Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I pray to both, and believe in the Trinity. They are God, but I know they are separate parts of the godhead.

I'm not entirely sure, does it matter which one I pray to since they are all God?

Attachments

• Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.png
    Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.png
    5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: JCFantasy23

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I pray to both, and believe in the Trinity. They are God, but I know they are separate parts of the godhead.

I'm not entirely sure, does it matter which one I pray to since they are all God?

It doesn't really matter because praying to one is to pray to all since they are the one God.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

As Christians, we pray to God our Father because He is the provider of all good things and we pray in Jesus’ name because He is the one who makes it possible to approach God because His blood has covered our sins.

We can pray to our Father and to our Lord Jesus. Both will hear and bless.

And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Acts 7:9

giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Ephesians 5:20

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. Romans 8:26

Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't really matter because praying to one is to pray to all since they are the one God.
And all three persons answer prayer? You know this How?
The Church has always took.the teaching of Christ on how to.pray. Jesus taught us to pray to the Father. We pray in the Name of Jesus as God answers prayers in His Son's name.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Begin your prayers, "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit".

Recite the Lord's Prayer

Make your prayer requests

Conclude with "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, amen".

• Winner
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And all three persons answer prayer? You know this How?
The Church has always took.the teaching of Christ on how to.pray. Jesus taught us to pray to the Father. We pray in the Name of Jesus as God answers prayers in His Son's name.

I don't care what "the church" says. God is one, so we can pray to any of the Godhead.

We can pray to Jesus so that Jesus can be our mediator with the Father.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Normally you speak directly to a mediator and then he goes to the other on your behalf....that's what the word means.

1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

We can call upon the name of our Father as well. There is no way to go wrong here except to make a man made religious rule and limit who can be prayed to.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't care what "the church" says. God is one, so we can pray to any of the Godhead.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Normally you speak directly to a mediator and then he goes to the other on your behalf....that's what the word means.

1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

We can call upon the name of our Father as well. There is no way to go wrong here except to make a man made religious rule and limit who can be prayed to.
Jesus cared about the Church.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I will recommend a book of written prayers, those can help you with your prayers.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus cared about the Church.

So? What "the church" says is not the same as what the bible says and the bible has no issue with praying to Jesus if someone wants to.

• Agree
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is actually a good topic to not get a simple answer to, because investigating what Scripture says about the Father vs. the Son, vs. the Holy Spirit is very valuable. Stop reading and go figure it out yourself! ;)

Scripture has by far the most testimony for praying to the Father, however Stephen prayed to Jesus (Acts 7:59-60), who is our Lord—the One who tells us what to do, not to mention that He is also our Judge.

Each Person of the Trinity has different roles. For example:

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. (1 Corinthians 12:4-6, 1984 NIV)

One could pray to the one whose role is most connected to the topic of the prayer—pray to Jesus about one's service to Him, pray to the Holy Spirit about His selection of spiritual gifts, and the Father for issues regarding His power, sovereignty, creation, etc. However, I doubt a case can be made that following this "role template" is a better approach than others.

However, keep in mind that we don't have three gods who are one such that we need to pray to the "right one." We have one God, and we can pray to "God" (the One who is revealed in the Bible).

I think the strongest case is that we are followers of Jesus, meaning that He is the example we should imitate—and He Himself prayed to the Father, and as mentioned in other posts, also taught his disciples to pray to the Father. But I don't think it is wrong to pray to any of the figures of the Godhead—just keep in mind that they are always in complete agreement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You don't care what the Church says? Are you not a part of Her?
I assure you I did not limit who (Which person of God) one can pray to. I was only speakimg of what is taught by scripture and by Christ.
I speak (pray) to all three persons of God meaning that I pray to God alone. But the Scriptures do not teach such. Nor does scripture forbid such. I do believe all three can hear you as they are one.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You don't care what the Church says? Are you not a part of Her?

I am part of the true Church, the body of Christ. Many organizations claim to be that but some fall short.

I assure you I did not limit who (Which person of God) one can pray to. I was only speakimg of what is taught by scripture and by Christ.

Christ showed a way to pray but it wasn't "the way" that must be copied.

I speak (pray) to all three persons of God meaning that I pray to God alone. But the Scriptures do not teach such. Nor does scripture forbid such. I do believe all three can hear you as they are one.

This is what I promote.

Upvote 0