• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Prayer

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by Religious Crisis, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Religious Crisis

Religious Crisis God is a Consuming Fire!!!

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    This my sound stupid, but I don't remmember how to pray. I just can remmember what I am supposed to do. Please help.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MizDoulos

MizDoulos <font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f

+3
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Hi, Religious Crisis ~ please tell me what you remember to do when you pray.

Prayer is simply talking to God. When you close your eyes and concentrate on talking to God from your heart, that's what we mean by praying. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Blessings,

Pat

3. solo66 man

solo66 man Well-Known Member

+2
    Write it down first. Each time you do that, the easier it is to pray. :)

4. Religious Crisis

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    So I should write down what I am going to pray about before I pray?

5. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    >>This my sound stupid, but I don't remmember how to pray. I just can remmember what I am supposed to do. Please help.

Oh, that is easy. The disciples asked Jesus how to pray and He told them. Here is the prayer we are to pray:

Luke 11:2-4
    So He said to them, "When you pray, say:

Our Father in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    [3] Give us day by day our daily bread.
    [4] And forgive us our sins,
    For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
    And do not lead us into temptation,
    But deliver us from the evil one."

Some good scriptures to meditate on are:

Philip. 4:8
    Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Galatians 5:22-23
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

6. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

+7
    Good post John.
    The Lord's prayer is a model for our prayers. Just talk to God as you would a person. Tell Him everything that is in your heart and mind.

7. solo66 man

solo66 man Well-Known Member

+2
    Actually, you write what you are praying. Then you can look back at it and reflect on your own praying. You will in no time start to pray very easily and without effort. But always remember the basic prayer Jesus taught the disciples as a guide substituting your own words. I really works.

8. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

+7
    I think that's a good idea. :)

9. supermagdalena

supermagdalena The Shrubs and the Flan.

+25
    Non-Denom
    I have a prayer journal where I write down my thoughts, prayers and blessings every night! It works for me at least, just to chat with God :)

10. hasbeens2000

hasbeens2000 New Member

+0
    Religious Crisis,

Like other posters have said, prayer isn't about a magic combination of words. It's just communicating with your heavenly Father. Here is an excerpt from a lesson my church had on prayer, specifically for new believers. Hope it helps.

Eric

11. supermagdalena

+25
    Non-Denom
    Haha! I LOVE that! :D That's such a cool way to think about it.

12. Religious Crisis

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    Thanks everyone, I will try out my mew found techneques (I don't think I spelled that right) tonight. How will I know of god is listening?

13. MizDoulos

MizDoulos <font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f

+3
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks everyone, I will try out my mew found techneques (I don't think I spelled that right) tonight. How will I know of god is listening?

Hi, Religious Crisis ~ I would first come to God with a seeking, contrite heart, asking Him to forgive me of my sins. He will hear and answer prayers. Here are some guidelines:

Seek God with all your heart (Jer. 29:12,13)
    Return to God (2 Chron. 7:14)
    Ask according to God's will (1 John 5:14)
    Fear God (Ps. 145:19)
    Humble yourselves (2 Chron. 7:14)
    Are righteous (James 5:16)
    Are poor and needy (Isaiah 41:17)
    Wait upon God (Psalm 40:1)

God bless you!

14. supermagdalena

+25
    Non-Denom
    First, I promise you He will be listening. he always is when one of His children talks to Him :) But, to get results, you need to believe that you will be answered. In other words, have faith. For instance, if you pray for freedom from a fear, believe that God will absolve your fear.

You'll know. You just will...it's something beyond description, a beautiful, pure comfort. It's the best natural high! :D

Hope these suggestions were helpful.

15. Rob

Rob Regular Member

+0
    He is God after all. He knows what you are going to pray about before you do :D

I always try to pray for Gods will in things. What He wants isn't always what we want. I remember last year praying one weekend for mission opportunities with members of my swim team.(I am a coach) When I got home I faced several difficult problems with a number of my swimmers. One had gotten in a fist fight with another's boyfriend at practice while I was gone. The kids were split down the middle with some siding with the girls and others siding with the guy. In dealing with the problem with several kids individually I got some of those opportunities. At a team bible study this year some of the kids talked about praying for this situation as it was happening. When I asked God for this in prayer I didn't think it would come through a crisis but it did.

I guess my advice is be careful what you ask for :D

God always answers prayers. It may not be answered the way we want of think beforehand

16. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

+7
    As the others have said, God will hear you don't worry. :)

17. aforchrist33

aforchrist33 Member

+1
    Non-Denom
    Dear ReligiousCrisis;

There are two biblical ways of praying.

1. The prayer of the old testament saints. To Jews God would walk through by promising to answer (Matthew 21:22) as he did in (Acts 4:31) which was expected only if they kept God's law. (John 15:7)

2. The prayer of the new testament saints. To Gentiles God is seeing through unpromised request (Philippians 4:6) which is not expected (2 Corinthians 12:8-10) without having to keep laws. (Romans 3:28)

Jesus tells us "Not to be as the hypocrite (Matthew 6:5,6) But to pray for,

1. Each other ..... Ephesians 6:18,19
    2. Understanding of "The Mystery" ..... Colossians 4:3
    3. God's word be delivered ..... 2 Thessalonians 3:1

God bless you for your concern, and be careful of false answers and teachers.

18. LovingGod

LovingGod New Member

+0
    All of us have been children and a lot of us become parents. Young children don't understand a lot of simple things to us. So they go to the people who do know, who try their very best in simple terms to explain on a level they will understand. The child doesn't want the most complex explaination that it could never understand- but something on it's level.
    In the same way we as part of the universal christian family must go and ask our father for things. The Holy Spirit will then guide you and show you God's path. Remember His path may be very different to what you expect and may not even make any sense in the short term. But to trust in God all is gain, but to trust in anything else all is loss.
    I guess for now you should keep it simple. Talk to him like a friend or relative. After all your personal relationship should be a close one. Just ask for any needs you see during the day- that God's will is done. I hope this helps. God bless all our family at christianforums, Paul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.