Praying for the Emperor: How Often Should We Pray for Our Leaders/President?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Was thinking recently on how many have been complaining often on the president - noting everything he may be doing wrong..and yet as I read the Word in Titus 3, it really weighed on my heart what the Apostle noted when saying the following:
Titus 3
Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

If Daniel could serve the King of Babylon as well as the Medes and Persians with excellence - and if Joseph could serve the King of Egypt with concern for all in the land - how much more could people do the same in the U.S when they're not slaves/captives in their land like those men were? As I processed the issue of what it means to serve where you are in governments of any type, I began to think on things the Desert Fathers and other monastics noted (in addition to many of the Church Fathers)- specifically on how they seperated themselves from corruption in the Empire...and yet they also prayed for those within it.

obama-halo-ap-new-550x362.jpg

church-fathers.jpg

In considering my own life, although others often talk about all the ways that bad things have been happening, I've found myself more prone to intercede for the good that has occurred - and rejoicing over that as well as noting to others where I think the leaders of my nation are doing a lot of things which require Divine revelation, encouragement, support and wisdom. And I've had some places I don't feel I can really be myself at now at this season of life because I don't take a stance of demonization on other leaders or choosing to slander rather than choosing to be peaceable toward all men. I by no means am a fan or supporter of all things done in leadership - but at the same token, I don't think it's right for believers to forget that people in leadership are just that....people. Men/women who have sons and daughters at home. People who have fears and struggles as do all men.

I thought about the president during a trip out the country - and thought "How often are the same people critiquing him praying for his children to have godly friends in school?" or "How often do he and his wife have time to just be the two of them/keep their marriage strong" - and my mother and I would pray on those everday things we'd like prayer on. The same thing goes for praying he'd be encouraged when it comes to good actions he has fought for and that others often seem to belittle.

I wonder how the Fathers would've handled things if they lived in the times we are in - and I'm aware of others such as Tertulian who has discussed Christian loyalty to the Emperor, whoever he may be.

For we offer prayer for the safety of our princes to the eternal, the true, the living God, whose favour, beyond all others, they must themselves desire. They know from whom they have obtained their power; they know, as they are men, from whom they have received life itself; they are convinced that He is God alone, on whose power alone they are entirely dependent, to whom they are second, after whom they occupy the highest places, before and above all the gods. Why not, since they are above all living men, and the living, as living, are superior to the dead? They reflect upon the extent of their power, and so they come to understand the highest; they acknowledge that they have all their might from Him against whom their might is nought. Let the emperor make war on heaven; let him lead heaven captive in his triumph; let him put guards on heaven; let him impose taxes on heaven! He cannot. Just because he is less than heaven, he is great. For he himself is His to whom heaven and every creature appertains. He gets his sceptre where he first got his humanity; his power where he got the breath of life. Thither we lift our eyes, with hands outstretched, because free from sin; with head uncovered, for we have nothing whereof to be ashamed; finally, without a monitor, because it is from the heart we supplicate. Without ceasing, for all our emperors we offer prayer. We pray for life prolonged; for security to the empire; for protection to the imperial house; for brave armies, a faithful senate, a virtuous people, the world at rest, whatever, as man or Cæsar, an emperor would wish. These things I cannot ask from any but the God from whom I know I shall obtain them, both because He alone bestows them and because I have claims upon Him for their gift, as being a servant of His, rendering homage to Him alone, persecuted for His doctrine, offering to Him, at His own requirement, that costly and noble sacrifice of prayer despatched from the chaste body, an unstained soul, a sanctified spirit, not the few grains of incense a farthing buys —tears of an Arabian tree,—not a few drops of wine,—not the blood of some worthless ox to which death is a relief, and, in addition to other offensive things, a polluted conscience, so that one wonders, when your victims are examined by these vile priests, why the examination is not rather of the sacrificers than the sacrifices. With our hands thus stretched out and up to God, rend us with your iron claws, hang us up on crosses, wrap us in flames, take our heads from us with the sword, let loose the wild beasts on us,—the very attitude of a Christian praying is one of preparation for all punishment. Let this, good rulers, be your work: wring from us the soul, beseeching God on the emperor’s behalf. Upon the truth of God, and devotion to His name, put the brand of crime.

XXXI. But we merely, you say, flatter the emperor, and feign these prayers of ours to escape persecution. Thank you for your mistake, for you give us the opportunity of proving our allegations. Do you, then, who think that we care nothing for the welfare of Cæsar, look into God’s revelations, examine our sacred books, which we do not keep in hiding, and which many accidents put into the hands of those who are not of us. Learn from them that a large benevolence is enjoined upon us, even so far as to supplicate God for our enemies, and to beseech blessings on our persecutors. Who, then, are greater enemies and persecutors of Christians, than the very parties with treason against whom we are charged? Nay, even in terms, and most clearly, the Scripture says, “Pray for kings, and rulers, and powers, that all may be peace with you.” For when there is disturbance in the empire, if the commotion is felt by its other members, surely we too, though we are not thought to be given to disorder, are to be found in some place or other which the calamity affects.
Justin Martyr (d. 165)

First Apology

And everywhere we, more readily than all men, endeavor to pay to those appointed by you the taxes both ordinary and extraordinary, as we have been taught by Him; for at that time some came to Him and asked Him, if one ought to pay tribute to Caesar; and He answered, “Tell Me, whose image does the coin bear?” And they said, “Caesar’s.” And again He answered them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” Whence to God alone we render worship, but in other things we gladly serve you, acknowledging you as kings and rulers of men, and praying that with your kingly power you be found to possess also sound judgment. But if you pay no regard to our prayers and frank explanations, we shall suffer no loss, since we believe (or rather, indeed, are persuaded) that every man will suffer punishment in eternal fire according to the merit of his deed, and will render account according to the power he has received from God, as Christ intimated when He said, “To whom God has given more, of him shall more be required.”

From what I understand, concerning relationship to Caesar and the Roman Empire, the church rejected the empire’s idolatry and many of its cultural values and it suffered greatly at the hands of the empire’s leaders, but in priniciple it respected the God-given place of the empire and its emperor. The idolatrous Roman empire martyred the saints – including some of the men who wrote the words above - but the church generally believed that the empire could be redeemed as its citizens came to know Christ.

That said - perhaps it's just me ....but from the election till now with the Fiscal CLiff and many other decisions made in government, I can't really see the Fathers waging a war against the President. But perhaps I'm wrong. Would they have been involved in campaigns against the president? Or would they have been simply intercedding for him and noting to others to do the same? Would they have been expressing anger continually toward leadership? Or would they look to see how the Lord could be glorified in it. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear sometime :)

Last edited:

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"
Priest:Furthermore we pray for this country, its ruler, (title and name of the ruler), its people, civil authorities and armed forces.
People:Lord, have mercy. (three times)
Priest:Furthermore we pray for our Most Reverend Bishop (name of the diocesan bishop, or, if he be an archbishop or metropolitan, mention his rank and name), and for all the Orthodox bishops.
People:Lord, have mercy. (three times)Priest:Furthermore we pray for our brethren: priests, deacons, monks and all other clergy, and for all our brethren in Christ.
People:Lord, have mercy. (three times)"

Although we only do one Lord, have mercy, for each reply. This is in every Divine liturgy

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"
Priest:Furthermore we pray for this country, its ruler, (title and name of the ruler), its people, civil authorities and armed forces.
Priest:Furthermore we pray for our Most Reverend Bishop (name of the diocesan bishop, or, if he be an archbishop or metropolitan, mention his rank and name), and for all the Orthodox bishops.
People:Lord, have mercy. (three times)Priest:Furthermore we pray for our brethren: priests, deacons, monks and all other clergy, and for all our brethren in Christ.

Although we only do one Lord, have mercy, for each reply. This is in every Divine liturgy
I understand the aspect of doing it as it concerns Divine Liturgy - but I was more so thinking outside of that...as in one's personal life and how much time is spent individually intercedding for the individual. Many times, even in praying the liturgy, it can be the case that one is not truly sincere doing so - or, to use a better phrase, simply going through the motions (for some) rather than going home and seriously pondering how they can pray for their leaders throughout the week.

Upvote 0
K

Kyprian

I always get confused by Christians who start spouting off against the President/Congress etc, especially when I hear how "they" will destroy America, etc etc. It always makes me think that they don't really believe in the concept of a truly sovereign Lord who is in control. Doesn't Scripture tell us that leaders and rulers are appointed by God? Besides, as other have stated, we are commanded to pray for those in authority over us - regardless of if we like them or not.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, I don't like the doom and gloom stuff that so many folks spout. America will not end just because Obama was reelected, any more than if Romney was elected. we pray for them and should constantly, however, we also should voice our faith when leaders start doing wicked, like how when Communism took the Soviets, many clergy and laymen became vocal. but I think we gotta realize that it's the sin that we call out, not the sinner.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I refuse to pray for this guy! Don't know 'bout the rest of y'all!

emperor.jpg

But in all seriousness, I really don't pray much for the president. I probably should do so more. I think my cynicism with politics and the idea that these guys (dem or GOP) are so locked into ideaologies in the respective corners that they refuse to see Truth with a capital T. When's the last time we heard a Democrat convert to pro-life and oppose gay marriage and when's the last time we heard super conservative Republicans start caring more about unions and the environment? But I should be more positive and hope God can change these folks. Good point.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't like the doom and gloom stuff that so many folks spout. America will not end just because Obama was reelected, any more than if Romney was elected. we pray for them and should constantly, however, we also should voice our faith when leaders start doing wicked, like how when Communism took the Soviets, many clergy and laymen became vocal. but I think we gotta realize that it's the sin that we call out, not the sinner.
For real..

I've never been for the mindset that Obama will "doom" the nation and I think so much of it - even as I sharply disagree/have voiced some of my disapproval - is actually notwhere near the negative levels that others place it ...and much of it beneficial (more shared in #1#21, #166 and #218 ). It just seems to grieve me a lot lately when hearing on so many thinking God is pleased with denouncing the president on any and all things - and then being blantantly silent on where the people whom they favor/want to lead either did the same or have currently done so.

I wonder if there needs to be more guidance on knowing how to voice our faiths...as opposing to just lifting voices. For if you cannot grieve for the man you're being vocal on, what right do you have to critique or complain on him? And if you cannot pray as much as you raise complaint, something's off. What happened when Communism began to rise is interesting - seeing that many within the Church (as far as I can tell) did vocal opposition by their lifestyle and the way they lived....and while others voiced their views, they didn't seem to have a mindset that the Church was to not work with the State at all levels. Some took things down to a more covert level of resistance - more shared, if you recall, in the thread entitled Is "Hidden & Triumphant: The Underground Struggle to Save Russian Iconography" good? on the book I was reading that discussed the battles over art and how the Church responded to it. It is interesting seeing how many working with the State were deemed "traitors" - whereas others who resisted were deemed to be "extreme/dangerous" ...and others who were both vocal in resisting error and yet supportative in affirming good were seen as "not decisive enough". It was a truly multi-layered field and world....and in hindsight, it's easier to place the categories of who was "good" or "bad" even though it may've been difficult during the time.

Reading through Daniel 5, when he went to the Lion's den, I'm amazed that his actions were consistent both with honoring God and the STATE. He had great character and was a man of righteousness - in whom nothing wrong was found. When they made a law against his beliefs saying prayers had to go to the king only, he didn't wage a campaign against the kind...nor did he start fighting against the others who set things up like they did. Instead, he went back and kept praying - honoring what the Lord commanded....AND honoring what the Law of the Land commanded when saying that death was the penalty for disobeying (as he accepted the consequences). The fact that the King was grieved at what happened and how he could not save Daniel stands out heavily to me when I think on it - for it shows some level of good relationship.....enough to where Daniel would've been missed by his loss. And I wonder how many of the people complaining have that type of relationship with their communities. A practical example would be abortion - as so many complain on it and are vocal on it being illegal - and yet not one of their neighbors knows who they are, nor do they know the struggles of their neighbors or local community. And they don't take care of widows/orphans to the point where it feels like a severe gap when they're gone.

Daniel, from what I can see, seemed to do what the Fathers taught when it came to honoring the Emperor even as he was persectued - and still praying. And the fact that he even blessed the King when he got out of the Lion's den is striking, IMHO. He actually loved the people who made bad decisions - and I'm praying to grow in that this year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I always get confused by Christians who start spouting off against the President/Congress etc, especially when I hear how "they" will destroy America, etc etc. It always makes me think that they don't really believe in the concept of a truly sovereign Lord who is in control. Doesn't Scripture tell us that leaders and rulers are appointed by God? Besides, as other have stated, we are commanded to pray for those in authority over us - regardless of if we like them or not.

Just my two cents.
Feelin'n that.

I have ben processing on the issue of how many people talk on praying for our leaders - but the prayers are based more so on getting the leader to do as they wish - and yet the Lord never said that when it came to prayer. It's true prayer for their spirits - and regardless of their actions, prayer for them. FOr they need it at all times. The amount of times I have heard others excited to pray for a president if they love all of his stances amazes me....and it is also amazing when they choose NOT to pray for someone if they have stances they hate - or pray half-heartedly like saying all the time "Lord, please help the president...he's not doing a real good job..but I just pray you'd spare him and us"

Or the prayer I heard a lot of people claiming as "Biblical" when saying "May his days be few.." - many of them shocked to see God DIDN'T honor that prayer at all.

It does seem God is soverieign over all the nations - and counter to popular opinion, Sovereign over the nations like Cuba or Russia just as he is Sovereign over the U.S (as goes the claim of saying "In God we Trust" on our currency means that God rules our land only - the "Christian Nation" ideology).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

emperor.jpg

Ugggh!!! Should've taken him out by force back when the Republic was around and the False Flag known as "The CLone Wars" was going on ...although the Jedi didn't realize till too late that war/conflict and expanding it through battles was the perfect way to lead to others not seeing who the Emperor was - and realizing they were actually as much apart of the problem as the enemy.
But in all seriousness, I really don't pray much for the president. I probably should do so more. I think my cynicism with politics and the idea that these guys (dem or GOP) are so locked into ideaologies in the respective corners that they refuse to see Truth with a capital T. When's the last time we heard a Democrat convert to pro-life and oppose gay marriage and when's the last time we heard super conservative Republicans start caring more about unions and the environment? But I should be more positive and hope God can change these folks. Good point
Having to do a lot of battles with cynicism as well - and not falling into the mindset that good/true change can come when others are active. One of my friends who is an Eastern Monastic often says "All politicians are crooks - and you have to compromise/become one to do anything in politics" ....and his stance is to not be involved at all for the most part, as well as thinking ALL who are in political positions lie. I simply cannot believe that based on what I've seen at this point in life - and for others who feel they can make a difference as well as pray, I do wonder.

I don't see anywhere in scripture where believers weren't involved in everyday life even when it was difficult - as even Obadiah ( palace administrator of the corrupt King Ahab in 1 Kings 18:3-5 / 1 Kings 18 ) was hiding the Lord's prophets in caves. Joseph worked in Egypt as an administrator and Daniel as a govenor/administrator over 3 differing Empires - Babylon, the Medes and Persians. Nehemiah worked as a cup-bearer to the King while getting later support for the Walls - and Esther was Queen over Babylon. And Paul had an associate known as Erastus, who was the city’s director of public works according to Romans 16:22-24 and a good friend of his according to Acts 19:21-23 /2 Timothy 4:19-21 - a man who worked in the government/paved the way for other believers to do as they did - more shared in Partnership with Unbelievers - Theology of Work Sermons

The Old Testament examples of people other than the rulers of the nation of Israel serving in government are accounts of God calling people who were not seeking office to serve in times of unusual circumstances. Two were specifically used to save God's Old Covenant people (Joseph and Esther). The others—Daniel and Daniel's friends—were used to witness God's power to Gentile rulers (of course, Joseph and Esther also did this). There are three examples only of people who were employed by the government at the time they became Christians. They were Cornelius (Acts 10-11), Erastus, and the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8). Cornelius was a centurion (a military captain over 100 men), but we do not know exactly what he did or whether he stayed in the military after becoming a Christian. His unit was part of the Italian Regiment (the Cohores II Miliaria Italica Civium Romanorum). A cohort had ten centuries and was the equivalent of a modern military battalion. This battalion was an auxiliary unit, not part of a regular Roman legion. Such a battalion of archers was first made up of Roman soldiers and then filled out in the provinces.

Certainly, he might have faced some tough choices between serving God and serving the Roman rulers: would he have followed orders to arrest Christians? Would he have participated in the sacking of Jerusalem? It seems likely that remaining a centurion would eventually have put him at odds with his Christians beliefs. Tradition (of course, not necessarily reliable) says that he became a bishop in either Caesarea or Scepsis in Mysia. But what we know for certain was that he was deemed by the Lord as a God-Fearing man who gave gifts to the poor and touched the Lord.

With Erastus, the King James Version calls Erastus "the chamberlain of the city." The Greek word translated "chamberlain" is oikonomos, the word from which we get the English word economist. This means Erastus was a city manager or treasurer (it is not clear exactly what his job entailed) before he became a Christian. 1 Corinthians 7:20-21 indicates a person should remain in the calling wherein he was called, whether free or slave or whatever. The principle can apply to occupations. God called Erastus while he was the city manager/treasurer. The principle is that he should stay in that occupation unless there arose a conflict of interest. Apparently, no conflict had arisen in Erastus's case, at least up until the time Paul wrote. We do not know whether Erastus's duties included making official decisions, but history may answer what happened to him as it says he was killed shortly after Paul (Ada R. Habershon, The Bible and the British Museum, p. 4).

As far as the Ethiopian eunuch is concerned, he also was already serving his queen before he became a Christian. We do not know what happened to him after he was baptized in Acts 8 and returned to Ethiopia. And who knows what he may've had to deal with....

All of these people in positions like many today - and surely they must've prayed for their leaders as we're called to today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

emperor.jpg

In that universe, God doesn't exist (as the Force is what determines things ) - so I don't know how far prayer would've gone anyhow :p But there are people today who do come close - and I am bound to pray for them even though I'd want to face them like Skywalker.

When's the last time we heard a Democrat convert to pro-life and oppose gay marriage and when's the last time we heard super conservative Republicans start caring more about unions and the environment?
As it concerns the comment of Democrats, the group "Democrats For Life of America has always been steadfast - and I'm actually glad that they got WAY more prominence during the last election due to having more of their officials elected into key places. And with Republcicans, I believe there've also been a couple who fit the description you noted. Would have to go back/look it up again for the reference - but I was highly impressed :)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, yes, the Blue Dog Democrats and "Log Cabin" (pro gay) Republicans are a few examples, but overall most politicians in power rarely change their minds unless their hand is forced. I noted it's not absolute, but more the rule than the exception.

Easy G (G²);62146614 said:
In that universe, God doesn't exist (as the Force is what determines things ) - so I don't know how far prayer would've gone anyhow :p But there are people today who do come close - and I am bound to pray for them even though I'd want to face them like Skywalker.

As it concerns the comment of Democrats, the group "Democrats For Life of America has always been steadfast - and I'm actually glad that they got WAY more prominence during the last election due to having more of their officials elected into key places. And with Republcicans, I believe there've also been a couple who fit the description you noted. Would have to go back/look it up again for the reference - but I was highly impressed :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"

Yep. Our priest says, "For the president of the country, civil authorities, (something else, I think), and the armed forces on land, on the sea and in the air.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Just my two cents.
I'm sure you're right, but I guess I've never thought that leaders were or are appointed by God. I figured it's the free will of man on who runs and those who vote the person in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure you're right, but I guess I've never thought that leaders were or are appointed by God. I figured it's the free will of man on who runs and those who vote the person in.

I think that now that we have democracies, it's prolly a bit of both. in the OT, when people's free will had nothing to do with who was king, God called Nebuchadnezzar, the wickedest king ever, His Christ and His servant.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think I agree with your sentiments in the OP, Easy. One thing that strikes me is that in a democracy or representative government, even while we should be obeying lawful authority and praying for the government and its members, we are also required to activly participate in governance.

And that can mean opposing policies, supporting opposition parties, and that sort of thing.

I suspect people find it difficult at times to hold these two things together.

Part of the problem now though is that partisan forces spend a lot of time and money trying to convince people that those parts of the political process they are not in agreement with are in fact evil. So you have people saying things like so and so wants to destroy our country.

I think that is a relatively new thing - it used to be understood that even those you disagreed with politically generally were trying to do what was good. It makes it much easier to well wish people under those conditions.

Upvote 0