California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I should qualify that a bit. I don't at all mean praying for a nice car, a big house, stylish clothes, or anything like that.

What I mean by "want," is the desire of your heart. For instance, if you feel that you should go for a particular job, or if you should quit your job to go college, or you have a special someone. I mean when you genuinely feel like it is God's will that you should go for something.

How should you pray for these things?

On the one hand, Jesus tells us to pray, first and foremost, for the kingdom. This is my primary prayer. I pray that God's will would be done. I shy away from asking for specific things that I know are completely contingent upon God's will (which is everything, really). I hestitate to ask God to give me a specific job, or a specific relationship because it seems inherently selfish to elevate my own desires in prayer.

On the other hand, David did this very often. David's prayers are full of him asking for specific things. A perfect example is the prayer he gave to God for his son with Bathsheba. He brokenly pleaded with God not to take the child, but when he found it was God's will to take the child, he submitted himself, and went and ate and rejoiced.

Essentially, I'm wondering what is the most prayerful form of prayer? If I feel very strongly about something in my heart, should I pray to God for it, or should I simply ignore it, and pray that God's will be done? This is something I've struggled with for a little while.