praying in tongues aloud

Denvercross

Jul 7, 2013
✟7,631.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Tongues is a gift. And it's not everybody that received it. Churches put pressure on individuals to pray in tongues and those who can't, are judged. As all the other gifts some persons may never receive it, even by practicing. Plus, in the Bible tongues doesn't seem to be that essential. It is fruitful for yourself alone and not for the others because they don't understand what you say in tongues. It's only between you and God. I know how to pray in tongues but I'd rather know other gifts. Note that people who want to continually pray in tongues show a sign of spiritual immaturity. The only powerful use I find to tongues is that they cast out demons and put you right up in communion with God.

Upvote 0

Levi777

May 24, 2014
Washington State
✟15,165.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tongues is a gift. And it's not everybody that received it. Churches put pressure on individuals to pray in tongues and those who can't, are judged. As all the other gifts some persons may never receive it, even by practicing. Plus, in the Bible tongues doesn't seem to be that essential. It is fruitful for yourself alone and not for the others because they don't understand what you say in tongues. It's only between you and God. I know how to pray in tongues but I'd rather know other gifts. Note that people who want to continually pray in tongues show a sign of spiritual immaturity. The only powerful use I find to tongues is that they cast out demons and put you right up in communion with God.

At the Assemblies of God church we used to attend, before we moved across state, one of the elders on pretty much every Sunday would give a message in tongues, and the Pastor would interpret. Only those two men.

Now, the base and immature would say that it was some comfortable construct between these two men, and while the pastor spoke nothing false, it wasn't from the Spirit. Is that not false prophesying?

So, where do you go about these kinds of matters? You go to Jesus. The reply was pretty quick. My question: "Why does the message always seem to be saying the same things when the elder speaks and the pastor translates?"

As always, when Jesus explains something, there's the understanding that is more than a simple answer. He gave me the understanding that the Pastor is indeed interpreting, and the elder always says the same thing because that is what fills his heart.

Some time later, I shared what God had told me with the elder, and as he displayed some usual sign of emotion, he thanked me in that he was greatly affirmed. The gist of the message was always about God's holiness, and righteousness, and His great love and enduring power for all creation.

Both this man and the Pastor pray in Tongues in private.

Now, back track...At college, I disagreed with the official A/G position that if you do not pray in tongues, you do not have the secondary gift of grace; the infilling of the Holy Spirit. I have known people who display the gifts of healings, or discernments, or gifts of knowledge, yet do not pray in tongues. Jesus said, "If you have faith as the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain 'Be removed and cast into the sea', and it will be done for you." Jesus did NOT say "If you have faith as the size of a mustard seed and pray in tongues...

The A/G dogma did not much appreciate my views, while lauding me for speaking my mind and backing up my views with something resembling the truth, or something like that.

I've also had the ignominious experience of standing before an evangelist, God moving all about the place, and having gone up for prayer, was a bit unnerved by everyone in line before me being "slain in the Spirit". I was not so consumed by God that I could not stand, and He was speaking to me, and working out some things in my life. When the man approached me, he put one hand behind my head, and one hand on my forehead, and began to pray in tongues. Then, he pushed my forehead back. I resisted. He pushed again. I resisted. Finally he gave up and said, "Well, you just stand there and pray."

God can work mightily based on an individual's faith regardless of the nature of the walk of the visiting evangelist, or even the Pastor. (Eli and Hannah, 1 Samuel 1). And if tongues are not viewed as a wonderful, intimate gift of power from the Holy Spirit, then no one should feel constrained to speak in tongues, lest they speak gibberish and call it good.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: ... in the Bible tongues doesn't seem to be that essential.

Tongues are to glorify G_d (John 15:26), help pray in the spirit to Him (I cor 14), magnify Him (Acts 10:47), helps keep us in the love of God (Jude 1:20-21), etc.

posted: As all the other gifts some persons may never receive it,

If you look at the groups that received tongues, it states "all" received (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 10:44; 19:2) with one exception - on the Day of Pentecost, not in the Upper Room, where there were mockers of tongues.

G_d gives good gifts (Matt 7:11).

Upvote 0

DannLeavitt

In Christ Alone.
May 14, 2014
New Brunswick
✟8,368.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
...the cause of the limitations was the misuse of the gift, which took a holy thing and caused an offense.

Further, in the book of Acts, the initial outpouring was known world languages. I might be speaking Swahili and not know it.

:amen::thumbsup:
I've heard a few missionaries that have given testimonies of speaking out in tongues in an area they were unfamiliar with, and one of the members in the crowd was being spoken to in their native tongue by God.

I don't believe that tongues are ever a bunch of gibberish. Those are false tongues. Real tongues will always be used in conversation to either A) God, or B) Other people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Levi777

May 24, 2014
Washington State
✟15,165.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:amen::thumbsup:
I've heard a few missionaries that have given testimonies of speaking out in tongues in an area they were unfamiliar with, and one of the members in the crowd was being spoken to in their native tongue by God.

I don't believe that tongues are ever a bunch of gibberish. Those are false tongues. Real tongues will always be used in conversation to either A) God, or B) Other people.

I agree, Daniel. We may not know if we are speaking a foreign language from this earth. I tried it once, and spoke tongues to a group of Russian sailors. They laughed, clapped me on the back and walked on ( I was a street missionary in Seattle ) I don't know if I spoke in Russian or not, but hey, without faith, nothing can happen, right?

Have you ever read the book "They Speak With Other Tongues"? by John and Elizabeth Sherrill? I would say it's a great defense against atheistic denouncement, and also discussions with people who think it's from the devil, but atheists typically reject any truth for their agenda..."There is no God, therefore..." I mean, "the fool has said in his heart' there is no God'" What can you say to a fool, but "excuse me...goodbye"?

Anyway, in that book, John Sherrill recounts how he was an unbeliever in tongues, and thought it was a wrong belief. So he set out to investigate, being a reporter and all for Guideposts Magazine. He recorded people speaking in tongues, speaking obscure, little know languages, and gibberish. Then he had a panel of 6 linguists listen to the tapes. They picked out the gibberish right away, and said it was gibberish. The obscure languages some of them knew, and so the cat was out of the bag. And with the Tongues, they all agreed they formed the pattern of speech, yet none of them knew the language. However they all agreed that it was indeed a spoken language.

I suppose that book and John Sherrill's research should be required reading for any who believe they speak in tongues, or are afeared of such speaking.

Upvote 0

Denvercross

Jul 7, 2013
✟7,631.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
posted: ... in the Bible tongues doesn't seem to be that essential.

Tongues are to glorify G_d (John 15:26), help pray in the spirit to Him (I cor 14), magnify Him (Acts 10:47), helps keep us in the love of God (Jude 1:20-21), etc.

posted: As all the other gifts some persons may never receive it,

If you look at the groups that received tongues, it states "all" received (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 10:44; 19:2) with one exception - on the Day of Pentecost, not in the Upper Room, where there were mockers of tongues.

G_d gives good gifts (Matt 7:11).

I said not essential because even Paul is criticizing that gift. He puts restrictions and conditions to it. No other gifts in the Bible are taken in account like this way. For all the other gifts the Scriptures are saying ''it's cool'' but for this one there are warnings. And OK maybe they all received that gift on the Day of Pentecost but I think it was a miracle. Nowadays by forcing ''all'' to speak in tongues you are inevitably causing gibberish from some of them.

Upvote 0

Levi777

May 24, 2014
Washington State
✟15,165.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I said not essential because even Paul is criticizing that gift. He puts restrictions and conditions to it. No other gifts in the Bible are taken in account like this way. For all the other gifts the Scriptures are saying ''it's cool'' but for this one there are warnings. And OK maybe they all received that gift on the Day of Pentecost but I think it was a miracle. Nowadays by forcing ''all'' to speak in tongues you are inevitably causing gibberish from some of them.

I don't get that anyone is forcing the speaking of tongues, unless it's some form of disappointment if a person doesn't start speaking in tongues. For me, they laid hands on me, and prayed for me to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This was my future wife and her brother and me sitting in the grass in a field. I then went home and drew the shades, locked the door, turned off the lights, knelt down and buried my face in the sofa, sure the men in white coats were coming for me, and I began to pray in the Spirit. I was alone.

For my wife, she was driving to work singing to the Lord. She, a doubter, had been prayed for with hands laid on the day before. She was singing to the Lord when suddenly she realized she was singing in the Spirit. She was alone.

Often, many pastors and evangelists want the ones whom they lay their hands on and pray for to start speaking in tongues because they think it validates their ministry. Maybe somehow they feel that God doesn't hear them, and who knows; maybe they are correctly judging themselves, and they need to repent.

As for the coming of the gift of tongues, it is impossible to please God without faith. The gift of tongues is received by faith and exercised by faith. Any other way is false. Parroting others who speak out in tongues is the same as false prophesying, and disrespecting the gift of God. Those who unwisely and incorrectly pray out in tongues, may find that they hold up the gift of God to disrespect. Some things are too holy for any but God to hear.

Upvote 0

Levi777

May 24, 2014
Washington State
✟15,165.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and by the way, the Assemblies of God was formed out of the Azusa Street Revival, which was a tremendous, valid outpouring of the Holy Spirit in a horse stable.
The stated purpose for the Assemblies of God was the promotion of the ministry of the Holy Spirit. As such, it was a movement, and not a denomination. I think they've rather left their first calling and became something God didn't really desire. It is in His mercy that He moves at all, but then that's true of many churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DannLeavitt

In Christ Alone.
May 14, 2014
New Brunswick
✟8,368.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I agree, Daniel. We may not know if we are speaking a foreign language from this earth. I tried it once, and spoke tongues to a group of Russian sailors. They laughed, clapped me on the back and walked on ( I was a street missionary in Seattle ) I don't know if I spoke in Russian or not, but hey, without faith, nothing can happen, right?

Have you ever read the book "They Speak With Other Tongues"? by John and Elizabeth Sherrill? I would say it's a great defense against atheistic denouncement, and also discussions with people who think it's from the devil, but atheists typically reject any truth for their agenda..."There is no God, therefore..." I mean, "the fool has said in his heart' there is no God'" What can you say to a fool, but "excuse me...goodbye"?

Anyway, in that book, John Sherrill recounts how he was an unbeliever in tongues, and thought it was a wrong belief. So he set out to investigate, being a reporter and all for Guideposts Magazine. He recorded people speaking in tongues, speaking obscure, little know languages, and gibberish. Then he had a panel of 6 linguists listen to the tapes. They picked out the gibberish right away, and said it was gibberish. The obscure languages some of them knew, and so the cat was out of the bag. And with the Tongues, they all agreed they formed the pattern of speech, yet none of them knew the language. However they all agreed that it was indeed a spoken language.

I suppose that book and John Sherrill's research should be required reading for any who believe they speak in tongues, or are afeared of such speaking.

Hmm... I have never heard of that book before. I think I am going to have to run a search and get a copy! Thanks for the resource!

Upvote 0