Aug 19, 2003
Visit site
✟15,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys!!!! :wave:
Well i was talking to an older Christian on the internet and we were talking about prayer and then he wanted me to pray. I'm not all that confident about praying where people can hear or read it. I tried to explian to him that i wasn't comfortable yet with praying in public. He really wouldn't listen and told me that because i didn't pray out loud he told me that i was ashamed of Jesus.... then proceeded to tell the other people in the chat room that i was ashamed of him...
Is it normal to have reservations about praying in public, because i DO pray, alot, all the time, just in my head....
It really made me feel really bad and terrible about myself..... :cry:
Should i be able to pray in public where people can hear me? Or is it ok to not pray in public til I'm comfortable? :help:

JillLars

It's a Boy! Jace David- Due 1/20/07
Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
lil one, there is nothing wrong with wanting to pray in private, and it doesn't mean you are ashamed of Jesus. We all have different personalities and therefore have different styles of worship to match. God knows our hearts, and intentions, if you are seeking him honestly, he will know, if you are hiding from something he will know. Some people like to hoot and holler in church and wave their hands. I am not comfortable doing that. It doesn't mean I love Jesus less, it doesn't mean I'm ashamed, it just isn't me. Don't let this person make you feel bad, it is not his place to judge your faith to God, only God can do that. Talk to God and develop your own methods of worshipping him, do what brings you closest to him. :)

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lil_one,
I don't know who it was you talked to but they were wrong. Reluctance to pray out loud does not mean you are ashamed of Jesus. This is a common thing among new Christians. It took me years before I was comfortable praying in front of others and I've been a believer for over 15 years.

Christ even encourages us to pray in private rather than praying out loud in public to be seen by men. (Ref: Matt 5-7. It's in there somewhere but I can't recall exactly where. It's a good read anyway.)

This is not to say that praying out loud is wrong but we should not do this to please other people. We pray to please God.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
lil_one said:
Hey guys!!!! :wave:
Well i was talking to an older Christian on the internet and we were talking about prayer and then he wanted me to pray. I'm not all that confident about praying where people can hear or read it. I tried to explian to him that i wasn't comfortable yet with praying in public. He really wouldn't listen and told me that because i didn't pray out loud he told me that i was ashamed of Jesus.... then proceeded to tell the other people in the chat room that i was ashamed of him...
Is it normal to have reservations about praying in public, because i DO pray, alot, all the time, just in my head....
It really made me feel really bad and terrible about myself..... :cry:
Should i be able to pray in public where people can hear me? Or is it ok to not pray in public til I'm comfortable? :help:

The person you were talking to was an idiot. Unfortunately the church, like any other institution, is replete with them.

Upvote 0

PuppyforChrist

Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I agree with everyone. Don't let other people hurt your walk with God in the way that this person did. I am just like that as well. I only pray in private because I too do not feel comfertble praying in public yet. Ask God for more confidence in yourself. You are doing the right thing. It doesn't matter whether you pray outloud or in your head, either way you are still praying and this pleases God. :)

Upvote 0

lil_one

Aug 19, 2003
Visit site
✟15,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys... I thought that it was ok. But once there is some doubt planted... then you know. :(
But reading your posts has really helped me get my confidence back, i'm just going to steer clear of that person, i don't want to have to explain myself for people.
I think it must be very normal for new Christians not to be confortable straight away with praying. And the fact that i don't have a church to go to yet makes it all the more difficult to get used to the idea of praying outloud...
:pink:

Upvote 0

Kaye8

Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
✟200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think sometimes new christians arent comfortable praying out loud becuase maybe they dont think theyre doing it right or something. I didnt want to pray out loud at first either. I was afraid too and I guess too shy to do it. But I got into a small group and I began getting comfortable with all the girls so I prayed out loud and I went from there praying more and more when needed. You will eventually be comfortable enough but there is no reason why you should pray now when your uncomfortable.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.