Akron
✟15,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray for me Brothers and Sisters. I am so ready to give up my faith.

every day since I started focusing my life on god has been utter confusion, depression, and torture.
I have so many doctorinal questions, it seems there is so many contradictions, so many regrets and fears. I try not to sin, but in doing so I become fixated and obsessive. It seems like all I am allowed to do is sit in a dark room and think of nothing. I was taught all my life that faith was enough, and that we will never be able to reach god's perfect standard, but then after we believe and are saved paul, james, and the other apostles say something along the lines of "the sexually immoral wont enter heaven." This isnt an isolated incident. The new testament is just as full of fire and brimstone. we once again have to live up to a standard, but who can meet it? If its a sin to look at a woman with lust, then who can be saved? To feel angry is to murder also. Who can be saved?
This leads into a whole new theological issue, namely that it seems impossible that anything can get done! Paul can state that marriage is good as is bearing children, but how am I supposed to court a woman to the point of marriage without feeling even a tiny bit of lust? How am I supposed to lead or teach others if Pride is forbidden? If everything is a sin how can anything god honoring get done? Sin must be good if that is the case.
The only solace I have found was in the doctorine of "everything is permissible" but everyone seems to be in agreement that this is untrue.
I will let nobody claim that I am not trying hard enough. I feel like I have tested everything and come out wanting. Even when it caused me despair I held fast to something that I have at times thought was killing me. Nothing would be a greater relief for me than for someone to call me a fool and correct me
I have asked for signs and miracles. and understanding that god doesnt work like that. I have tried legalism, total freedom. waiting for god to act, acting of my own initiative. Thinking about sin more and sin less. more devotion to god, shrinking away from god.
The only doctorine that ever set well with me was christian liberty, but it seems recently like its false.
What is going on with me?

• Prayers
Reactions: ChildofGod222

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

every day since I started focusing my life on god has been utter confusion, depression, and torture.
I have so many doctorinal questions, it seems there is so many contradictions, so many regrets and fears. I try not to sin, but in doing so I become fixated and obsessive. It seems like all I am allowed to do is sit in a dark room and think of nothing. I was taught all my life that faith was enough, and that we will never be able to reach god's perfect standard, but then after we believe and are saved paul, james, and the other apostles say something along the lines of "the sexually immoral wont enter heaven." This isnt an isolated incident. The new testament is just as full of fire and brimstone. we once again have to live up to a standard, but who can meet it? If its a sin to look at a woman with lust, then who can be saved? To feel angry is to murder also. Who can be saved?
This leads into a whole new theological issue, namely that it seems impossible that anything can get done! Paul can state that marriage is good as is bearing children, but how am I supposed to court a woman to the point of marriage without feeling even a tiny bit of lust? How am I supposed to lead or teach others if Pride is forbidden? If everything is a sin how can anything god honoring get done? Sin must be good if that is the case.
The only solace I have found was in the doctrine of "everything is permissible" but everyone seems to be in agreement that this is untrue.
I will let nobody claim that I am not trying hard enough. I feel like I have tested everything and come out wanting. Even when it caused me despair I held fast to something that I have at times thought was killing me. Nothing would be a greater relief for me than for someone to call me a fool and correct me
I have asked for signs and miracles. and understanding that god doesnt work like that. I have tried legalism, total freedom. waiting for god to act, acting of my own initiative. Thinking about sin more and sin less. more devotion to god, shrinking away from god.
The only doctorine that ever set well with me was christian liberty, but it seems recently like its false.

I really don't like saying it like this but, you sound like a Babe in Christ.

Everything you have expressed shows you are not grounded in the Faith, you are not sure where it is your supposed to stand "IN" Christ.

Two metaphors come to mind.
1) Running around like a chicken with your head cut off, not knowing which way to go because, you cannot see where it is your going.
2) A dog chasing their tail, because that is all he can see in front of him.

Ether way, You do not know which way to go and even if you do go in a certain direction you question it.

That is a description of a Novice, there is nothing wrong with being a Novice, it's that you want to do it correctly and you find it isn't as easy as you might have thought.

Everything seems to be a sin, that in it self says you do not know nor understand where you stand IN Christ.

You are still trying to do it yourself, Jesus has already done it for you, Identify with him and his death.

Rom. 6:11
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

This is all I can say for now, your Thread is on a Prayer Wall, so.

Peace be still, let the power of the Holy Spirit overshadow you and bring you peace of Mind, cease from your labors and let Jesus give you rest.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The only solace I have found was in the doctorine of "everything is permissible" but everyone seems to be in agreement that this is untrue.
You are in a wonderful place. Just don't stay there too long. It gets uncomfortable. You are going through a Romans 7 type experience. Paul was a Pharisee, one of the best. Yet on commandment brought him undone. God's intent is to bring you to a place where you realise how incompetent you are to live the Christian life.

We get saved when we realise that we are helpless sinners who cannot pay for our sin. There is vastly more than forgiveness for sin. It is new life. God does not save us only from the penalty of sin. He also removes the sinner that produces the sin. That is our co-death with Christ as represented by water baptism. We die with Christ and we rise up to new life in Him. What do you do with a dead person? You bury them. That is the meaning of baptism.

Baptism confirms that we are dead. We are also raised together with Christ, to new life, not just a new set of rules. We are called to be humble. How is that possible? I tried and failed and complained to God. How can the leopard change his spots? God does not change us. He removes us and gives us Christ instead! Lord Jesus is now our humility, patience, peace, wisdom, love, joy, self control and everything else that God requires us to be.

Romans 7 finishes with a note of victory. Romans 8 is a great declaration of who we are in Christ and what it means in experience.

Get your focus off yourself. Fix your eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of your faith. You will be transformed.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0