Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
My Fiancé is in her early 20's and has been asking questions about my faith and telling me her worries and doubts. I seem to be making good progress by give her a gentle push each day into the right direction through general conversation.

She often asks, I don't want it to seem like i love God only because it means i don't go to hell.
I reply by saying, God has offered you a gift, this introduces you. You then learn more about him and what has been done for you out of love. This is what causes to then love in return and this will grow over time. Doubting is normal but seeking answers to those doubts is what causes great progress.

What are your thoughts on this forum? Please pray for us both that we grow closer to God.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My Fiancé is in her early 20's and has been asking questions about my faith and telling me her worries and doubts. I seem to be making good progress by give her a gentle push each day into the right direction through general conversation.

She often asks, I don't want it to seem like i love God only because it means i don't go to hell.
I reply by saying, God has offered you a gift, this introduces you. You then learn more about him and what has been done for you out of love. This is what causes to then love in return and this will grow over time. Doubting is normal but seeking answers to those doubts is what causes great progress.

What are your thoughts on this forum? Please pray for us both that we grow closer to God.

Kind Regards,
Daniel
I got saved only because I did not want to go to hell. It's a good start but not a good motivation to grow as a Christian. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". But perfect love casts out fear.

Upvote 0

Daniel.N18

Daniel
Mar 23, 2019
Manchester
✟2,177.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'll pray that she comes to Christ. But why have you committed to being yoked to her if she is an unbeliever?
I agree its not the wisest decision but I don't believe it is forbidden just warned against as it can cause a Christian to have additional trials and troubles. My Fiance prior to been engaged and now has never stood in the way of my faith, in-fact she supports me when i fast, when i visit church etc... I prayed before I proposed to her and didn't feel that i was led not to do so. I look forward to when were married and we align on our beliefs.

Thank you for saying you with pray! God bless.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Daniel.N18

Daniel
Mar 23, 2019
Manchester
✟2,177.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
I got saved only because I did not want to go to hell. It's a good start but not a good motivation to grow as a Christian. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". But perfect love casts out fear.
I am glad your saved Brother! I agree it is not a long term motivation and this is what I tell her, it is simply one motivation that is replaced by another more enveloped in love and selflessness.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You may be disappointed. She may not change or the process may take longer than you expect. Most who’ve knowingly done the same had lengthy waits spanning years. Sometimes decades. Read Lynn Donovan’s story. It took her husband 27 years to receive God.

There’s a difference between coming to faith within a marriage if neither were believers before its commencement or estranged. And willfully making an alliance with an unbeliever in the hope God saves them.

You must consider the ramifications of your decision. What if it takes longer than you anticipate? What if she hasn’t changed when you’re ready to have a family? How will you cope walking alone in your faith?

It can be lonely watching others share a bond you lack. Nudging her won’t bring her to God. If she has a change of heart after the marriage can you live with it?

Can you handle a different outcome? If you marry her you do so with the promise to remain no matter what. Including a rejection of God. Choose wisely.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Till Schilling

Feb 3, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
✟17,430.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I prayed before I proposed to her and didn't feel that i was led not to do so.
Forgive me my bluntness but what would you have expect to feel? You are - so I assume - a young man attracted to a young woman. Nature is powerful. Of course you will feel it is ok.

I look forward to when were married and we align on our beliefs.
Of course, but at the moment you are not. And indeed might never be. It is at the moment just your hope.

Keeping and growing a relationship is tough. At least I find it very, very tough. Religious beliefs are an important factor in family life. If you are not aligned on your values and on how you want to educate your children, it will become almost unbearably difficult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums