Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I wanted to put something on your heart today that perhaps you may not even have really thought about it?
It is something so very important and yet you don't often hear because it's hardly mentioned.

I am speaking of regular intercessory prayer for your minister.

Your Pastor is under tremendous stress, I don't care who he is. It is simple, If he is pastoring a church or is a chaplain for a certain facility or both, He is under enormous pressure 24/7

Many people come to church and they get spiritually fed Sunday after Sunday, and then they go merrily on their way home and never stop to consider the warfare that their pastor goes through to bring these messages and perform all the duties that is required of him.
quietly he goes about his duties and does his rounds.
Always smiling and showing love.

He visits those in the hospital regularly
"even when he is sick" He is still on duty. --24/7

He is a counselor and is up at 2 am talking to a distressed person or family, Maybe meeting in town at midnight for coffee too share hope with someone suicidal or hurting.

His cell phone is his life line and he takes every single call and every text.
[Even on his deer stand, When he gets to go.]

He loves his congregation with all of his heart and he prays earnestly for God to speak through him as he stands weekly before these precious people that he loves with all of his heart and delivers what he always hopes to be a worthy sermon that will inspire.

He is a warrior, Going to battle against the unseen powers and principalities fighting all through the week that try to tear apart the ministry and steal his study time.
The very time he needs to study and mentally prepare his message.
He spends as much time as he can on his knees praying for people, The church, The community and country.

let me ask you something?

Who does your pastor go to when he is hurting?
Who does a pastor or chaplain go see when he needs some encouragement?
A recent poll shows that 70% of pastors are facing depression.
70% do not have someone they consider a close friend and 40% report serious conflict with a parishioner at least once a month.

He is always in the spot light and everyone in the community is watching him, So when something drastic happens in his life or family, People seem to think "well he is the pastor" So he has a direct link to God or something and he doesn't hurt like everyone else?

WRONG

Pastors and chaplains are simply human, Humans that have a desire and calling to minister God's Word placed upon their hearts.
They hurt just like you do, They make mistakes, They misunderstand sometimes, and they have feelings just like you do.
Yes even some sins to contend with themselves.

Please pray for your pastor whoever he is, because he needs this above all else.
Build him up in the Lord and surround him with prayer warriors and armor bearers.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Please pray for your pastor whoever he is, because he needs this above all else.
Build him up in the Lord and surround him with prayer warriors and armor bearers.

I agree and your heart is in a right place to want to encourage prayer for everyone's pastor. I do wish however that believers should re-look at just what a pastors ministry should be. Personally I don't think a pastoral ministry should be considered one who has to do be everywhere to do all you mentioned. The whole body needs to consider themselves as ones who should visit people and encourage those who are in need of encouraging as well. Plus other things too.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree and your heart is in a right place to want to encourage prayer for everyone's pastor. I do wish however that believers should re-look at just what a pastors ministry should be. Personally I don't think a pastoral ministry should be considered one who has to do be everywhere to do all you mentioned. The whole body needs to consider themselves as ones who should visit people and encourage those who are in need of encouraging as well. Plus other things too.
I agree brother, But there isn't anyone else willing to do so for a lot of churches. They leave it all on the pastor.
Now I am not speaking of my personal church because I do this work voluntarily I and live for it.
My church goes above and beyond as their hearts are for helping hurting people as well as mine.
That is why we have such a powerful small home church because it is full of the love of Jesus Christ and everyone's always anxious to pray for and minister to others at walmart and hospitals or wherever they go and Praise God because our praise list on Sunday mornings is usually longer than our prayer request.
I am seeing many pastors burned out and it is because they are carrying all the burdens and it should be the whole congregation visiting the sick, Going to jails and nursing homes.
The great commision is for everyone :]

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to put something on your heart today that perhaps you may not even have really thought about it?
It is something so very important and yet you don't often hear because it's hardly mentioned.

Your Pastor is under tremendous stress, I don't care who he is. It is simple, If he is pastoring a church or is a chaplain for a certain facility or both, He is under enormous pressure 24/7

Many people come to church and they get spiritually fed Sunday after Sunday, and then they go merrily on their way home and never stop to consider the warfare that their pastor goes through to bring these messages and perform all the duties that is required of him.

He is a counselor and is up at 2 am talking to a distressed person or family, Maybe meeting in town at midnight for coffee too share hope with someone suicidal or hurting.

He loves his congregation with all of his heart and he prays earnestly for God to speak through him as he stands weekly before these precious people that he loves with all of his heart and delivers what he always hopes to be a worthy sermon that will inspire.

He is a warrior, Going to battle against the unseen powers and principalities fighting all through the week that try to tear apart the ministry and steal his study time.
He spends as much time as he can on his knees praying for people, The church, The community and country.

70% do not have someone they consider a close friend and 40% report serious conflict with a parishioner at least once a month.

He is always in the spot light and everyone in the community is watching him, So when something drastic happens in his life or family, People seem to think "well he is the pastor" So he has a direct link to God or something and he doesn't hurt like everyone else?

WRONG

Pastors and chaplains are simply human, Humans that have a desire and calling to minister God's Word placed upon their hearts.
They hurt just like you do, They make mistakes, They misunderstand sometimes, and they have feelings just like you do.

Thanks for the reminder, Scotty. I do keep my pastor (and you) in my daily prayers.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coming from a background with pastors in my family and extended family I was more aware of their real ‘Job’ than a lot of my friends. Some people are quite shocked to discover that you’re in fact human and middle of the night calls and such do have an effect on you.

Getting older I’ve felt privileged when some of these people have confided in me their own troubles and dilemmas. I felt quite touched that these people I hold up as a great source of advice on spiritual matters actually considered my input on spiritual matters to have value to them.

I think one of the nice things we can do for pastors is to invite them to lunch/dinner. (With their spouse if they have one). They may not always be in a position to open up (it’s kind of difficult within your own flock at times) but they get a little TLC and appreciation, and the rest from having to prepare their own meal.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the reminder, Scotty. I do keep my pastor (and you) in my daily prayers.
Thank you so much. It blesses me to see prayer warriors like you lifting others up. The prayer of the righteous availeth much :)

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Coming from a background with pastors in my family and extended family I was more aware of their real ‘Job’ than a lot of my friends. Some people are quite shocked to discover that you’re in fact human and middle of the night calls and such do have an effect on you.

Getting older I’ve felt privileged when some of these people have confided in me their own troubles and dilemmas. I felt quite touched that these people I hold up as a great source of advice on spiritual matters actually considered my input on spiritual matters to have value to them.

I think one of the nice things we can do for pastors is to invite them to lunch/dinner. (With their spouse if they have one). They may not always be in a position to open up (it’s kind of difficult within your own flock at times) but they get a little TLC and appreciation, and the rest from having to prepare their own meal.
Us single ones REALLY appreciate a home cooked meal.. lol It is wonderful that they are comfortable enough to confide in you the stress in their lives.
It builds up and on occasion it becomes more than some can handle.
Having a mentor is paramount to starting a ministry, But when they are gone it is hard to find others when you are so busy and you know they are as well.
Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Us single ones REALLY appreciate a home cooked meal.. lol It is wonderful that they are comfortable enough to confide in you the stress in their lives.
It builds up and on occasion it becomes more than some can handle.
Having a mentor is paramount to starting a ministry, But when they are gone it is hard to find others when you are so busy and you know they are as well.
Bless you

A meal is just such a simple gesture but it means so much.

The other thing is I think we should put extra effort into our single pastors. Because a married pastor has the love and support of their spouse (we hope) to help them through the rockier times. Our single pastors don’t and have one less form of support, and no one to share chores with either, from a practical standpoint. (I never judge our vicar for never dusting regularly, he opens his home 24/7 even on his ‘rest’ day, one day I’ll just do it when I have coffee instead )

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might not be able to change this for ones who have become this way. But I think ones not yet pastors can learn from this, and prepare prayerfully and by God's word so they do not get into such things. 1 Timothy 3:1-10 can feed us how a person needs to be qualified, just to be considered to "take care of the church of God". A person first learns how to take care of oneself in relating with and submission to God, so then the person can stay with doing what God has the person doing, not allowing forces to stress the person away from God and how Jesus guarantees us "rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-30)

But be an example of how to be taken care of by God > this is part of the basic pastoral ministry >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Ones let themselves get overextended as they try to get into controlling other people and property and finances. But this lording over can get one away from Jesus Christ's rest and personal guiding and mentoring.

Personally I don't think a pastoral ministry should be considered one who has to do be everywhere to do all you mentioned. The whole body needs to consider themselves as ones who should visit people and encourage those who are in need of encouraging as well. Plus other things too.
I personally understand that the pulpit pastor needs to be an example of how all of us care for one another and grow in Jesus so we do better in this. Plus, in a sound group the pastor has people who are examples to the pastor, ones who have matured more than the pastor has, and these mature ones also labor among the ones of the group.

But there isn't anyone else willing to do so for a lot of churches. They leave it all on the pastor.
So, ones might not change how things are already like this, but I think this is a fair warning to not allow a group to get you into their church as their pastor if this is how they do things. Make sure a church you consider is sound, with senior role model examples who watch out for the group and for the pastor. Make sure there is authority in place to make sure no one wrong takes over and tries to boss and pressure the pastor.

Yes, you might preach and minister to an unsound church, but I would not contract with them until and unless they are obviously obeying your message. And then don't go along with however anyone tries to change things back.

The pastor's job is first prayer and ministry of the word, I understand. And anyone who wants to talk with the pastor can first be expected to listen to the pastor's messages and be ready to apply them to whatever the person wants counseling about.

I am seeing many pastors burned out and it is because they are carrying all the burdens and it should be the whole congregation visiting the sick, Going to jails and nursing homes.
The great commision is for everyone :]
Again, this can be a lesson for ones who are considering pastoring, though ones already in abuse situations might not change to be the wiser and make changes.

Another item > I am concerned how a number of seniors have a way of just disappearing from churches, even after they have done all they have done and given all they have. When they get out of commission, they just get left home or wherever, when they could need a full worship service like everyone else. So, I consider a Christian group can arrange for them to come, or for a group to bring a service to their home or wherever they are being cared for. So, it might be wise to determine how a church is relating with ones who get older and have not been in church.

If seniors have been mature role models, now they are more mature, so they are a major resource for ministering. So, leaving them out is not what I would expect to be done to such essential people. But in case a church is more of a cultural social worldly group, then the older ones maybe have not really matured to be so essential.

So, I would say make sure the mature genuine examples are ministering, however this works without abusing them.

Bless you
So, this can mean make sure you do not put all your eggs into one basket with only one person. If you are going to pastor, take responsibility that you have the right people to support you, and you know how to trust things to other people who have authority and respect. Make sure you are moving into a sound situation. Do not be unequally yoked with ones not functioning in Jesus. With God, you can expect this, how He will provide if He is committed to you being a pastor . . . I would say.

Make sure you move with how God is committed, "and you will find rest for your souls" (in Matthew 11:28-30, with Colossians 3:15).

a married pastor has the love and support of their spouse (we hope) to help them through the rockier times.
1 Timothy 3:1-10, to me means a pastoral candidate has a spouse and they have learned at home how to do well in marriage and bringing up their children so they now can help other marriages and single people to do well in family caring and sharing. And because they have been proven in this, now they are ordained as our public example of how to take care of God's people in our Father's family caring and sharing way. Because this is what is possible with God, and therefore what His word says to do.

But ones are taking shortcuts, only teaching people in seminaries so they can fill pulpits. So, I would advise, make sure you have been prepared by God so you know what you are doing, and you are an example of how to learn from Jesus and do how He guides us with "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

Be strong as His example in the basics of how we all are called to love >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

"without complaining and disputing" (in Philippians 2:13-16)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Marriage can be the seminary for learning this, your research laboratory for making breakthrough discoveries in how to love.

So, pray this.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

WRONG

Prayed and will continue to pray for you and our pastors. We all needed to read and take heart of what you wrote. Also get in gear and be partners and not pew stuffers.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I realize that I am blessed beyond measure and I do not have the problems that many pastors do. I have the greatest secretary [ I have to say this as she is on CF ;)] LOL
No she really is the greatest. :)
I have it made and that is a fact! I consider it a blessing to preach to such a wonderful group that is so dedicated and the fact that God can even use a man like me is beyond me? But I do love it.

I put the post on here because so many of my fellow brethren in the pastorate are suffering because they are left to do it all by themselves and some do not even receive a thank you for the funerals and marriages and all that they do, things they do just become expected of them.
I have felt a sting in my heart for them lately and am saddened.
So please pray them up and make sure they have support. Maybe get a visiting pastor to stop in and let yours have a Sunday off to take his wife on a small trip or something?
Perhaps take up a love offering and buy them a dinner or something.
IDK there are a thousand things to do but let the man know that he is loved and appreciated :]

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize that I am blessed beyond measure and I do not have the problems that many pastors do. I have the greatest secretary [ I have to say this as she is on CF ;)] LOL
No she really is the greatest. :)
I have it made and that is a fact! I consider it a blessing to preach to such a wonderful group that is so dedicated and the fact that God can even use a man like me is beyond me? But I do love it.

I put the post on here because so many of my fellow brethren in the pastorate are suffering because they are left to do it all by themselves and some do not even receive a thank you for the funerals and marriages and all that they do, things they do just become expected of them.
I have felt a sting in my heart for them lately and am saddened.
So please pray them up and make sure they have support. Maybe get a visiting pastor to stop in and let yours have a Sunday off to take his wife on a small trip or something?
Perhaps take up a love offering and buy them a dinner or something.
IDK there are a thousand things to do but let the man know that he is loved and appreciated :]
Scotty this thread is a blessing. My pastor just announced hours ago we are planting a new church with my friend and associate pastor leading the plant.

I’ve prayed to be led to be a humble servant in establishing this church plant. I’m sure I’ll be asking you some advice off line. :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Scotty this thread is a blessing. My pastor just announced hours ago we are planting a new church with my friend and associate pastor leading the plant.

I’ve prayed to be led to be a humble servant in establishing this church plant. I’m sure I’ll be asking you some advice off line. :).
Hallelujah, Praise God on a new church plant :clap:and I would be honored brother.
Bless you

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admin hat on
291408_e6cf608610e995bd8499eea7250caff4.jpeg

Please post according to the SOP of CA.

Christian Advice Statement of Purpose

Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering. Christian Advice is a Christians only forum. Non-Christians may ask for advice for a struggle they are encountering in the Struggles by Non-Christians forum.

Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith. We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

All advice should be given in the spirit of love and humility, extending grace and respect towards one another in an effort to encourage and uplift the member seeking advice. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christians can request advice from other Christians without fear of being attacked. With this in mind, posts that chastise or belittle another member will be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. Posts that debate rather than advise will also be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. If you are banned from a thread and would like to discuss the situation with an Administrator, please open a ticket in support.

Members who post a thread with the intent to give advice, not ask for advice, may either have their thread moved to more appropriate forum, or removed as off topic if there isn't a suitable forum for their thread.

Hat off.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Was this thread moved, as it seems to be in Full and Part-Time ministry vs. Christian advice?

This thread brings up a point concerning single vs. married pastors. Anyone know of any resources...books, groups, etc....that specifically focus on single pastors?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Was this thread moved, as it seems to be in Full and Part-Time ministry vs. Christian advice?

This thread brings up a point concerning single vs. married pastors. Anyone know of any resources...books, groups, etc....that specifically focus on single pastors?
Hello friend and yes it was moved over here for a better fit :]
I would also be interested in a book on single pastors. Thank you and if you find anything please let me know :]
Blessings

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Hello friend and yes it was moved over here for a better fit :]
I would also be interested in a book on single pastors. Thank you and if you find anything please let me know :]
Blessings

I'll post it here if I find out anything that doesn't already get posted here.

Upvote 0