Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So coming from a Catholic setting, the St. Michael prayer is being used quite a bit these days.

But I am wondering if praying direct to an angel, and asking them to do something, is historically/biblically correct? Seems if we need help we should ask God, and let Him decide how best to help.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, it's really no different than praying "to" the Saints. We're asking for their intercession, and we're doing the same with the angels. In fact every prayer book that I have, and all of them come from monasteries have a prayer to say to our Guardian Angel, and I can't see how it would be different to ask for St. Michael's prayers. Again though it's a prayer asking them to pray for, and with us.

We're definitely not worshipping the angels of course, but asking for their intercession.

Edit : oops I didn't see Fr. Matt had already responded as it showed up after I hit send.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@Markie Boy I understand what you mean about the prayers that ask something more than just intercession. In the case of guardian angels, we do know that they watch over us, and that God has given them to us. He has directed them to guard and watch over us, and talking to angels certainly isn’t unheard of in Scripture (i.e. Acts 8). However, I still feel most comfortable asking for intercession, not for direct help. (Ultimately, that is the purpose of any prayer to angels, requesting intercession, just as it is with any other saint.)

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure - it goes like this, and I don't see it asking him to pray for us:

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

What part exactly are you asking about? I see you bolded some, but I'm not sure how to understand that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure - it goes like this, and I don't see it asking him to pray for us:

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

Thoughts?

maybe not this prayer, but anything St Michael does in this prayer is only done because it's allowed by God.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So coming from a Catholic setting, the St. Michael prayer is being used quite a bit these days.

But I am wondering if praying direct to an angel, and asking them to do something, is historically/biblically correct? Seems if we need help we should ask God, and let Him decide how best to help.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't hesitate to ask a friend or those in Heaven to pray for you and for others. God receives all prayers. As to history and the Bible, in Psalms like Psalm 103 we pray and address the angels in Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums