Prayer book with Typica and the Divine Liturgy?

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Strangely enough - I have one in English and Slavonic :)

Old Orthodox Prayer Book from Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity of Christ [ Old Rite] Erie

Typica in that book follows on seamlessly from 9th Hour - you would need to read it carefully to understand how it's been set up there - but it's all there.

My copy is the Second Edition - published in 2001, ISBN 0-9617062-I-X

Edited to add ----I HATE the way this site thinks it knows better than me what I type !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Old Orthodox Prayer Book from Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity of Christ [ Old Rite] Erie

Typical in that book follows on seamlessly from 9th Hour - you would need to read it carefully to understand how it's been set up there - but it's all there.

Is this the book? Also, what is Old Rite?

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the Old Rite is the more ancient Rite that Russia practiced before they adopted a more Byzantine style. many broke communion because they did not like the change (there is a long history about this).

Is it okay to use the Old Rite book?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Typica in that book follows on seamlessly from 9th Hour - you would need to read it carefully to understand how it's been set up there - but it's all there.

Edited to add ----I HATE the way this site thinks it knows better than me what I type !!
Anhelyna, is that book bound well, would you say?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Anhelyna, is that book bound well, would you say?

Mine is a treasured book - beautifully bound and presented and very very usable - even for a Greek Catholic :D
There are things in it that there are not in English in the UGCC - more traditional things -Canon before Communion etc.

I'll admit to being a mixture - I'm influenced in many things by my GodPapa who himself was influenced by a priest with Old Believer links [ I'm not expressing that well I know ]

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mine is a treasured book - beautifully bound and presented and very very usable - even for a Greek Catholic :D
There are things in it that there are not in English in the UGCC - more traditional things -Canon before Communion etc.

I'll admit to being a mixture - I'm influenced in many things by my GodPapa who himself was influenced by a priest with Old Believer links [ I'm not expressing that well I know ]
Thanks. The version they're selling at present looks nice and fairly lasting, but it's hard to tell if you can't see the binding.

I'm not some kind of binding-zealot, but I'd like a prayerbook to last a couple decades, at least.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is what I have[Drevnepravoslavnyi molitvennik] =: Old Orthodox prayer book: 9780961706203: Amazon.com: Books

BUT - I did not pay that price for it . The UK version of Amazon says out of print. I bought mine from Eastern Christian Supply Co from Etna - but if you can make their search thingy work - congratulations :D

I gather there is a paper back version - but I would wonder how that would last in daily use
Aha - I found the hardcover in Erie and on the site you mentioned. I guess my remaining question is "is it sewn in signatures?"

Upvote 0