Prayer for Handling Bed Bugs in Complex Employment & Family, Mental & Physical Health Situations

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TLDR: I tried to be concise, just the facts, never mind the emotions at play etc, you can read between some lines too, there is a lot. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, I've numbered the paragraphs, maybe pick pieces to pray about and indicate the number if you reply, so together we can try to cover it? You will see I will be extremely busy for the next few days, so not sure what and when I will be able to respond, but prayers are greatly coveted and appreciated!!

1. I thought I would be starting the new year well, having made progress in discipline in various things in December. Now it comes, an issue of a different type I've had to deal with before (God's prepping for sure, though that was its own nightmare!), but coming at me from more sides.

2. My sister L, who has mental and physical health issues and uses a walker, has bedbugs. She has suspected for 2 months before I found one and got it checked on Monday. The only two people she has regular contact with are me and a guy friend D. Both me and her friend are employed by a friend of mine P, having the highest number of (paid) hours in taking care of my friend's mother N with dementia in her home (24/7 care).

3. I am essentially responsible for the precautions L and I, and now D, employment-wise, need to take in going to people's places.

4. My mother just told me L and I should not have come to the New Years gathering. I wanted to say something sooner to both her and P, but delayed to respect L's privacy/mental health and because I considered (hopefuly not gambled?) that I had built up trust with how I'd handled it before. But higher stress/guilt for me not to tell them. We both took precautions. If I'd framed it like being "sick" maybe it would have helped L understand? That it should have been either tell them first or don't go? I am her ride. "We've caught a bad bug!?" (Sense of humour is good resource sometimes!)

5. Parents take a largely hands-off approach. Welfare should have to deal with it. But then she would stand to lose all her books and movies since what preparations require leaves no extra space whatsoever. But my Dad built a box for storage outside three years ago which we are very grateful for. We have different taste, but I have my own book collection (and have had to store mine and hers in "the box" at different times in similar circumstances :(), so I understand. Two brothers live at home, they would likely be more sympathetic than parents, but their help probably off limits. Other siblings have families and live out of town.

6. It was easier last time when L kept herself more housebound between her and D's place. Though I'm very glad she is now in a somewhat better mental space, still depressed, but stretches seem shorter at a time? She recently made a specific decision for the Lord, was talking of baptism.

6. I'm also responsible for clearing out and readying L's small apartment, lots of laundry, about 8 large bookshelves to empty, probably rent a truck to take to a large storage box at my parents' place. But will be alot to haul by myself. Last time I had the help of a friend and his truck.

7. P has told me she won't give me time off to deal with this. I understand. She has 7 children, 8th is on the way this month. I will have to do the bulk of it before I go back to work Sunday at 9pm, since my time is largely chunked out Sun-Thurs.

8. Also L had picked tomorrow Jan 3 as her smoking quit date after a number of weeks already on Champix on health advice for recent breathing issues, as well as an operation she was supposed to have a couple years ago already.

9. And D's pregnant relative passed away Dec 31 under suspected terrible circumstances, causing him to miss his shift working with N and then New Years at my parents'. But he can't afford to lose more work.

10. L and I had also planned to do vet and doctor clinic stuff tomorrow too (L hurt her knee last Sat).

11. I've done my research a couple years back, so I know the drill, though I know there is always more to learn, and not all the info is readily available for specific detailed questions I have.

So lots going on, lots to do, lots of responsibility, lots to prioritize and handle in many spheres. Plenty of rocks and hard places, but at least all people of general goodwill. And a God who is BIGGER! Thank you in advance for prayers (and reading this far!), and happy new year everyone!!

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Beg bugs will die at approximately 50'C / 122'F. You may use clothes iron to kill those living in bed mattress.

Another effective way to kill them without using any pesticide is deny them the source of food which is you or pets, etc. Wrap and seal the bed mattress in plastic cover so they can't live in it. Isolate your bedframe from walls, use metal bedframe (avoid bedframes that has wood in it)

Don't cover the bed mattress with bedsheet, you must sleep direct on the plastic covers. You may use a blanket though but not the big ones.

If living in an apartment, seal your doors, install a door sweeper with good seal so that bed bugs from other rooms may not enter your apartment.

In one month, your room will be rid of all bed bugs! I figured this solution out when I had bed bug infestation.

Upvote 0

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your prayers Phoebe Ann and Aussie Pete! Does diatomaceous earth work better than vacuuming, since it seems it would be hard to do both well?

Timewerx, thank you for sharing what worked for you, I appreciate it. Unfortunately she spends more time on her fabric couch than bed, and she has so far only found them on the couch. She is thinking of using a bug bomb to try to save her couch, which she hasn't finished paying for. Which was a replacement for one she already had to get rid of for that reason 3 yrs ago. Not sure it can be done, can it hurt to try? May try the door sweeper and iron ideas..

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe research diatomaceous earth. It is non toxic and cheap and very effective at killing bed bugs if used correctly. The only thing is, it should not get anywhere near the eyes as they are so delicate. It wouldn't seem to hurt them, but in worst case scenarios could lead to cataracts, so no DE on pillows on sheets, and a mask with glasses when applying here and there. I will be praying for your issues.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
As a retired commercial pesticide applicator and having worked in this field, bed bugs are an enormous problem. They travel with the host, breed rapidly and hide in places you never think of. Baseboards, outlets, etc. To truly eliminate the problem you should contact a professional and get a few estimates since treatment prices vary. Often, more than one treatment is needed. Home remedies may help with what you see but chances of re-infestation is high.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TLDR: I tried to be concise, just the facts, never mind the emotions at play etc, you can read between some lines too, there is a lot. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, I've numbered the paragraphs, maybe pick pieces to pray about and indicate the number if you reply, so together we can try to cover it? You will see I will be extremely busy for the next few days, so not sure what and when I will be able to respond, but prayers are greatly coveted and appreciated!!

1. I thought I would be starting the new year well, having made progress in discipline in various things in December. Now it comes, an issue of a different type I've had to deal with before (God's prepping for sure, though that was its own nightmare!), but coming at me from more sides.

2. My sister L, who has mental and physical health issues and uses a walker, has bedbugs. She has suspected for 2 months before I found one and got it checked on Monday. The only two people she has regular contact with are me and a guy friend D. Both me and her friend are employed by a friend of mine P, having the highest number of (paid) hours in taking care of my friend's mother N with dementia in her home (24/7 care).

3. I am essentially responsible for the precautions L and I, and now D, employment-wise, need to take in going to people's places.

4. My mother just told me L and I should not have come to the New Years gathering. I wanted to say something sooner to both her and P, but delayed to respect L's privacy/mental health and because I considered (hopefuly not gambled?) that I had built up trust with how I'd handled it before. But higher stress/guilt for me not to tell them. We both took precautions. If I'd framed it like being "sick" maybe it would have helped L understand? That it should have been either tell them first or don't go? I am her ride. "We've caught a bad bug!?" (Sense of humour is good resource sometimes!)

5. Parents take a largely hands-off approach. Welfare should have to deal with it. But then she would stand to lose all her books and movies since what preparations require leaves no extra space whatsoever. But my Dad built a box for storage outside three years ago which we are very grateful for. We have different taste, but I have my own book collection (and have had to store mine and hers in "the box" at different times in similar circumstances :(), so I understand. Two brothers live at home, they would likely be more sympathetic than parents, but their help probably off limits. Other siblings have families and live out of town.

6. It was easier last time when L kept herself more housebound between her and D's place. Though I'm very glad she is now in a somewhat better mental space, still depressed, but stretches seem shorter at a time? She recently made a specific decision for the Lord, was talking of baptism.

6. I'm also responsible for clearing out and readying L's small apartment, lots of laundry, about 8 large bookshelves to empty, probably rent a truck to take to a large storage box at my parents' place. But will be alot to haul by myself. Last time I had the help of a friend and his truck.

7. P has told me she won't give me time off to deal with this. I understand. She has 7 children, 8th is on the way this month. I will have to do the bulk of it before I go back to work Sunday at 9pm, since my time is largely chunked out Sun-Thurs.

8. Also L had picked tomorrow Jan 3 as her smoking quit date after a number of weeks already on Champix on health advice for recent breathing issues, as well as an operation she was supposed to have a couple years ago already.

9. And D's pregnant relative passed away Dec 31 under suspected terrible circumstances, causing him to miss his shift working with N and then New Years at my parents'. But he can't afford to lose more work.

10. L and I had also planned to do vet and doctor clinic stuff tomorrow too (L hurt her knee last Sat).

11. I've done my research a couple years back, so I know the drill, though I know there is always more to learn, and not all the info is readily available for specific detailed questions I have.

So lots going on, lots to do, lots of responsibility, lots to prioritize and handle in many spheres. Plenty of rocks and hard places, but at least all people of general goodwill. And a God who is BIGGER! Thank you in advance for prayers (and reading this far!), and happy new year everyone!!
I owned a condo in a building infested with bedbugs. They can be eliminated with pesticides. Cleaning the bed, using a plastic mattress cover, then covering the bed legs with Vaseline might work. The bugs can not get back to the cleaned bed as they can not cross the Vaseline layer.

• Informative
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. Here is something that worked for me with an infestation of fleas. IF you have some below freezing temperatures outside, open all the windows, turn off the heater, turn on some fans and let that frigid air come in, stay for at least a few hours, and kill all the bugs.

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks to everyone for your prayers, encouragement and thoughts. God has been our help throughout this process. Here is an update...

I was set to rent the uHaul and called my Dad to open the Box for me. But when he heard nobody was helping me move out the 80-ish garbage bags of books and movies, he secured a work truck and my 2 brothers' help and what probably would have have taken me a couple days was done in about 3 hours for 2 trips. Though having such a collection of entertainment as the way to spend time is pure anathema to him and he threatened to haul them to the dump, but of course he didn't. If my Mum had anything to say about it I haven't heard it.

Was up 24 hours preparing, plus afterwards, including doing laundry up and down 4 flights of stairs all throughout. God is definitely my sustainer! I went to do more laundry yesterday and the dryer was out of order - very thankful this didn't happen earlier!

D and I are doing our due diligence at work with precautions and D seems more or less back in P's good graces at least for now, and still getting the hours he needs.

The caretaker did a double-take on seeing how much furniture and clutter was (still) in the suite on Friday, even after we had bagged everything and still followed virtually all instructions to a T. Instructions only given verbally - the required 24 hour notice was never given, though I talked with the exterminators beforehand at length to do my best to ensure we were doing everything we needed to. Possibly even this was to our advantage, since there was doubt the suite might be able to be treated at all, but if not the caretaker would not want to be seen as in the wrong on this. (He said he had asked his wife to put the notice under the door.)

Exterminator managed to do all that was needed except flip the couch to spray it, but since that was the bulk of the infestation she advised to get rid of it and thankfully L agreed, though she was attached and still owes money on it to parents. Even though the bugs had been there "months" it was thankfully still limited to couch and bed, which were both L's domain and visitors never sat on. Which is probably the main thing God used to ensure things wouldn't spread in the time we didn't know about it (L thought bugs were coming after old spilt juice!), thankfully nothing has been found anywhere else. Though of course we are not in the clear until the treatment process has run its course, but even this seems like it will be a quicker process than in the past.

While it can be tempting to cry or get angry over spilt milk or juice, He is teaching me that He has His purposes in these things; they are not useless, but opportunities for character training for Kingdom life. (Is this also a reason for the creation of mosquitoes?) Rather cry out to Him in the time of need, and He is faithful to answer! And in looking back, look back to the answer and our good God, and to the learning, not the difficulty!

Upvote 0