✟7,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi y'all,

I was looking to get a 100 knot prayer rope because I have started praying 100 Jesus prayers at my morning and evening prayers. I currently have a 50 knot cheap wool one that works for me but I don't like having to go back around a second time since I find that distracting when I'm praying it. I was looking up websites that sell prayer ropes and I found one that says its a "heavy floss prayer rope" do any of y'all have one similar to that? I can't afford to order it right now but I would be interested in a good website that sells/makes them.

Also, when I was searching online I came across a few websites of people who made or were teaching how to make your own prayer rope. Is this difficult to do? Do any of you make your own prayer ropes? If you make your own prayer rope, I would be interested to talk to you about how long it takes you to make it, what material you use, if you sell them/give them away or just use them for personal prayer.

And, if any one has an extra 100 knot prayer rope or makes them, that would be willing to send it to me, I would be interested in talking to you as well.

But please don't think I'm here just to get free things, I am seeking the Orthodox Faith but, as a student, I don't have much spare change laying around to dish out on these things.

God bless!

Reactions: seashale76

michaeldimmickjr

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Apr 9, 2005
✟8,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What will you do if you work up to 500 times a day? They don't make them that long ;)

Point being- the focus isn't the rope, it's the prayer. You don't even need to have a rope. Personally, I've had the same 50 knot rope for about 10 years now and it has remained a faithful friend.

Michael

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
plus, I would add that doing the Jesus Prayer should be done under the spiritual direction of an Orthodox priest. so I would say that as you pursue Orthodoxy and meet with a priest, bring it up to him, and he can direct you on what to get or how much to do the prayer.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To the OP: I'd ask you to consider trying our Orthodox morning prayers instead of saying the same prayer 50, 100, 500 times...

We have BEAUTIFUL prayers for the a.m.!! When I was Catholic, I prayed the Rosary frequently, did all the Catholic prayers, and was worried when I converted to Orthodoxy that I wouldn't be able to give up repetitive Catholic prayers. BOY was I wrong! I spent like $4.00 on this little prayer book from the Antiocheans....love it!!!! Deeper, more beautiful, reverent, awesome....

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,370.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have several Chotki - I try to have one in the pocket of all my jackets , but I keep 'losing' them :( Mine are all 33 bead ones.

Last time was flying back from JFK - it was in use during take off [ I don't like flying ] and once we were up at cruising level my neighbour asked me about it [ I tend to use wooden ones ] - she asked if it was a Rosary - so I explained . Mine gained a new owner that day.

Good job I had a small lestovka in my camera bag :) I'm NOT parting with that.

Even my priest has smiled when he spots mine in use during his sermons - he preaches in Ukrainian - so I use the time for prayer - he doesn't mind.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi y'all,

I was looking to get a 100 knot prayer rope because I have started praying 100 Jesus prayers at my morning and evening prayers. I currently have a 50 knot cheap wool one that works for me but I don't like having to go back around a second time since I find that distracting when I'm praying it. I was looking up websites that sell prayer ropes and I found one that says its a "heavy floss prayer rope" do any of y'all have one similar to that? I can't afford to order it right now but I would be interested in a good website that sells/makes them.
Blessed that I had mine given to me by my priest as a gift. It's from Mount Athos - It's a 100-knot rope made of black wool (Russian Style Cross with Tassel) and it has helped me on multiple occasions with regards to the Jesus Prayer.

That said, some potential places that may be of benefit to you would be places such as St. Paisius Monastery or Greek Orthodox Prayer Ropes Handmade in Prayer by Nuns

They have very good prices

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or, you might consider making one for yourself. There are instructions which include pictures or videos on the steps used to make the knots. It is a very difficult and painstaking task, ideal for a lenten activity because it is conducive to prayer, meditation, and the exercise of patience.

Upvote 0

ThePapist

Jul 8, 2013
✟7,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To the OP: I'd ask you to consider trying our Orthodox morning prayers instead of saying the same prayer 50, 100, 500 times...

We have BEAUTIFUL prayers for the a.m.!! When I was Catholic, I prayed the Rosary frequently, did all the Catholic prayers, and was worried when I converted to Orthodoxy that I wouldn't be able to give up repetitive Catholic prayers. BOY was I wrong! I spent like $4.00 on this little prayer book from the Antiocheans....love it!!!! Deeper, more beautiful, reverent, awesome....

I have this prayer book called "Daily Prayers for Orthodox Christians" and "A Manual of the Hours of the Orthodox Church" and I pray those IN ADDITION to the prayer rope. I pray the morning prayer in one of those books or from this prayer rule I found online, and then I pray like 50-100 Jesus prayers. Its something that works for me, even though not "instructed by a priest"

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,370.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Papist - have you actually spoken with an Orthodox priest yet ?

Normally we [ and yes this includes folk like me - EC ] ask for guidance as to our prayer life.

I've given up trying to get anything extra past my Confessor - somehow he always knows if I am doing more than he's happy with.

Upvote 0

Michael Weber

Sep 11, 2015
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blessed that I had mine given to me by my priest as a gift. It's from Mount Athos - It's a 100-knot rope made of black wool (Russian Style Cross with Tassel) and it has helped me on multiple occasions with regards to the Jesus Prayer.

That said, some potential places that may be of benefit to you would be places such as St. Paisius Monastery or Greek Orthodox Prayer Ropes Handmade in Prayer by Nuns

They have very good prices

Gxg (G²), OrthodoxCrafts.com is another good source of Eastern Orthodox wool prayer ropes (Chotki in Russian and Komboskini in Greek). They also offer Panagia's Tears and prayer rope bracelets. All the best...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I thought this thread looked familiar (the OP). ;)

Just wanted to say - Welcome to CF, and to TAW, Michael Weber.

I guess I never posted on this thread myself. I've been using the same 33-knot one. I admit, I rather want a longer one just because mine necessarily has a fairly sharp curve to it, and I think a longer one would "flow" better. But then again, it's not nearly as distracting as I would think. It has one odd knot - that plus the cross bead both get my attention. But it does still work ...

I want to try someday making them, but I'm pretty sure that's just a discipline. I don't make that much per hour, but it's probably still "cheaper" to buy one from someone who knows how. I'll probably save something like 11 cents an hour by the time I actually get one made, LOL.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟8,471.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What will you do if you work up to 500 times a day? They don't make them that long ;)

Point being- the focus isn't the rope, it's the prayer. You don't even need to have a rope. Personally, I've had the same 50 knot rope for about 10 years now and it has remained a faithful friend.

Michael
I couldn't imagine a 500 knot prayer rope. I have a 300 knot one and it is very cumbersome and unwieldy. I'd rather use a 100 knot one and repeat as necessary. Plus, my 100 knot one has a piece of Saint John Maximovitch's monastic robe sewn into it.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟23,404.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi my dear friend!!!!! I wish you are fine!! :):):)

You must find an Orthodox Priest-Spiritual Father and he will explain you about the Prayer of Jesus with a prayer rope!!

If you live near Arizona you can visit the St Anthony's Orthodox Monastery of Arizona ST ANTHONY’S MONASTERY IN ARIZONA, USA and talk with Father Ephraim or someone else Father!

Here is a video, How to tie an Orthodox prayer rope:

How To Tie an Orthodox Prayer Rope

Preferably use 100% woolen yarn for knitting needles number 9.

For practice until you learn it properly, use a thick twine to solve easily in every mistake.

Have a nice time my friend!! Nice to meet you here!!

:):);)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi my dear friend!!!!! I wish you are fine!! :):):)

You must find an Orthodox Priest-Spiritual Father and he will explain you about the Prayer of Jesus with a prayer rope!!

If you live near Arizona you can visit the St Anthony's Orthodox Monastery of Arizona ST ANTHONY’S MONASTERY IN ARIZONA, USA and talk with Father Ephraim or someone else Father!

Here is a video, How to tie an Orthodox prayer rope:

How To Tie an Orthodox Prayer Rope

Preferably use 100% woolen yarn for knitting needles number 9.

For practice until you learn it properly, use a thick twine to solve easily in every mistake.

Have a nice time my friend!! Nice to meet you here!!

:):);)

I still need to learn to make one, maybe, since I finally know what I want. I have need of different ones for different circumstances, but I REALLY want one about 50 knots with no bead at all, since there are times I don't need to count and don't want to be interrupted. And 50 should have about the right curve. 100 is too long when it's not needed, and 33 is too short, so I think that's my only option. :)

But I have a feeling it's a long learning curve. Thanks for the info. :)

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟23,404.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I still need to learn to make one, maybe, since I finally know what I want. I have need of different ones for different circumstances, but I REALLY want one about 50 knots with no bead at all, since there are times I don't need to count and don't want to be interrupted. And 50 should have about the right curve. 100 is too long when it's not needed, and 33 is too short, so I think that's my only option. :)

But I have a feeling it's a long learning curve. Thanks for the info. :)

That's right my dear sis!!!!!! :):):);) The prayer with prayer rope is so sweet!!!!! It's like a phone! You calling the God! The Holy Virgin Mary the Mother of God and All Saints...! :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do appreciate it. A friend of mine who is a monk and a bishop made one for me, and it has beads at every 10, which at first I did not like. But they are the same size as the knots, so I just pray them as well, so that if I AM counting, I know that certain beads are 33, 77. That makes the whole thing 110 rather than 100, but my SF says I can keep going, so extras aren't a problem. I just want one now that doesn't count or interrupt me at all. I do like the wool so much now that I have used different kinds. :)

That is helpful knowing the sizes, if I do try to learn to tie them. Thank you!

Btw, a nun showed me how to loop thread back through the whole thing, to prevent it stretching or being damaged if it's caught on something and pulled. I found that very helpful advice!

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟23,404.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I do appreciate it. A friend of mine who is a monk and a bishop made one for me, and it has beads at every 10, which at first I did not like. But they are the same size as the knots, so I just pray them as well, so that if I AM counting, I know that certain beads are 33, 77. That makes the whole thing 110 rather than 100, but my SF says I can keep going, so extras aren't a problem. I just want one now that doesn't count or interrupt me at all. I do like the wool so much now that I have used different kinds. :)

That is helpful knowing the sizes, if I do try to learn to tie them. Thank you!

Btw, a nun showed me how to loop thread back through the whole thing, to prevent it stretching or being damaged if it's caught on something and pulled. I found that very helpful advice!

Yes! There is no problem about the extra 10 knots!! :):):) I wish you to learn easy and quickly to tie prayer ropes!!! ;););)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Me too .... I can just make one as long as I want it! But I suspect that those nice, even knots that I like, that don't distract me, are not something that a beginner would produce. ;)

Upvote 0