• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Prayer for the Mind

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mods please feel free to remove if this is disallowed but I think from reading the rules this should be okay. I drafted a prayer for the mind that might be helpful for some people here so I thought I would share it (Prayer For The Mind | Christian Forums). Please let me know if you find it helpful!

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great prayer, and I love the city analogy you made.

I recently found out about the so called 'gut brain' It sort of fits with your city analogy. The gut brain would be like an upstream suburb dumping waste into the city river.

The Brain-Gut Connection

So I have been teaching myself how to override the gut brain in situations that create anxiety. I had a lot of practice these past few weeks on Job Interviews. Just knowing the 'gut brain' really exists is half the battle. I always assumed that it was our brains between our ears that produced the 'butterflies' and they were just a consequence of fear, like the brain was making the stomach juices excrete liquid panic, but I'm trying to believe that the so called 'gut brain nerves' are what are really attacking the big rational brain once those gut nerves get stimulated, sort of like an autoimmune fight or flight response, so I'm getting better at shutting out those gut brain signals in stressful situations until I can get my bearings and relax. One trick I learned is also to think of those butterflies as 'excitement' rather than 'anxiety. ' I m no longer 'anxious'about my next job interview but now I'm just getting 'excited.' Every victory over anxiety builds more confidence.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Great prayer, and I love the city analogy you made.

I recently found out about the so called 'gut brain' It sort of fits with your city analogy. The gut brain would be like an upstream suburb dumping waste into the city river.

The Brain-Gut Connection

So I have been teaching myself how to override the gut brain in situations that create anxiety. I had a lot of practice these past few weeks on Job Interviews. Just knowing the 'gut brain' really exists is half the battle. I always assumed that it was our brains between our ears that produced the 'butterflies' and they were just a consequence of fear, like the brain was making the stomach juices excrete liquid panic, but I'm trying to believe that the so called 'gut brain nerves' are what are really attacking the big rational brain once those gut nerves get stimulated, sort of like an autoimmune fight or flight response, so I'm getting better at shutting out those gut brain signals in stressful situations until I can get my bearings and relax. One trick I learned is also to think of those butterflies as 'excitement' rather than 'anxiety. ' I m no longer 'anxious'about my next job interview but now I'm just getting 'excited.' Every victory over anxiety builds more confidence.

Thank you for this information and I agree that reframing emotions is very important. When I can reframe anxiety as excitement or even anticipation it is helpful. I think it's really just energy and our attitude determines how it is expressed.

Upvote 0