of the universal church. Though I'm sure we're bound to disagree...:D

Upvote 0