✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Two related prayer requests

My girlfriend and I are both Christians, and we actively serve together in our church and community. We know that we want to get married, and I plan to propose in two weeks, but we are struggling to figure out when to get married. I graduate from college in December, and she next May. We've narrowed dates down to this August, this December, or next May. All have positives and negatives. August makes the most sense in our minds, but I fear it will make less sense in our parents'. So please pray for discernment in when to get married and how to approach the "when" with parents.

The second prayer request is for self control. When we decided that we wanted to marry each other, we noticed that the temptations to misbehave went up almost immediately. We are both committed to staying pure, and we have changed multiple habits in order to keep it that way. However, the temptation is still growing every day. It does not help that both of us have touch as our primary love language. So please pray for self control for both us.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two related prayer requests

My girlfriend and I are both Christians, and we actively serve together in our church and community. We know that we want to get married, and I plan to propose in two weeks, but we are struggling to figure out when to get married. I graduate from college in December, and she next May. We've narrowed dates down to this August, this December, or next May. All have positives and negatives. August makes the most sense in our minds, but I fear it will make less sense in our parents'. So please pray for discernment in when to get married and how to approach the "when" with parents.

The second prayer request is for self control. When we decided that we wanted to marry each other, we noticed that the temptations to misbehave went up almost immediately. We are both committed to staying pure, and we have changed multiple habits in order to keep it that way. However, the temptation is still growing every day. It does not help that both of us have touch as our primary love language. So please pray for self control for both us.
Praying for your life long love and devotion to one another.
Yeah wait. You waited this long stay true to the Lord.

I'm old fashioned. I asked my wife's dad for his daughter's hand in marriage. When I did I made another best friend and confidant for life.

May Almighty God Bless your union as husband and wife. Very excited for you!

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father, I pray they will change "touch as their primary love language."
I pray they will at least hear out their parents, who may have more knowledge, experience, and wisdom in setting a date for their marriage; and that they will realize that their marriage will effect their parents a lot, and possibly through the rest of their lives too. Lead them, Lord, in how to conduct their lives regarding setting this date and "language." Show them Proverbs 3:5-6 and Matthew 6:33 is the proper way to go. Amen.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! That is wonderful.

But remember the scripture is this:

Gen 2.24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

The parents are secondary (even though most LOOOOVVVVEEEE to be the ones calling the shots). It is what works best for you guys.

Actually, that is a VERY GOOD THING. And a good reason to make the date sooner rather than later.

Are you in any kind of pre-marital counseling yet? If not, please do so as soon as possible and you can discuss the specifics how to navigate those rough waters between now and then much better than here on an open internet forum. You may have to limit the amount and kind of touch you engage in.

But be GLAD that you have such strong desires. They are your friend.
Do not let them become the enemy. Remember, as David said:

Psalm 103:14
For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.

God did not design us to go on for months and years with unmet sexual needs. And as one former pastor said: "God does not call people to get engaged, rather He calls them to get married." So cut each other some slack as to those desires (and your self as well). And if you slip up, or more like WHEN you slip up, forgive each other and your selves. Believe me, if you both keep a positive (not judgemental/religious) attitude those slips may become treasured memories after you are married a few years.

Upvote 0

LastAcorn99

Sep 15, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟34,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It’s wonderful to know of your desire to seek your parents opinion as you decide on a date for your marriage and maintain a healthy boundary while dating. Know that I’ll be praying, asking the Lord to bless you and guide you both through this time. God’s best to you, friend!

Upvote 0