✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello all.

Normally I would not dream of starting a thread in a confessional forum other than my own, but as this one is more active and I tend to post here regularly, can I ask for your prayers for the victims of the current fires raging in Lake and Napa counties of northern California? I happen to live in the county directly to the southwest of Lake county (Sonoma), and we've just gotten word that the fire has crossed over into our county and is only a few miles away (less than 10). It's 0% contained right now, and you can see it just over a nearby hill without having to drive more than a mile away from my home, and without using binoculars. It's just kind of...looming there. Very scary. Something on the order of 20,000 people have been evacuated so far, the towns of Middletown and Cobbs are both basically completely gone (schools, churches, homes and business are all destroyed), and many are homeless and afraid. So far only one death has been reported, but it's raging so fiercely and growing so quickly (it just started yesterday and has already traveled 78 miles or so) that accurate numbers for all of these things are hard to come by. At this rate, we could be facing evacuation at any time now.

Please pray for the fire victims of Lake County, Napa County, and the people threatened by the fire here in Sonoma County. Thank you.

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will certainly pray.

I had a very dear friend out that way that I lost touch with several years ago. I think of him from time to time and wonder how he's doing, and whether he still lives around there. We visited several places in Napa county together. But yes, I will add my prayers. Lord have mercy ...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayin' with ya already, brother Jeremy! I live in Central CA, and we're breathing this filth and MISERABLE with ya! Ugh. Sucks. Our air quality is at danger levels. Kids aren't even going out on the playground. And we live about 5.5 to 6 hours from Sacramento fires! Between the drought and this junk, CA is a mess. I mentioned this in another thread tonight, so good timing! And you have EVERY right to start a thread in TAW btw! Thank you!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you everyone! It actually rained last night (!), which helped keep the fire on the hill throughout the night and into today, though there were a few cautionary evacuations (not mandatory, but suggested) given for people on particular blocks of roads leading out of the town I'm in and in nearby towns, and certain roads are still completely shut down in order to aid the inflow/outflow of people, fire crews, and equipment. The fire is about 5% contained as of 8 am this morning, though overnight it still managed to spread from 50,000 to 61,000 acres, so we're certainly not breathing easy yet. The good news is that the cold temperature and drizzle that moved in last night is supposed to result in a quarter of an inch of rain on Wednesday before temperatures begin climbing back up into the 80s on Thursday, so hopefully this little cold front and sprinkling will last from now until then and increase in severity before it goes away entirely (we're back to 90s+ this weekend). Boy...you never really realize how much rain a quarter of an inch can be until you haven't seen any in years and are fighting a giant, hellish firestorm that is obliterating everything in sight.

But for now we are okay in most of Sonoma county, as most of our population doesn't live near the geysers, the frontline of where the fire is currently being fought in this area. I wish the same could be said of the poor people of Cobb, Middletown, and surrounding areas that have been hit hardest by this in nearby Lake county (and other places like Calaveras county, dealing with the Butte fire). It's pretty incredible. It's almost like this entire half of the state is on fire all at once. Please continue to pray. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it rained last night, is overcast today, but no more rain for a while. The El Nino super storm this winter has the potential to really blow a hole in this drought and start 'some' recovery. Pray for an El Nino of epic proportions!

Upvote 0