Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, I've been wondering, from a protestant standpoint it is often seen as a sin and useless to pray for someone after they are dead, as their eternal fate cannot be changed. However, when I hear of people dying I often pray something like 'Lord, if it is your will, let them have come to Christ before their death.' Would you guys say this it the same thing? I realise things can't change after death, but is it wrong to pray things changed beforehand?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all, I've been wondering, from a protestant standpoint it is often seen as a sin and useless to pray for someone after they are dead, as their eternal fate cannot be changed. However, when I hear of people dying I often pray something like 'Lord, if it is your will, let them have come to Christ before their death.' Would you guys say this it the same thing? I realise things can't change after death, but is it wrong to pray things changed beforehand?
Since God does not operate in time as we do, He knows your prayer and has given it consideration, I think it is very kind of you to pray for people in that way.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To pray "If it is your will" is to pray amiss.... For we do not have to ask God to do His will. If we are not praying, knowing that we will receive exactly what we asked for....there is no reason to pray at all.

That being say....It is not a sin to talk to God and ask him for anything....no matter it what it is......be it 1 billion dollars, or the well being of one who has been removed from their clothing of flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To pray "If it is you will" is to pray amiss.... For we do not have to ask God to do His will. If we are not praying, knowing that we will receive exactly what we asked for....there is no reason to pray at all.

That being say....It is not a sin to talk to God and ask him for anything....no matter it what it is......be it 1 billion dollars, or the well being of one who has been removed from their clothing of flesh.
AS long as we understand that He will only answer prayer according to His will and we will not know what His will is because we cannot understand the mind of God.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AS long as we understand that He will only answer prayer according to His will and we will not know what His will is because we cannot understand the mind of God.
If, pray believing that He may not answer, for any reason....you pray amiss.

"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

This is the will of God....to give us what we ask for......any doubt or clauses added to this scripture is put there by man.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not the same thing if you are praying for God to act before the person who is in mind has died, there is no issue whatsoever. Praying for individuals and asking for God to do something or other for them after their deaths would be something else. Rather than speak of that as if it were a great moral wrong, let's just say that it would be useless.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟145,346.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, I've been wondering, from a protestant standpoint it is often seen as a sin and useless to pray for someone after they are dead
I have been in various protestant circles since my childhood and never heard that praying for somebody who died is a sin.

Praying to dead ones is seen as a sin or idolatry.

God is outside of our timeline and heard our prayers we pray today billions of years ago, when He ordered the cosmos and all its details. He took everything into consideration, even our future prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, I've been wondering, from a protestant standpoint it is often seen as a sin and useless to pray for someone after they are dead, as their eternal fate cannot be changed.
That would be an argument against ever praying for anyone at all. Personally I see nothing wromngh with praying for the dead, since God, being equally in all times and places, can as easily answer a prayer before it is made as after. Tryiung to bind God in time as we are is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Supporter
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nobody knows the state of a person's souls when we die except for God. In our faith, we will be purified before entering Heaven. Pray that the purification process for an individual is short and sweet. And always pray for those you love before they die because like many have said here God hears those prayers from our past, present and future which would help a dying individual be in a state of grace when they die possibly.

Upvote 0