Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's Will Be Done

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."Colossians 3:16

God's Word is a record of prayer - of praying people and their achievements. No one can read the instances, commands, and examples of statements that concern themselves with prayer, without realizing that the cause of God and the success of His work in this world are committed to prayer. People who don't , have never been used by Him.

A reverence for God's holy name is closely related to a high regard for His Word. This hallowing of God's name, the ability to do His will on earth as it is done in heaven, and the establishment and glory of God's kingdom are as much involved in prayer as when Jesus taught men the Lord's Prayer.

Dear God, I realize that much of the successes in my life depend on my prayers to You and meditating on Your Word. Thank You for the gift of prayer. Amen.

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Midway Between God and Man

"Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;" Hebrews 5:7

True prayer links itself to the will of God and runs in streams of compassion and intercession for all people.

As Jesus Christ died for all people so prayer gives itself for the benefit of all people. Like our Mediator between God and people, he who prays stands midway between God and people.

Prayer holds the movements of believers in its grasp and embraces the destinies of believers for all eternity. It touches heaven and moves earth. Prayer connects earth to heaven and brings heaven in close contact with earth.

Father, thank You that true praying links us to Your will. Thank You that it can touch heaven and move earth. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's Recipe for Prayer

"Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions." Hebrews 11:33

Under certain circumstances, persistent prayer can bring additional assurance of God's promises. There would seem to be the capacity in prayer for going beyond the Word, beyond His promise, and into the very presence of God Himself.

Jacob wrestled, not so much with a promise as with the Promiser. We must take hold of the Promiser, or else the promise is without purpose. Prayer may well be defined as the force that Vitalizes and energizes the Word of God, by taking hold of God Himself. By taking hold of the Promiser, prayer releases the personal promise.

God, thank You that You are always faithful to Your promises. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." Isaiah 55:6, 7

As there is no difference in the kind of sin people find themselves in, everybody needs the saving grace of God.

Further, as this saving grace is obtained only in answer to prayer, people are therefore called to pray because of their very needs.

It is a privilege for every follower of God to pray, but it is also a duty for him to call upon God. God shows mercy to all sinners. All are welcome to approach the throne of grace with all their wants and needs; with all their sins and burdens.

Father God, thank You for the great privilege of prayer. But I also know that as a Christian it is my duty to pray. Thank You for Your mercy and grace. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4

The Word of God is put into action by the process and practice of prayer. If it it written in our hearts, it will form an out-flowing current of prayer.

Promises, stored in the heart, are the fuel from which prayer receives life and warmth. Just as a coal which has been stored in the earth gives us comfort on stormy days and cold nights, the Word of God stored in our hearts is the food by which prayer is nourished and strengthened.

Prayer, like people, cannot live by bread alone.

Dear heavenly Father, I know that I cannot live on bread alone, but rather on every word that comes from Your mouth. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12

Prayer joined with loving obedience is the answer to all ends and all things. Prayer joined to the Word of God makes all God's gifts sacred.

Prayer is not simply to receive things from God, but to make those things holy that have already been received from Him. It is not merely to receive a blessing, but also to be able to give a blessing. Prayer makes common things holy and worldly things sacred.

Prayer receives things from God with thanksgiving and hallows them with thankful hearts and devoted service.

Almighty God, I thank You that prayer and loving obedience are the answer to all things in this life. I praise You for all the blessings received from Your hand. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12

Prayer joined with loving obedience is the answer to all ends and all things. Prayer joined to the Word of God makes all God's gifts sacred.

Prayer is not simply to receive things from God, but to make those things holy that have already been received from Him. It is not merely to receive a blessing, but also to be able to give a blessing. Prayer makes common things holy and worldly things sacred.

Prayer receives things from God with thanksgiving and hallows them with thankful hearts and devoted service.

Almighty God, I thank You that prayer and loving obedience are the answer to all things in this life. I praise You for all the blessings received from Your hand. Amen.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
God's Will Be Done

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."Colossians 3:16

God's Word is a record of prayer - of praying people and their achievements. No one can read the instances, commands, and examples of statements that concern themselves with prayer, without realizing that the cause of God and the success of His work in this world are committed to prayer. People who don't , have never been used by Him.

I agree that prayer is most important in fact prayer is the key in the hand of faith that unlocks heavens storehouse so God can pour out mountains of blessings on His waiting children.

One principle about prayer which really encourages me is when we look at those who spoke to God or an angel they prayed earnestly, sometimes for days and mostly all night prayer sessions with God before something evident would happen. Moses spent 40 days with God before He revealed Himself. Not only is prayer important in this context but fasting also. Daniel prayed and fasted 21 days before Gabriel came to him. I realize that God did send angels in some cases without prayer being given, like Balaam, or Saul's conversion, but in most cases prayer was the key that brought great answers, and even meetings with angels. Even when Jesus prayed in Gethsemane, or the wilderness after His baptism, angels came to him to strengthen Him, or when the pharisees came to arrest Him they all fell down because Jesus glory flashed for an instant. All this is directly tied to prayer.

The major event that took place after much confession fasting and prayer was the ten days before pentecost. As Jesus ascended into heaven his disciples were still arguing about who would be greatest. It took all of ten days for the disciples to humble themselves before God could trust them with that kind of power. Like the latter rain it will take much confession, and heart searching, even fasting before the full measure will be poured out despite the fact that the sprinkles are happening today.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer." 1 Timothy 4:4. 5.

God's good gifts are holy, not only because of God's creative power, but because they are made holy by prayer.

Doing God's will is essential for effectual praying. You may ask, how are we to know what God's will is? The answer is by studying His Word and by letting the Word dwell in us richly.

It shows us that we cannot only do the will of God externally, but from the heart, without holding back from the intimate presence of the Lord.

Dear Father, by meditating on Your Word and keeping it in our hearts, we can know what Your will is. I want to be in Your presence constantly, so that I can do Your will. Amen.

Reactions: masmpg
Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Prayer is definitely a necessity for everyone!

I use to attend 12 step NA meetings just for kicks. Many in the meetings would constantly ask "how do I know what is God's will for me?" I was constantly telling them that the bible is the word of God and as we read it it is as if God is speaking to us, and as we pray we can know God's will be done because He promised it would be. . . I got warned many times for supporting the bible and sharing bible truth at these supposed "Christian" meetings. The twelve step program started out Christian, but they are far from that now! All I was doing was stating the obvious. If the bible is God's word, as we read it he is telling us what to do, and it is His will for us to do it.

I use to work at a recovery home and was told to make a bible study out of the first four steps of the twelve step program. What a project that was. I started out casually working on it in my spare time, but my boss told me to work on it full time. It took six months to complete. This was in the mid nineties and they are still using that outline today. I wish I would have kept a copy for myself. Since then the Cherokee house has changed hands a couple times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God." Colossians 4:12

To know God's will in prayer, we must be filled with God's Spirit, who intercedes for the saints.

To be filled with God's Spirit and to be filled with God's Word, is to know God's will. It is to be put in such a state of heart that it will enable us to read and correctly interpret the purposes of the eternal.

Filling our hearts with the Word and the Spirit gives us an insight into the will of the Father. It enables us to discern His will and to make it the guide and compass of our lives.

God, my prayer today is to be filled with Your Spirit, so that I may know Your will. You are the guide and compass of my life. Amen.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Romans 15:13

Prayer has far-reaching and worldwide effects. Prayer goes everywhere and lays its hand upon everything. There is a universality in prayer.

Prayer is individual in its application and benefits, but it is general and worldwide at the same time in its good influences. Prayer blesses man in every event of life, provides help in every emergency, and gives comfort in every trouble.

There is no experience that people need to face without prayer as a helper, a comforter, and a guide.

Father, thank You for the great gift of prayer. We can face ever situation in life through our prayers to You. You will answer us and comfort us. Amen.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
"Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God." Colossians 4:12

To know God's will in prayer, we must be filled with God's Spirit, who intercedes for the saints.

To be filled with God's Spirit and to be filled with God's Word, is to know God's will. It is to be put in such a state of heart that it will enable us to read and correctly interpret the purposes of the eternal.

Filling our hearts with the Word and the Spirit gives us an insight into the will of the Father. It enables us to discern His will and to make it the guide and compass of our lives.

God, my prayer today is to be filled with Your Spirit, so that I may know Your will. You are the guide and compass of my life. Amen.

I agree with what you say here, but have a hard time with the conviction the Holy Spirit sends to ALL. The Comforter draws us to God. While we are first being drawn to God we do not have the Spirit indwelling, at least not until we invite Him in and endeavor to keep Him there through the prayer of faith, study, and sometimes fasting. The way Paul describes it is that there are two spirits working when he explains it like this Romans:8:16: "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:" Notice the capitol S and the lower case s in this verse. The Holy Spirit beareth witness with our "breath of life spirit" that we are the children of God. Until we invite Him in He knocks at the door until we open it and let Him in??? Just like revelation 3:20???

Paul Tells us who can receive the Holy Spirit in Acts:5:32: "And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him." God will only give His Spirit to those who obey Him. BUT we also read what Jesus said in Luke:11:13: "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" I have done a lot of studying on this subject and my hands are up. The workings of the Holy Spirit are God's doings. He moves whomever He will. This is a very hard subject, because God uses His Spirit in people that are not converted, like Balaam, even though the donkey spoke the curse from Balaam was turned into a blessing at first. What do you think? I am not arguing here just expanding on what you stated, and am very interested to learn more on this issue.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you say here, but have a hard time with the conviction the Holy Spirit sends to ALL. The Comforter draws us to God. While we are first being drawn to God we do not have the Spirit indwelling, at least not until we invite Him in and endeavor to keep Him there through the prayer of faith, study, and sometimes fasting. The way Paul describes it is that there are two spirits working when he explains it like this Romans:8:16: "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:" Notice the capitol S and the lower case s in this verse. The Holy Spirit beareth witness with our "breath of life spirit" that we are the children of God. Until we invite Him in He knocks at the door until we open it and let Him in??? Just like revelation 3:20???

Paul Tells us who can receive the Holy Spirit in Acts:5:32: "And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him." God will only give His Spirit to those who obey Him. BUT we also read what Jesus said in Luke:11:13: "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" I have done a lot of studying on this subject and my hands are up. The workings of the Holy Spirit are God's doings. He moves whomever He will. This is a very hard subject, because God uses His Spirit in people that are not converted, like Balaam, even though the donkey spoke the curse from Balaam was turned into a blessing at first. What do you think? I am not arguing here just expanding on what you stated, and am very interested to learn more on this issue.
I think of it as the Spirit draws us but not indwells before we ask, if that makes sense? The reason why I feel that way is because in my life, I've felt the Spirit leading me at times, even speaking to me in a sense, long before I was converted.

• Agree
Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I agree, The Holy Spirit "woos" us, in fact conversion, according to Sister White is a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. But there is also the "measure of the Spirit". Some receive more of the Spirit than others. Maybe it is stronger faith, but all those throughout the bible that spoke to an angel, or like Moses to God had to prepare extensively before the Holy Spirit came to them, or an angel, or like in Moses case God came to Him and Moses was privileged to see His backside, but only after 40 days of fasting. Daniel fasted and prayed for 21 days before Gabriel came to Him. Not arguing here just expanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 1:15-19-
And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

Just something to consider.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Consider that God is speaking to an apostate people, not an unconverted people.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

By scriptural authority, prayer may be divided into the petition of faith and that of submission. The prayer of faith is based on the written Word, for it inevitably receives its answer - the very thing for which it prays.

The prayer of submission is without a definite word of promise, so to speak. But it takes hold of God with a remorseful spirit and pleads with Him for that which the soul desires.

Abraham had no definite promise that God would spare Sodom. But the devoted leader gained his plea with God when he interceded for the Israelites with persistent prayers and many tears.

Father, through persistent prayers and many tears Abraham interceded for the Israelites and gained his plea. Thank You, that You always hear our prayers and will answer them in good time. Amen.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

Another one to consider from Solomon Ecclesiastes:12:13: "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

By scriptural authority, prayer may be divided into the petition of faith and that of submission. The prayer of faith is based on the written Word, for it inevitably receives its answer - the very thing for which it prays.

Father, through persistent prayers and many tears Abraham interceded for the Israelites and gained his plea. Thank You, that You always hear our prayers and will answer them in good time. Amen.

The prayer of faith is the hard part. How many of us actually know by faith, not just believe that what we ask for God WILL provide it. Jesus said in Mark:11:24: one of my favorite memory verses "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." And David wrote in Psalms:145:16: "Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing." we are talking desire here not just necessity. The catch is found here a couple verses later Psalms:145:18: "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth". Sister White says in DA "The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us “exceeding abundantly,” “according to the riches of His glory,” and “the working of His mighty power.” Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19. { DA 200.4} This should be our experience, especially when we are studying with those who really want to know truth. The greatest desire of God is our conversion, so when we pray that others may receive blessings from our testimonies and teachings we must KNOW by faith that they are.

I love how George Muller's life testifies of all knowing faith, not just belief. Many water down faith with the word belief.

Upvote 0