• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Prayers having to be PERFECT

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A common theme with OCD is prayers needing to be said perfectly, or close to it. And I definitely have this issue. For some reason I feel like I can't "say" my prayers correctly (even though I'm praying in my head) and I repeat portions until I get it right. Classic OCD, eh? Has anyone struggled with this? Any advice?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A common theme with OCD is prayers needing to be said perfectly, or close to it. And I definitely have this issue. For some reason I feel like I can't "say" my prayers correctly (even though I'm praying in my head) and I repeat portions until I get it right. Classic OCD, eh? Has anyone struggled with this? Any advice?

I type phrases twice sometimes and don't see my mistake until the next day. Then I edit them. I'm now aware that very intelligent and educated people also make mistakes. One such person wrote "Whose in charge here?" It should have been, "Who's (Who is )in charge here." No one is perfect!

When I was younger, a lot of people told me that I had gorgeous handwriting. I wrote a lot of correspondence with ink. When I made a mistake, I threw the page in the trash and took a new
blank piece of paper to do it over.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,050.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He knows what we need even before we ask because He sees into the heart.

So if we mess-up He knows what we meant to say and therefore it doesn't matter.

We are praying to a loving God who understands our weaknesses.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
common theme with OCD is prayers needing to be said perfectly, or close to it.

Can you point to a verse that tells all Christians that this applies?

Romans 8:26-27niv.
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Note the spirit takes what we cannot say and passes it to God, it follows that misspronounced words, badly said prayers etc will also be accepted by God.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before in my life i didn't pray enough because i thought i needed to express myself in some kind of way, but God hears your prayers whatever they may be, so if you just say 'God help me' over and over that is enough for him to hear your 'humble' prayer.

When people want something from other people they can insist a lot until they get what they want, prayer can be similar to that and we need to insist with it, even if its asking the same simple thing over and over. I say God sees your intention and heart etc, and you don't need any special wording or some complicated sentence at all.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have had this! Repetition of prayers is a common compulsion. So, knowing this is a compulsion, how would you work on limiting or reducing it?

Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have had this! Repetition of prayers is a common compulsion. So, knowing this is a compulsion, how would you work on limiting or reducing it?

Basically, I try to tell myself that God knows what I'm trying to say, and that the more I try and repeat it to make it "perfect," the more stuck I'm going to get. Easier said than done sometimes though haha.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basically, I try to tell myself that God knows what I'm trying to say, and that the more I try and repeat it to make it "perfect," the more stuck I'm going to get. Easier said than done sometimes though haha.
I know, right? LOL. The more I learn to trust God (and not expect myself to be perfect), the easier it gets...I'm a work in progress, though! :)

Upvote 0