Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can you specifically point out exactly where he is lying please.
I'll give one example.
Under the heading:
"The Orthodox Catholic Churches" the author places in bold text the following sentence;
"The essential doctrine of being saved by faith is not taught."
This would be a lie.
The challenge would be; does the author understand the Orthodox teaching on salvation? Based on the article I would conclude; no, he does not.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'll give one example.
Under the heading:
"The Orthodox Catholic Churches" the author places in bold text the following sentence;
"The essential doctrine of being saved by faith is not taught."
This would be a lie.
The challenge would be; does the author understand the Orthodox teaching on salvation? Based on the article I would conclude; no, he does not.

Well, I assumed that he knew what he was talking about. My apologies if he didn't.

BTW
That sounds familiar since such types of inaccurate claims based on ignorance of what is really being taught are constantly made against Jehovah's Witnesses.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I assumed that he knew what he was talking about.

that's why history and actual facts concerning this stuff are important.

That sounds familiar since such types of inaccurate claims based on ignorance of what is really being taught are constantly made against Jehovah's Witnesses.

indeed, I kept inviting them for tea when they came to my door two summers ago.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Radrook ... unfortunately it is a huge task of understanding, and I do consider many Catholics (pretty much all the ones I know) to be my brothers and sisters in Christ (just as I consider Protestants I know to be so).

But ...

An understanding of what the CHURCH has done, how the Catholic Church behaved, believed, and changed in history, and what really happened, would answer many of your questions.

But it is very important to understand that we are not them. They were once part of us, but they separated themselves long, long ago and went their own way (after several centuries of already tending to their own way).

Very often I see confusion, based on assuming that only Catholics and Protestants compose Church history.

The Church did not change so much. It came from Judaism, and certain changes of course happened right away to make them Christian as opposed to Jewish. But because of persecution, for centuries the Church operated in secret. When official persecution ended, the Church operated more openly, but not so differently. Liturgy, for example, originated in Judaism, not with the later development of Catholicism.

Your answers are in these things. I think I understand your questions. I was taught the same things you cite, and believed them for many years. But they come from (1) being unaware of Orthodoxy, and (2) confusing Catholicism and Orthodoxy, for the most part. But it does take a lot of time and study to sort it all out.

I'm not looking to convince you of anything, but to answer your questions. Any real convincing has to come from the Holy Spirit and one's own understanding. So I never want to argue, but anytime I can answer questions, at least as far as what I've learned myself, I'm always happy to try. But what one does with the answers is always between them and God.

God be with you, my brother. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I assumed that he knew what he was talking about. My apologies if he didn't.

BTW
This is why I consider it to be critical to use primary sources. If I am speaking to Jehovah Witnesses, and they say I misunderstand their beliefs, I can't back up my claim if I haven't read primary sources.

Similarly, if we read something written about a church - without any primary sources, then we cannot claim with 100% certainty that we really know what that church believes.

Typically, those who are actually a part of the church understand the beliefs better than those who are not a part of the church. To authoritatively state that someone's church teaches differently than he / she believes the church teaches requires some form of primary source.

ETA: Another difficulty occurs when we have similar terminology, but mean something different than what the other person means when using the same term.

Upvote 0