Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I always wonder if I am doing it right! I am sometimes ashamed my prayers seem to become a list of things I want God to do for me. So I try to correct myself.

Usually, I pray in the bath at the start of my day. I start by addressing all three, father, son and holy spirit. Then I direct my prayers to Jesus. I thank Him for always taking care of me, all my life, even when I didn't believe. Then I say the Lord's Prayer and try to truly concentrate on every word.

Then I go through my problems, hopes, and worries. I ask Jesus to help me specifically. Then I ask Him to surround me and my family and friends with His light and protection. I ask for the Peace that only He can provide. Then I pray for all those people in my life who are sick or in need. Especially my elderly mum.

During the day, when things go wrong, I tend to sometimes forget that Jesus is always available,then I remember and pray as I go.

When things become very challenging, I award myself an evening of immersion in scripture. Just quietly reading my Christian books, bible on kindle and contemplation.

This all sounds time consuming but it's not. It's all done alongside daily tasks. If I'm ironing, driving, gardening or cooking, that is valuable time to pray, in my head, silently. Without prayer, for me, life would be futile and empty, it used to be. Years ago I had no direction or foundation. So depression and anger were my norm. Now, I feel utterly secure, safe. I know my purpose is to worship the Lord and live in His Will and way.

So, how do you pray, when and do you find it easy or hard to find the words?

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I always wonder if I am doing it right! I am sometimes ashamed my prayers seem to become a list of things I want God to do for me. So I try to correct myself.

Usually, I pray in the bath at the start of my day. I start by addressing all three, father, son and holy spirit. Then I direct my prayers to Jesus. I thank Him for always taking care of me, all my life, even when I didn't believe. Then I say the Lord's Prayer and try to truly concentrate on every word.

Then I go through my problems, hopes, and worries. I ask Jesus to help me specifically. Then I ask Him to surround me and my family and friends with His light and protection. I ask for the Peace that only He can provide. Then I pray for all those people in my life who are sick or in need. Especially my elderly mum.

During the day, when things go wrong, I tend to sometimes forget that Jesus is always available,then I remember and pray as I go.

When things become very challenging, I award myself an evening of immersion in scripture. Just quietly reading my Christian books, bible on kindle and contemplation.

This all sounds time consuming but it's not. It's all done alongside daily tasks. If I'm ironing, driving, gardening or cooking, that is valuable time to pray, in my head, silently. Without prayer, for me, life would be futile and empty, it used to be. Years ago I had no direction or foundation. So depression and anger were my norm. Now, I feel utterly secure, safe. I know my purpose is to worship the Lord and live in His Will and way.

Great way to pray sis. If I may suggest a slight modification: after lifting up the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, start by praying for all government officials all over the world (1 Timothy 2:2). It doesn't have to be in that order because the Apostle Paul does say prayers for everyone but since he made a specific reference to all authorities I pray that way and include ministers and missionaries, and those who need salvation. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lilly, here are a few thing to consider. The first is from Campus Crusade for Christ (now simply called "Cru") which can be found here: Step 4: The Christian and Prayer

I often use the "ACTS" pattern of prayer to help me when I pray.

A - Adoration
C - Confession
T - Thanksgiving
S - Supplication​

The Billy Graham Crusade also recommends ACTS as a pattern for helping to create an effective daily prayer life: How does one pray? I've never been taught how to say a personal prayer or really talk to God.

The second, from the Navigators, "The Prayer Hand", is similar: https://www.navigators.org/resource/the-prayer-hand/

Last (for now) is a sermon from Dr. MacArthur's 4-part Spiritual Boot Camp series which seeks to address the basics of four of the most important spiritual disciplines that help keep us strong in the faith, and to give us practical ways to do so. You can listen to and/or read his sermon, How To Pray, online for free here: https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/1358/how-to-pray (as well the other three messages in the series if you care to, How to Study the Bible, How to Function in the Body, and How to Witness). I listened to this series 30 years ago or so and am still using some of the things I learned from it today in my walk.

You just have to find what works best for you (and you will :)).

Praying for you!

--David
p.s. - taking a close look at the "Lord's Prayer" and how He taught us to pray (and why), is certainly a good idea as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's the series I was thinking of on the Lord's Prayer, though this is one you'll have to buy if you want to hear it (save the first message which is free). It's from Dr. R. C. Sproul and is called simply, The Lord's Prayer. It can be found here: The Lord's Prayer by R.C. Sproul (the additional messages in this series are $2.00 each when downloaded from Ligonier)

Like I said, this prayer is the one the Lord used to teach us how to pray, and Dr. Sproul can help you understand all that the Lord was trying to say to us about prayer in those few verses, and help give you ways to apply what you learn in a practical way as well.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It sounds like you are on the right track. :)

There are many ways to pray.

In your personal prayers, I would offer the suggestion my spiritual father directed me to do, which is to pray for others before praying for self. Including thanks is good and important. It is also good to take stock on a regular basis and ask forgiveness for everywhere we fall short.

If you enjoy praying the Lord's Prayer, you might also consider praying the Psalms sometimes. There are wonderful Psalms glorifying God, those of contrition, and so on. One of the best benefits of formal prayers like these is in teaching us how to properly magnify God. In Orthodoxy, we use these and other ancient prayers and have many collected into prayer books. There are other prayer books available as well. Letting those words change us as we pray can be very helpful. They also give us a kind of "vocabulary" so that expressing ourselves in prayer becomes easier even when we pray from our own minds - we don't search for words anymore. You already have the important part of this kind of prayer down - PRAYING them, instead of mindlessly reciting. :)

Prayer while working is excellent too. You can continue as you have been, or find short repetitive prayers to pray at such times to help teach the mind and body to "pray without ceasing". Ancient Christians often used the Psalms for this. Orthodoxy and sometimes others use the Jesus Prayer - "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner" (sometimes shortened).

Prayer while meditating on God, or on the Scriptures, is very beneficial. More of a "listening" still kind of prayer, but I must warn that there is danger of delusion in such prayer as the enemy often tries to use it to deceive. Engaging in this sort of prayer, one is wise to have an advisor or guide, that can identify possible subtle tricks of the enemy. Of the two, meditating on Scripture is safer than meditating on God Himself in that respect, and the quieter and stiller one is, the greater the danger. But there is great value in it - just best not deeply engaged on one's own.

God be with you.

• Winner
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lilly, @~Anastasia~ has given you some EXCELLENT advice, so consider carefully everything she had to say about prayer above :)

*(great post Anastasia, thank you for that :oldthumbsup:)

Also, what she said, in part, reminded me of a little book that has been very helpful to me in my daily walk called, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. Its a Christian classic and a very worthwhile read (and I believe it would be useful to you in your pursuit of a better prayer life).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - you can read it online and/or download it for free here: Practice of the Presence of God: The Best Rule of Holy Life - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lilly, @~Anastasia~ has given you some EXCELLENT advice, so consider carefully everything she had to say about prayer above :)

*(great post Anastasia, thank you for that :oldthumbsup:)

Also, what she said, in part, reminded me of a little book that has been very helpful to me in my daily walk called, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. Its a Christian classic and a very worthwhile read (and I believe it would be useful to you in your pursuit of a better prayer life).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - you can read it online and/or download it for free here: Practice of the Presence of God: The Best Rule of Holy Life - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Very kind of you my brother. I am mostly wanting to second your suggestion of that book.

Yes, Lilly, as you describe your prayer life, I think this book would be wonderful for you to read. It is a quick read, but very richly addresses exactly some of what you describe.

Great recommendation, David! :)

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great way to pray sis. If I may suggest a slight modification: after lifting up the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, start by praying for all government officials all over the world (1 Timothy 2:2). It doesn't have to be in that order because the Apostle Paul does say prayers for everyone but since he made a specific reference to all authorities I pray that way and include ministers and missionaries, and those who need salvation. Peace in Christ :).

Hi
indeed. Great suggestion, thanks, which I will incorporate into my prayers. It's so easy to focus on just what I need! Very important to pray for those in power at all levels to have sound judgment and good sense, with Christ as their guide.

Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Personally i try to speak to God in a formal manner, sometimes i accidentally sound poetic, sometimes i speak too casual for my own comfort. i never talk to God like i do my friends or family, as God is our Father and Lord he deserves the respect of speech free from slang and definitely free from curse words, sometimes i recite the lord's prayer, or verses of in along with my own speech, sometimes i lack the proper way to express my feelings completely and sound like a mumbling fool. what ever the case may be, speak slowly and from the heart and you will be fine --- this is after all my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally i try to speak to God in a formal manner, sometimes i accidentally sound poetic, sometimes i speak too casual for my own comfort. i never talk to God like i do my friends or family, as God is our Father and Lord he deserves the respect of speech free from slang and definitely free from curse words, sometimes i recite the lord's prayer, or verses of in along with my own speech, sometimes i lack the proper way to express my feelings completely and sound like a mumbling fool. what ever the case may be, speak slowly and from the heart and you will be fine --- this is after all my opinion.

Hi
wow! You are describing me! Nice to meet you. Isn't it wonderful to converse with others who feel the same, loving the Lord our God?

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi
wow! You are describing me! Nice to meet you. Isn't it wonderful to converse with others who feel the same, loving the Lord our God?

the pleasure is all mine, Yes ma'am it is, I'm thankful to have something in common with a sister of the faith

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status