• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying for the Emperor: How Often Should We Pray for Our Leaders/President?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Gxg (G²), Jan 8, 2013.

1. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    Of course they aren't (though others having a patent on our genes and 'bodily fluids' etc. is an issue that is not yet adequately addressed) ...

otoh, Monsanto has bought up a huge portion of the seed industry in the US.

Patent on seed, and on amendments necessary to grow the seed, is constraining access to the stuff of life. Check PubMed for research on glyphosate (very little if any done state-side last time I checked). Check the promises vs. reality on GMO crop yield and affordability (related to the huge suicide rate among farmers in India). Check the effect of GMO amendments on soil microorganisms (necessary for proper nutriment uptake in plants, and nutrient availability to those who consume the plants). Check long-term effects studies. Check constraints on studies (by Monsanto).

I don't know what a "liberalist" is, but I do know that messing around with the food supply is an issue for anyone who eats.

2. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+1,041
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Praying right along with you on the matter.

I hope it's not bad, however, that I battle feeling cynical on the matter and wondering if it may not change and that perhaps I should just be praying for God's Mercy to work in spite of the situation.

3. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+1,041
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    I wonder how the president would be constrained on the gay marriage issue with the Laws - although I appreciate how you stated it since it seems so many have simply reacted (as you saw on FB) with the ideology that the man is just "pure evil!!" for some of the things he promotes..and yet not many consider how perhaps he may be feeling trapped as well.

As it concerns Monsanto, it does seem that the logic of seeing corporations as "people" does have a negative effect in the long run - and thus, it seems that perhaps the only way to really address the issue is to create counter-cooperations/organizations to promote what they wish and utilize all outlets for education...be it at the grassroots level (with the use of social media, via FB and Twitter/Blogs ) or on the institutional level with education.

4. Gxg (G²)

+1,041
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Good point as it concerns Nixon and the ways he was placed in check by people using the power of their voice to make the issue known for how others truly saw it.

I'm having to really remind myself that many times, (as Monastic Shane Claiborne notes best), "We are truly the answers to our prayers"..and that ""Prayer is not so much about convincing God to do what we want God to do as it is about convincing ourselves to do what God wants us to do,"....an example being something such as not just praying that a homeless family finds shelter but actually opening your home to them, becoming the answer to your prayer. God's answer to our prayers might be as close, or as far away, as our willingness to be available as part of the solution.

Very timely sentiments to remember today when it comes to not being so connected your hope becomes tied to what you're trying to change....
    Will have to check it out - but it does seem a lot of that has occurred in regards to things no longer being held back.

5. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    I do think this issue is settled as far as US secular law goes; I do think some of the underpinnings of the argument are sloppy, and alternately rest on incomplete findings, but I think per the "Law of the Land" it was inevitable.

For sure, grassroots (no pun intended). I also think supporting state labeling initiatives is valuable -- VT (iirc) backed down after threatened lawsuit. But this sort of singular risk threat would be less damaging were there a number of states involved.

6. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0

:thumbsup:

The world seems to get more disordered each day ...

7. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,554
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Thirty states will be voting in the near future for labeling, from what I read several months ago (after the November election). It is set to be on the 2013 ballot:

In Vermont, the VT Right to Know GMOs coalition has also started gathering signatures to present to elected officials about the need for GMO labeling on food products sold in retail stores. With this effort, Vermont joins the Coalition of States for Mandatory GMO Labeling comprising of the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington.

30 States Pick Up Reigns on GMO Labeling Initiative After Prop 37 Defeat | Alternative

8. Gxg (G²)

+1,041
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    In some places, it seems to get better as well :)

Saw this amazing video on the issue last year (in light of a ministry I came across sharing on the issue of how eschatology always seems negative in some circles rather than seeing the positive as well) and the video really seemed to encourage me and make me think when seeing how advancement has occurred:

Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes - The Joy of Stats - BBC Four

He basically told the story of the world in 200 countries over 200 years using 120,000 numbers - in just four minutes. And plotting life expectancy against income for every country since 1810, Hans showed how the world we live in is radically different from the world most of us imagine.