Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is it fitting and appropriate for laity to privately say the prayers for the dead for a bishop who has reposed?
We are to pray for everyone, so I would think it is fine. The back of one of my Psalters has a readers version of it.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is it fitting and appropriate for laity to privately say the prayers for the dead for a bishop who has reposed?
The most important spiritual work of mercy is to pray for the living and the dead.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The most important spiritual work of mercy is to pray for the living and the dead.

yes, as I was told by an abbot, if you remember the departed, they will remember you.
Thank you for the replies.

My question involved specifically the appropriateness of the laity praying for a reposed member of the clergy (specifically a bishop), not the dead in general. But it seems this would be considered fitting and not presumptuous?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My question involved specifically the appropriateness of the laity praying for a reposed member of the clergy (specifically a bishop), not the dead in general. But it seems this would be considered fitting and not presumptuous?
I don’t think it changes due to the level of ordination.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I know many times if I think to pray for a priest, or a monk, or an abbess, or even a pious layperson who has reposed - it feels rather presumptuous (if that's a good word?) in that what are my prayers for them? I think rather I should be asking them to pray for me? But it is what we do - we pray for everyone. So for that reason I do. But it still feels like it should be the other way around. If that makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know many times if I think to pray for a priest, or a monk, or an abbess, or even a pious layperson who has reposed - it feels rather presumptuous (if that's a good word?) in that what are my prayers for them? I think rather I should be asking them to pray for me? But it is what we do - we pray for everyone. So for that reason I do. But it still feels like it should be the other way around. If that makes sense.
I can see what you mean. At the same time though, if no one prays for them because they are clergy or monastics, then it is a detriment to them imho. Someone hasn’t necessarily achieved theosis already just because they are monastics or clergy. Even if they have, which we as humans don’t know, we pray out of love.

(I’m not saying you believe they already achieved theosis just because of their position - I’m just reflecting on some thoughts regarding it).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it is absolutely appropriate for the laity to pray for a departed bishop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is exactly how I feel and the reason for the question. Thank you.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think it changes due to the level of ordination.

I can see what you mean. At the same time though, if no one prays for them because they are clergy or monastics, then it is a detriment to them imho. Someone hasn’t necessarily achieved theosis already just because they are monastics or clergy. Even if they have, which we as humans don’t know, we pray out of love.

(I’m not saying you believe they already achieved theosis just because of their position - I’m just reflecting on some thoughts regarding it).

it is absolutely appropriate for the laity to pray for a departed bishop.
Thank you all for the helpful replies. As usual, I appreciate it.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Also, who knows, God might reply / have replied to our prayers for that person before they achieved theosis, or when they were particularly tempted or suffering.

Upvote 0