Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The council of Bishops in my diocese have raised their approval for me to submit an application for ordination, which is very humbling but a great joy!

If it's not too much trouble, I would very much appreciate your prayers, that the process may go smoothly and that I may be received. And that, above all, I may teach and preach faithfully in accordance with God's Word.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well done and may His doors open wide for you.

I am intrigued that you are in Japan.

I have heard it said the two of the hardest countries to evangelise are Japan and France.

I studied Shinto in my final year at Uni.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well done and may His doors open wide for you.

I am intrigued that you are in Japan.

I have heard it said the two of the hardest countries to evangelise are Japan and France.

I studied Shinto in my final year at Uni.

Thank you very much!

Very interesting to hear about your studies in Shintoism. It would be great to hear your perspective on it sometime. And you're quite right - Japan is regrettably very secular, but with deep and confused Shinto and Buddhist roots. It's very common to mix both religions, without believing in either.

We'll all do well to pray for the Church in Japan, that the Gospel may be proclaimed and received.

• Prayers
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much!

Very interesting to hear about your studies in Shintoism. It would be great to hear your perspective on it sometime. And you're quite right - Japan is regrettably very secular, but with deep and confused Shinto and Buddhist roots. It's very common to mix both religions, without believing in either.

We'll all do well to pray for the Church in Japan, that the Gospel may be proclaimed and received.

Kosuke Koyama - Wikipedia

This was my tutor...

His work is well worth reading.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The council of Bishops in my diocese have raised their approval for me to submit an application for ordination, which is very humbling but a great joy!

If it's not too much trouble, I would very much appreciate your prayers, that the process may go smoothly and that I may be received. And that, above all, I may teach and preach faithfully in accordance with God's Word.
Congrats!!!!! I will pray for you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much!

Are you Japanese or an American living in Japan? If the latter, how did you come to be living in Japan?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Congrats!!!!! I will pray for you.

Thank you very much! It's really appreciated!

Are you Japanese or an American living in Japan? If the latter, how did you come to be living in Japan?

Oh, it's more complicated than that! :)

I was born and raised in Norway, but I spent my adult life living in the UK. I relocated to Japan 6 years ago, for family and work reasons. My wife is Japanese, we have a daughter here and we wanted to be close to her family.

I'm working as an Art Director in the video games industry, though for the last 6 years, I've been studying with the Church and transitioning into the ministry. The Synod of the Church I belong to is based in America, and my theological education is through their seminary. So this is part of the reason why I'm reasonably informed about the Christian landscape in America. A lot of the materials I study are LCMS produced. (But also older Lutheran synodical works, WELS, old ELCA, Church of Norway, Reformation and Early Church works etc.)

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know he’s not Lutheran but are you familiar with st Nicholas of Japan? He was an orthodox bishop of 100ish years ago (I think). I don’t know much about him but if he has any writings I’m sure they’d be enlightening on the culture of japan and the context he dealt with

Lord have mercy on you! May he bless you to serve him faithfully

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know he’s not Lutheran but are you familiar with st Nicholas of Japan? He was an orthodox bishop of 100ish years ago (I think). I don’t know much about him but if he has any writings I’m sure they’d be enlightening on the culture of japan and the context he dealt with

Lord have mercy on you! May he bless you to serve him faithfully

Thank you very much!

I regret to say I have not heard of St Nicholas of Japan, though I looked up his history and it's very interesting! Thank you for the reference.

Upvote 0