Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a post about how you pray. I am not desiring for a debate, simply discussion on how you like to pray. There is no wrong or right answer here, I am simply looking for inspiration on how our members pray.

Do you use icons and or prayer beads? Do you pray using scripture? Is your prayer usually more free-form?

For me, it is a little of all of the above. I have several icons and prayer beads from the Catholic and Lutheran traditions. Generally, I pray using scriptural contemplation, books of prayer by Martin Luther as well as the Book of Common Prayer (1978)and the Lutheran Book of Worship. Other times my prayer is more free-form petitions.

Last edited:

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
No prayer beads (rosary beads) or icons. I generally will say the Our Father for the majority of my prayers. I will also do an off the cuff prayer as well occasionally.

I do have the common book of prayer as well and should probably use it, but haven't as of yet.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a post about how you pray. I am not desiring for a debate, simply discussion on how you like to pray. There is no wrong or right answer here, I am simply looking for inspiration on how our members pray.

Do you use icons and or prayer beads? Do you pray using scripture? Is your prayer usually more free-form?

For me, it is a little of all of the above. I have several icons and prayer beads from the Catholic and Lutheran traditions. Generally, I pray using scriptural contemplation, books of prayer by Martin Luther as well as the Common Book of Prayer (1978)and the Lutheran Book of Worship. Other times my prayer is more free-form petitions.

Though in my life I always prayed only occasionally, when it seemed the need was very pressing, urgent or great.

Like once in a year even, or a couple of times in 4, 5 years...

When I began to reread the gospel accounts again, I started to notice Christ repeatedly told His disciples to pray they not be led into temptation. This made an impression on me.

I finally began to realize the prayer we pray in church once a week is actually the prayer Christ said to us to pray(!), and is meant for us to pray each day(!). That was a moment. I began to do as He said, in this regard, and pray this prayer each day.

I pray like my life depends on it, in a sense. Perhaps this was from my habit -- to only pray when the need was profoundly pressing and at times even life or death. So, I pray in a very....sincere way, like it matters greatly. Which it does. And I understand I'm actually addressing God.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I copied this from a book I was reading. I think it may have been A Puritan Theology. But it might be from something else since I’m usually reading two or three books at once. I go over it about once a week as it’s at the top of my prayer journal.

1. What we pray for; that it be lawful, good, and agreeable to God’s will. We should not pray like pagans in ignorance of what pleases God, for we have the Word of God to direct us and His Spirit to incline us.
2. The order of what we pray for; that we seek first the kingdom of God (Matt. 6:33), giving highest priority to God’s glory and our salvation, then praying for temporal goods with submission and subordination, if these be God’s will and could further our spiritual good.
3. The words we use in prayer; that they be grave, decent, and comely. Our prayers should be free of “vanity, affectation, or irreverence.” Prayer worships God.
4. The One to whom we pray, namely, to Almighty God. Our majestic King deserves the attention of an undivided heart. Who goes into the presence of a king without preparing to please Him?
5. How we should pray; that we pray with the associated graces, such as faith which is “the life and soul of all,” as well as zeal, fervency, faith, heavenly-mindedness, and hatred of sin. Without those graces, prayer is like a bird without wings, or a rusty key.
6. Why we are praying; that we not lose sight of the true purpose of prayer. James 4:7 tells us, “You ask and have not because you ask amiss. You ask to spend on your lusts.” We must seek God’s kingdom before asking for temporal things.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For me, it is a little of all of the above. I have several icons and prayer beads from the Catholic and Lutheran traditions. Generally, I pray using scriptural contemplation, books of prayer by Martin Luther as well as the Book of Common Prayer (1978)and the Lutheran Book of Worship. Other times my prayer is more free-form petitions.

Thanks for this. I was thinking along the same lines and would add a few more things...

Is prayer only formal for you or can it be informal? Is it only at set times or is it at anytime? Is it only one approach or various? Do you have to be in some position to pray? Do you have niche that you are good at praying about certain things or certain ways? What motivates you to pray? What keeps you from praying?

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for this. I was thinking along the same lines and would add a few more things...

Is prayer only formal for you or can it be informal? Is it only at set times or is it at anytime? Is it only one approach or various? Do you have to be in some position to pray? Do you have niche that you are good at praying about certain things or certain ways? What motivates you to pray? What keeps you from praying?
Good questions. For me, it can be anywhere at any time. That said, I do tend to have specific times, usually in the early morning. Friday evenings my wife and son and I say some prayers before dinner. Sometimes it is from the Jewish Shabbat prayers, sometimes from Martin Luther, sometimes from a Celtic prayer book I have.

Motivation can be selfish or ritualistic, but having set rituals helps me a lot. It keeps me focused and I find comfort in knowing when/how something is going to go. Other motivations are to try and help other people.

Things that keep me from praying...distractions, time, loss of sleep...depression at times.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Greatest thing about prayer to me is not that we pray, but that God hears our prayers! This is the greatest hinge on prayer that God always listens and answers! Glory always goes to him alone through Christ.

1. For me it's spontaneous and extemporaneous. They are no walls for prayer, none whatsoever. It has to be in spirit and truth (Jn 4:20-21). Though worship is the theme in this passage, I've always seen this also for prayer. Location is unimportant most of the time. I'll pray anywhere.

2. This is my overall conviction. I'm such a sinner, I have not arrived, I need more time in prayer. I have access to the throne of grace because of Jesus Heb 4 14-16. If you had free tickets to something awesome would you use it? Don't sit on your prayer tickets. I have audience with the King of Kings!

3. I pray now and not say, I'll pray for you" as I might forget. Even when someone shares something I'll say, "Let's pray about that right now" and proceed in prayer. Even non-Christians appreciate this. Later, nah, I might forget. So how do I know you really prayed for me? Prov 3:28. (Jesus said two or more (Mt 18:19) This is a public prayer forum, not private but that's another thread.)

4. I'll pray while walking, while running, while driving,(If I pass an accident, I pray right away, as I would want the same for me if I were in accident (Mt 7:12; Prov 3:28), again there are no walls. Standing, sitting, with my eyes open, with them closed, on my knees.

5. I don't use any objects as I don't see that taught in the Bible.

6. I don't use prayer books or others prayers as to read out, though I may piggy back or relay off them. In praying with others though, I need to work on saying Amen to the prayers of others, even as I appreciate their Amen to mine.

7. I always anticipate answers, even if they are no, or later. God is always at work, and I marvel, especially at the yes, or
Amen, or so let it be.

8. Just to be able to pray is a privilege and honor I never take for granted. I know what's it's like to not know God, and since knowing him there no greater privilege in life.

[1Th 5:17 ESV] 17 pray without ceasing,

[Hab 3:3-4 NIV] 3 God came from Teman, the Holy One from Mount Paran. His glory covered the heavens and his praise filled the earth. 4 His splendor was like the sunrise; rays flashed from his hand, where his power was hidden.

[Psa 145:15-19 NIV] 15 The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. 16 You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. 17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways and faithful in all he does. 18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. 19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.

[Rev 8:3-4 NIV] 3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God's people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God's people, went up before God from the angel's hand.

[Luk 11:9-10 NIV] 9 "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

[Luk 18:1 NIV] 1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Typically I try to say the Lord’s Prayer three times a day. Morning, afternoon & in the evening but with conscience attention to what I’m saying instead of just zippering right through it.

At night I pray with specific intention for others needs and thanks for His blessings and relationship.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, think it's important for us to forgive. Since it's a component of the prayer commonly referred to as The Lord's Prayer, then we need to forgive as needed. "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Matt 6

From the beginning "But for Cain and his offering He had no respect or regard. So Cain was exceedingly angry and indignant, and he looked sad and depressed. And the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? And why do you look sad and depressed and dejected? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin crouches at your door; its desire is for you, but you must master it." Gen 4

Also, "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:" Eph 4:26 To apply this Scripture to their relationship, a couple we know BOTH apologize before 10 PM whenever they have any type of disagreement.

No need to give the accuser of the brethren (Rev) that opening - or any opening.

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" Matt 5:44

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums