Faith
SDA
Samuele Bacchiocchi, Ph. D.,
Retired Professor of Theology and Church History, Andrews University
4990 Appian Way
Berrien Springs, MI 49103

"UNEXPECTED COLON CANCER DIAGNOSIS:
REMEMBER ME IN YOUR PRAYERS

January 31, 2007, was a wake up call for me. Our family doctor recommended that I undergo a test procedure called colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy, to find out why I was having problems with my digestion. The colonoscopy checks the entire colon while the upper GI endoscopy checks the upper part of the GI track, especially the stomach.

The results were both positive and negative. No problems were found in my stomach, but a cancer formation was found in my colon. The surgeon wanted to remove the cancer immediately, because it is fast deteriorating. Initially I resisted the proposal because this would force me to cancel, not only of my speaking engagements in Columbia, SC on February 2-3 and Arvada, CO on February 9-10, but also of my trip to London, England, where I was scheduled to speak at three rallies from February 16 to March 3, 2007. But, after further consultation with the surgeon, my wife and I decided to cancel my speaking engagements to London, England, in order to schedule the surgery on February 20, 2007.

The recovery process will take about a month. This means that I had to reschedule several speaking engagements and will accept fewer invitations in the near future. I need to give time to my body to heal and get strong, before going back to my regular worldwide itinerant ministry.

The diagnosis of colon cancer took our family by surprise because I have enjoyed good health during the past 69 years of my life. We celebrated my birthday with a joyful family reunion on January 29, without ever imagining that two days later I would be diagnosed with colon cancer. My only recent complaint was a slow digestion, which did not really slow me down. Last year I spoke at 48 weekend rallies.

But the cancer diagnosis and forthcoming surgery, are a wake up call for me. I sense that the Lord is telling me: "Sam, you need to slow down and change your life-style." This is what I intend to do. With the guidance of our daughter Loretta, who teaches nursing at the Florida Hospital School of Nursing, I am endeavoring to boost my immune system through a special diet, natural products, exercise, and rest. I am determined to put forth my best efforts trusting in God for the rest.

The Pastor and the Elders of the Columbia First SDA Church in South Carolina, prayed and anointed me on Saturday night after the seminar. Many others have reassured me of their prayers. Please remember me in your prayers. It is comforting for me to know that I belong to a community of faith where I can count on the prayers and encouragement of fellow believers around the world. Your prayers at this critical time are greatly appreciated.

If you have experienced colon cancer in the past and have learned some valuable lessons, feel free to share with me any helpful guidance. I will gratefully receive any information that could help me at this time in the healing process. Thank you for considering my request"

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cliff2,

I have been torn about Dr.Samuele Bacchiocchi and his writings as he has done some excellent studies which I have quoted extensively as they are excellent, but he is a scholar and (like me) will bulldoze through with a methodology that questions very harshly. So I went to my father and asked what he thought of his writings, and he said that he is a longtime friend of Dr.Samuele Bacchiocchi (you could have dropped me with a feather) and that they are old classmates, and he is a solid christian and a man who seeks Gods truth, as he always taught me. I will keep him in my prayers, and my father also had colon cancer and underwent the surgery, so I will pass this on to him so he can pray for him and send him encoragement....

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
I have been torn about Dr.Samuele Bacchiocchi and his writings as he has done some excellent studies which I have quoted extensively as they are excellent, but he is a scholar and (like me) will bulldoze through with a methodology that questions very harshly. So I went to my father and asked what he thought of his writings, and he said that he is a longtime friend of Dr.Samuele Bacchiocchi (you could have dropped me with a feather) and that they are old classmates, and he is a solid christian and a man who seeks Gods truth, as he always taught me. I will keep him in my prayers, and my father also had colon cancer and underwent the surgery, so I will pass this on to him so he can pray for him and send him encoragement....(reddogs)

Thanks, that is a good story.

Dr Sam was out here in Australia a few months ago towards the end of last year.

I went and heard him. He is the type of guy that one either loves or hates.

Always enjoy listening to him.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sam B was just here this past weekend a few miles from my house speaking at one of the churches defending the Sabbath. I didn't go to hear him, but I sat through many a class of his during my time at Andrews University. I still have all his books for those classes (required reading!). Resale on them wasn't too good so I kept them.

While I do not share the same conclusions as SB on several different issues, I would never wish him illness. I will pray for him as well.

freeindeed

Upvote 0