Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It seems like for years I’ve been praying for the same thing, over and over. It’s the same prayer request I make every day, asking God for only one simple thing that wouldn’t require much, if any, effort on his part. I don’t ask God for a million dollars, or a Lamborghini, or a mansion; what I ask is basic and humane. But day after day God continually rejects my prayer request, and I don’t even know why.

I haven’t prayed in the last two days, and I don’t think I’m going to be talking to God anymore, at least until he finally decides to answer me instead of ignore me. Here is what I want to know: Why won’t God grant my simple, humane prayer request? As I said, it’s not like I’m asking for material things.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems like for years I’ve been praying for the same thing, over and over. It’s the same prayer request I make every day, asking God for only one simple thing that wouldn’t require much, if any, effort on his part. I don’t ask God for a million dollars, or a Lamborghini, or a mansion; what I ask is basic and humane. But day after day God continually rejects my prayer request, and I don’t even know why.

I haven’t prayed in the last two days, and I don’t think I’m going to be talking to God anymore, at least until he finally decides to answer me instead of ignore me. Here is what I want to know: Why won’t God grant my simple, humane prayer request? As I said, it’s not like I’m asking for material things.

Hi Nine of Spades,

I know it's hard to have patience and live each day when you feel you have a need to be met, but what is it that you're asking for exactly?

Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Nine of Spades,

I know it's hard to have patience and live each day when you feel you have a need to be met, but what is it that you're asking for exactly?

All I want is for God to get rid of something that is not within my ability to get rid of, but he has the ability to get rid of it. I want to have my life, my humanity, and my peace of mind back—but God always refuses to remove this horrible curse on my life. He always makes these false promises that he’ll grant my prayer request once certain requirements are met on my part, but each and every time that has happened he either finds something else wrong with me or unfairly moves the goalposts.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you're thinking, but that is not how we relate to God.

We ask, he invited it, he hears it. What he does about it, however, is not necessarily what we hoped for. It might be something he will grant but at a later time in your life, or it might not be in your best interests.

The biggest mistake people make about prayer may be to think of our prayers as some sort of negotiating or bargaining with the Almighty. To do that upends the whole idea of us trusting the Lord, acknowledging his Fatherhood, and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand what you're thinking, but that is not how we relate to God. We ask, he hears it. What he does about it, however, is not necessarily what we hoped for, but it might be granted but at some other time in your life, or it might be thought by Him not to be in our best interests, etc. The biggest mistake people make about prayer may be to think of our prayers as some sort of negotiating or bargaining with the Almighty.

But it’s been years and years since I’ve been cursed with this problem. A year ago I asked God when he would finally remove the curse, and he said sometime in November. But last November happened months ago, and I still suffer. About two months ago the Holy Spirit said it would be gone by late May, but I’m not so sure. I want it resolved now.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I want is for God to get rid of something that is not within my ability to get rid of, but he has the ability to get rid of it. I want to have my life, my humanity, and my peace of mind back—but God always refuses to remove this horrible curse on my life. He always makes these false promises that he’ll grant my prayer request once certain requirements are met on my part, but each and every time that has happened he either finds something else wrong with me or unfairly moves the goalposts.

Ok. I get it. I've had times in my life when I've asked God for something important and He did nothing. In fact, there have been several things I've prayed about on which God didn't seem to lift a finger on and help me. A lot of us feel this in our lives.

However, in looking at our Bible together, what promises or goalposts are you referring to that you think God has made that He's not fulfilling in your life? And how do you know God is finding something wrong with you and, because of it, refusing to respond to you?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A year ago I asked God when he would finally remove the curse, and he said sometime in November. But last November happened months ago, and I still suffer. About two months ago the Holy Spirit said it would be gone by late May
I can appreciate your frustration, but I just don't think our prayers are answered that way or that we should expect it. However, I know that some people do.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

https://d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.net/post_photos/98/f7/98f74d4c2f0c32971c604e45c0809b4a.jpeg Here is what I want to know: Why won’t God grant my simple, humane prayer request? As I said, it’s not like I’m asking for material things.

Can you be more specific about your prayer request? If it is something according to God's will, He will most probably answer it in time in some fashion. However, from your post it seems like you're demanding something from God. May I remind you who is in charge?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Lord knows your heart. In reading your OP it appears your heart has become bitter. Remember one thing in your quest for God's obedience, even Jesus Christ of Nazareth begged that the cup He was about to be handed be taken away..... "Father if it is in your will ". " Yet not my will but yours be done"
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why won’t God grant my simple, humane prayer request? As I said, it’s not like I’m asking for material things.

Well probably the best way to talk about this is my own experience and study of the subject.

I've had something similar. I've had lots and lots of problems with career, schooling etc. that have really impacted my life in the most basic ways of keeping a roof over my head, and especially romance and getting married. I spent a lot of time, praying hard for just a nice middle class job, nothing to special or above average but one where I could have the basics for what I needed in life. But in decades of struggling, I still got problems, and that even affected my marriage later on in life, where I got a divorce largely due to that problem.

In studying etc. there are a number of answers that hopefully will give you some degree of comfort and direction.

1) There is a good possibility that God has something better for you than what you are aiming for. It is something that is more difficult, and it takes more time and struggle. But rather than crying over spilt milk try to look for ways to use all the experience you have acquired for some new objective, something that is original, something the excites you. So the story of the "ugly duckling" comes to mind. See if there is a way, to turn those experiences into something else, rather than being a middle class, regular duck, maybe you are some kind of ground breaking swan.

Besides this I would also recommend this article/ video speech on failure by William Lane Craig that has personally helped me when it came to ruminating on some of my past failures.

Failure | Reasonable Faith

2) Remember the Characters of the Bible. Many significant people in the Bible had to wait a long time to receive their promises, get saved etc. That is true for a number of the main characters : Abraham, David, Noah etc. And not just that but there are many unnamed people that lived in between the different Bible stories and books who lived in slavery, exile, in conditions of domination and oppression by enemy kingdoms that had to endure these things believing for the promise.

There are a number of reasons for this.
a) God works things out to find the best time overall to fulfill some promises etc.

b) But more importantly, these times of suffering and struggle ideally speaking are for us to be conformed to the image of Christ, aka have his character formed in us.

c) God allows these times because he wants us to learn to help others with similar experiences. This may even be related to the specific ministry he has for you.

d) Besides all this these times, that are meant to establish our relationship with God. There was a saying from an old TV show I watched Smallville about how Clark Kent became superman and Lex Luthor became a supervillain. The saying is "It's not about the End... its about the journey." (Which was the point of the show, since the end was a foregone conclusion).

But that is true for us to. We should learn to fellowship with God for its own sake. Christianity before it was called Christianity was known earlier in the Book of Acts as "The Way". It was a path that believers walked on as they learned to come into fellowship with God, more than the way people try to depict it as a system of doctrines etc. Anyway it is good, if you can to change your perspective and maybe even let go a bit of some of those desires etc. and try to seek God for himself. And maybe unexpectedly, when you least expect it, you will find prayers answered in all kinds of ways that you never anticipated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Remember that God does not like selfish prayers. Have you ever prayed for other people who want the same thing you want? You have to give in order to Get. God knows all our needs/wants, the problem is that we do not care about each other. God is waiting for you to have compassion for others.
Remember the second law
Matthew 22:39 says "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself"

Upvote 0

Al Gammate

Jun 20, 2013
United States
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
-- Isaiah 55:8-9

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Is God not allowed to be God? Why is He obliged to answer your prayer in the way you want? Could it be that He sees the bigger picture, the entire weave of all the threads of existence, and takes into account in His decision to answer your prayer this larger panorama of factors that you could not even begin to understand? Perhaps God sees that your "simple, human request" has terrible future consequences utterly unforeseen by you, consequences that take in generations and factors you can't possibly account for from your limited, human perspective. Given that this is always the case, that God is always dealing with us from a vantage point far, far exceeding our own, it is necessary that we trust Him - even when His actions make little sense to us.

Have you seen a young child with a dangerous item scream and thrash when the item is taken away by its parent? The baby does not understand the danger, only its interest in the dangerous thing and its desire to continue to play with it. The parent, however, recognizes the risk the little one runs in taking up the harmful object and playing with it and so, regardless of the outcry, removes the object from the baby. The parent is showing wisdom and love, but the baby only sees the loss of a plaything, it only sees its desire thwarted. Should the parent accede to the angry displeasure, the tears and howls, of the baby and return the dangerous item to it? Of course not. Such a parent we would say is foolish, and wicked, and unloving.

This is the nature of the state of affairs between us and our Heavenly Father. We are infants compared to Him. We are profoundly ignorant children constantly taking up dangerous things with which to play, clamoring for things that will ultimately cause us harm. And God shows us His love, not by giving us what we want (even when we stamp and snarl at Him), but by NOT doing so.

It is necessary, then, that we let God be God in our lives, trusting that He always does what is right and good, even when, from our enormously limited viewpoint, we can't see that He has. When we refuse to relate with God this way, demanding our prayers be answered as we want and thrusting Him out if they aren't, we are the only ones who suffer. God is perfect. He doesn't need anything from us. Not one thing. If we all disappeared in the next moment, God would still be perfect, utterly undiminished by our absence. But we absolutely need Him - for everything! He is the Ground of All Reality, the Uncaused Cause of the universe. In Him we find truth, ultimate meaning, fulfillment, and the power to live as we were made to live. Without Him, we are adrift, without a fixed point of reference in the world, making it up as we go along, distracting ourselves with momentary, frivolous pleasures until we expire and are forgotten.

I realize none of what I've offered here is emotionally satisfying, but, regardless, it is the truth. Will you bring your emotions under the control of the truth, or will you let them sweep you along, this way and that, driving you away from your Maker and the meaning, truth and joy found only in Him?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
By the way, I'm not speaking to you as someone whose life is a bed of roses. Far from it. I have a physical impairment that profoundly - and negatively - affects my life. Though I have prayed for years now for healing, I am still plagued by the impairment. There have been times I've been bedridden for weeks on end, any movement causing me intense pain. I've had to work through this whole business of letting God be God even when I am suffering. He has given me peace, however, contentment with my circumstance, which could be much, much worse than it is. Despite the physical challenges that face me, there is much for which to thank God. And I do. The effect of gratefulness is amazing, dissolving a complaining, dissatisfied attitude quite powerfully! I highly recommend giving thanks to God when you're feeling sour (an act of the will not an expression of feeling). It is a wonderful curative for a grumpy, depressed and fearful mind.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why won’t God grant my simple, humane prayer request? As I said, it’s not like I’m asking for material things.
All I want is for God to get rid of something that is not within my ability to get rid of, but he has the ability to get rid of it. I want to have my life, my humanity, and my peace of mind back—but God always refuses to remove this horrible curse on my life.
And you say at one time God said, "later", and then the Holy Spirit said, essentially, "later". So, this would mean God personally talks with you.

But I am not sure it was God saying those things . . . since He does do what He promises. There's a guy in politics who would say later later later.

When Paul had an impossible thing to deal with, Jesus spoke to him personally. Jesus did not just give Paul a miracle of convenience, but He encouraged Paul to live in His grace which makes us able to do well in any situation and problem > 2 Corinthians 12:7-15.

With God we are creative in any horrible situation, like happened with Joseph > Genesis 37-50.

Of course, this is a general answer. And I respect if you desire privacy about your specific details. Privacy can be wise, of course.

But you say you want your "life" "back". Jesus brings us to better and better than any lives we have, now. Various people have said how God brought their lives to an end, so then He could give them so much better than all they had been desiring and seeking . . . while even wasting themselves and hurting themselves and others. Worry and arguing are very cruel and wasting and degrading, getting us away from how we can enjoy and share peace with God. Worry and arguing can come with being possessive of lives we want to control, instead of submitting to God in His peace. If I am not submitting to God in His peace > Colossians 3:15 > this is why I do not have peace > real peace does not depend on my circumstances.

You do say you want "peace of mind back". In God's peace we have His creativity for how to love any person, at all. If I get away from His peace, it is because somehow I got away. I have offered about thirteen minutes in a video about this > you can search Youtube with "p1QCRyQztLc" or "obey God in His peace William". And the exact title of the sharing is "obey God in His peace".

This talks about how we are blessed while we submit to how our Father rules us in His own peace being shared with us . . . sharing His creativity for how to love any person, included, and how He has us sharing as His family with one another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I’ve been thinking about this subject I brought up here, and I believe the Holy Spirit led me to think about the Bible verse Matthew 6:33, which says that it is necessary for a Christian to seek Christ first and foremost, then God’s blessings will be added as a reward.

It seems, however, like I’m already invigorated with zeal, holiness, and a passion for Christ. I’ve always prayed every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I already believe the teachings of Christ with utmost certainty, and I try my best to implement God’s word in my daily living to the best of my ability, acting as Jesus would. And prior to the coronavirus pandemic I was an active member of my church, attending religious services every week and being regularly involved with a Bible study group.

I’m thinking the problem God may have with me is some of my sinful habits. I have two vices that I engage in.

First vice: I drink, and when I do it’s typically a lot. For instance, I’ll drink a beer but won’t be satisfied with just one. I’ll drink a second beer, and then a third, and then a fourth, and finally I’ll drink a fifth beer. I’ll feel super buzzed and happy. Shortly thereafter I’ll get sleepy from having so much alcohol. Then I’ll sleep for about an hour, and when I wake up I feel like I want more alcohol and often have a difficult time refraining from drinking more. Mind you, my alcoholism—if that’s what it’s called—is by no means a daily habit. I’ll engage in excessive drinking maybe once or twice a week, but no more than that.

Still, I don’t think God is happy with my drinking vice. I know the Bible says Jesus drank wine during the last supper and also performed a miracle where he turned water into wine, which indicates God is okay with light, moderate, and occasional drinking—but drinking in excess like I like to do is probably a sin that God wants me to quit.

My second vice is that I like tobacco. I dip moist snuff every day and occasionally enjoy one or two cigarillos. I believe God thinks this is a sin because eventually it will kill me if I don’t quit. Tobacco is a huge cause of premature death throughout the world, resulting in the early deaths of millions of people every year. Big problem: it’s hard to quit because the withdrawals are so painful, and the cravings are intense.

So yeah, I’m already zealous and in good standing with God regarding my faith and passion for Christ. The issue God seems to have with me (and that's the reason why he isn't answering my prayer request I think) is my two vices, which I really like and want to quit, but it’s difficult because I like these habits. The best thing I can do is quit drinking altogether and also give up tobacco, but psychologically it’s a really hard task for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So yeah, I’m already zealous and in good standing with God regarding my faith and passion for Christ.

No, actually, you aren't. Forgive my bluntness.

God's word forbids drunkenness (Luke 21:34; Romans 13:13; Galatians 5:21; Ephesians 5:18). Drinking alcohol in the way you describe is sin. And God says in His word:

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not so short That it cannot save; Nor is His ear so dull That it cannot hear.
2 But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.

Psalm 66:18
18 If I regard wickedness in my heart, The Lord will not hear;

Whatever you think you have with God, the Bible says your issues with alcohol, your sin, cuts off your fellowship with God (though, not your relationship to Him as His child). He grows silent in the face of your sin, waiting for your prayer of genuine repentance from, and sincere confession of, it.

In moderation, your smoking is not really a problem - no worse, it seems to me, than eating the occasional ice cream cone or some bacon. But your being addicted to nicotine is. Paul wrote that he would not be brought under the power of anything (1 Corinthians 6:12) - save Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:21). You, though, are in bondage to a chemical, you have brought yourself under its power. Like Paul, you, too, should be in bondage only to Christ.

The issue God seems to have with me (and that's the reason why he isn't answering my prayer request I think) is my two vices, which I really like and want to quit, but it’s difficult because I like these habits.

Yup. It is a lie you're telling yourself, however, that you can have "vices" - sin, the Bible calls it - and be in any way okay with God. He hates sin. It cost Him the life of His Son to free us from it. And He does not turn a blind eye to it in our lives.

The best thing I can do is quit drinking altogether and also give up tobacco, but psychologically it’s a really hard task for me.

God's way to freedom from any and all sin is explained in Romans 6. Essentially, there are two main aspects to living in victory over sin:

1. Knowing who you are in Christ and standing by faith in your identity in him. (Romans 6:1-12)
2. Throughout every day, yielding yourself, lock-stock-and-barrel, to God as His "slave of righteousness." (Romans 6:13-22)

The means, then, to being who God wants you to be, to winning free of your sin, is not to tough it out and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, but to live in accord with the path to freedom Paul lays out in Romans 6.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I’ve been thinking about this subject I brought up here, and I believe the Holy Spirit led me to think about the Bible verse Matthew 6:33, which says that it is necessary for a Christian to seek Christ first and foremost, then God’s blessings will be added as a reward.

It seems, however, like I’m already invigorated with zeal, holiness, and a passion for Christ. I’ve always prayed every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I already believe the teachings of Christ with utmost certainty, and I try my best to implement God’s word in my daily living to the best of my ability, acting as Jesus would. And prior to the coronavirus pandemic I was an active member of my church, attending religious services every week and being regularly involved with a Bible study group.

I’m thinking the problem God may have with me is some of my sinful habits. I have two vices that I engage in.

First vice: I drink, and when I do it’s typically a lot. For instance, I’ll drink a beer but won’t be satisfied with just one. I’ll drink a second beer, and then a third, and then a fourth, and finally I’ll drink a fifth beer. I’ll feel super buzzed and happy. Shortly thereafter I’ll get sleepy from having so much alcohol. Then I’ll sleep for about an hour, and when I wake up I feel like I want more alcohol and often have a difficult time refraining from drinking more. Mind you, my alcoholism—if that’s what it’s called—is by no means a daily habit. I’ll engage in excessive drinking maybe once or twice a week, but no more than that.

Still, I don’t think God is happy with my drinking vice. I know the Bible says Jesus drank wine during the last supper and also performed a miracle where he turned water into wine, which indicates God is okay with light, moderate, and occasional drinking—but drinking in excess like I like to do is probably a sin that God wants me to quit.

My second vice is that I like tobacco. I dip moist snuff every day and occasionally enjoy one or two cigarillos. I believe God thinks this is a sin because eventually it will kill me if I don’t quit. Tobacco is a huge cause of premature death throughout the world, resulting in the early deaths of millions of people every year. Big problem: it’s hard to quit because the withdrawals are so painful, and the cravings are intense.

So yeah, I’m already zealous and in good standing with God regarding my faith and passion for Christ. The issue God seems to have with me (and that's the reason why he isn't answering my prayer request I think) is my two vices, which I really like and want to quit, but it’s difficult because I like these habits. The best thing I can do is quit drinking altogether and also give up tobacco, but psychologically it’s a really hard task for me.
You say you are zealous, but it says in the Bible not to make an exhibition of your piety, in other words I think God is not impressed with Ott worship, the opposite of zealous is humble submission and genuine repentance, which is what we are told God wants from us, and from what you have said so far you're not doing that, you're demanding what you want.
I don't know what your situation is, but try asking God what his plan / will for you is, and ask him if it is to keep you in the situation you are in, then pray for acceptance and maybe understanding of a bigger picture.
I was 44 before the penny finally dropped for me, I prayed only for guidance, and prommissed God that if I didn't understand the path he had sent me on then acceptance and submission would follow, even if that meant things never changing.
But for me, it wasn't until I did that, that everything changed, try it, what have you got to lose?

Last edited:
Upvote 0