Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
He is a thorn in my side, he makes every fiber of my being burn with rage. He's so relentlessly bitter and means. A man like him, I would never marry. But I know this hatred is not from God.

I can't change him, but I can only deal with my flesh. So pray for me, that God grants me patience and peace.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He is a thorn in my side, he makes every fiber of my being burn with rage. He's so relentlessly bitter and means. A man like him, I would never marry. But I know this hatred is not from God.

I can't change him, but I can only deal with my flesh. So pray for me, that God grants me patience and peace.

:heart: Praying for you, and your dad too (((hug)))

• Friendly
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I'm praying. :prayer: I pray that God gives you patience and peace, that you will be able to love and forgive your father and that God will heal your heart from any emotional damage your father has done to you. I'm also praying that He helps your father. In Jesus' name, amen!

God bless!

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi MsKriskris,

Your visceral experience of your father may actually be attempting to inform you of something. One of the things that it took me a long time to learn , but which eventually was offered to me by several different Christian teachers and Pastors, is that we are not to be honoring any person in their sin. Not even Mother and Father. We are only to be honoring our parents to the extent that they honor and obey God. Beyond that we are to share the Gospel, set boundaries and distance ourselves from those who refuse to repent of repetitive sin. Pastor Henry Wright has a book called "Unloving" where he shares about this subject and Martha Kilpatrick has a series of CD's titled "Leave Thy Parents" which also addresses this issue . Sometimes patience does not honor God at all. We are not to be tolerating soul crushing behavior if it hinders our walk with the Lord. This can be a tricky subject to get information on because sometimes churches and pastors have not reached this level of spiritual maturity or discernment. If someone is making you burn with rage they are causing serious spiritual problems in your life. There are times when we are called to endure but there are also times when we are called to leave so it's not a cut and dry issue. Sometimes the circumstances will also inform you when there is temporarilly no clear path set out to leave, for instance.
May you pray and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you into new levels of insight on this matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Forgive them they know not what they do"

I guess only God can change your heart, but it starts with a willingness to be obedient to the command.

I do not know if you remember I was in a predicament like this a month ago. What helped was when I finally admitted to God I couldn't do it but I wanted to. I wanted to obey Him and admitted to Him I needed Him. Well forgiving wasn't so hard after.

Will it work for you too? Shall I pm you the thread?

God bless you Mskriskris ♡

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 12.2 :prayer:

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm right there with you. I have a TON of bitterness and hurt from my father.

My best friend and I were just talking about it the other day. He also had a very hurtful and bitter father.

My friend urged me to cut off all contact with my father because there was nothing to be gained from continuing to communicate with such a hurtful and bitter person. I can't do it. I know he's damaged me emotionally over the years and is the cause of all of my current issues with self-esteem and unhealthy relationships.

He and my mom divorced when I was two. We reconnected when I was 12 and he had re-married. I was riding with him somewhere and I asked him why he and his new wife never had kids. I'll never forget his response, "I never had much use for kids..."

Yeah, words like that can, and did, a lot of damage to the self-esteem of a 13yr old boy.

But I don't think he is completely evil; just damaged and bitter and unwilling to admit it or seek help.

Sounds like your dad may be a bit worse than mine, however.

Know that I did pray for you with the understanding of what you're going through.

• Friendly
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I will pray for you and your father. That our Heavenly Father replace his heart of stone with a heart of flesh.

When was the last time you did something kind for your father? No strings attached a kind gesture?

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I will pray for you and your father. That our Heavenly Father replace his heart of stone with a heart of flesh.

When was the last time you did something kind for your father? No strings attached a kind gesture?

Every morning before I head to work, I say "bye boss" and give him a kiss on the forehead. I also do handiwork around the house.Its when I want to rest and not tend to his needs right away he starts to get angry, aggressive, and say mean things.

I dont ask for much, because he putting a roof over my head so I show appreciation when I can. Hes normally very stubborn and I try to be lighthearted. But I wish the times that I can't he wasn't so mean to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every morning before I head to work, I say "bye boss" and give him a kiss on the forehead. I also do handiwork around the house.Its when I want to rest and not tend to his needs right away he starts to get angry, aggressive, and say mean things.

I dont ask for much, because he putting a roof over my head so I show appreciation when I can. Hes normally very stubborn and I try to be lighthearted. But I wish the times that I can't he wasn't so mean to me.
So so you have the prospect of still living at home for the foreseeable future? Sometimes the option of moving out if doable is preferred. It can also draw lines between adults making their own decisions.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So so you have the prospect of still living at home for the foreseeable future? Sometimes the option of moving out if doable is preferred. It can also draw lines between adults making their own decisions.

I'm in the process of saving up to move out sometime this year. But I don't want to leave with spite in my heart.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the process of saving up to move out sometime this year. But I don't want to leave with spite in my heart.
If you think of it in terms of him being unable to internalize your beliefs - if indeed this is the reason for his hostility - then you may be able to keep thinking of it in a Godward perspective.

Finding the right words to pray for him daily also is healthy.

PS: Sounds like moving out would prove to be a good eventual option.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bless you for your kind heart! You'll get there one way or another. Just keep praying and using God's ways to guide your thinking. Not the worlds wisdom. Although you might find it easier when you do move out, keep trying.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bless you for your kind heart! You'll get there one way or another. Just keep praying and using God's ways to guide your thinking. Not the worlds wisdom. Although you might find it easier when you do move out, keep trying.
In some ways moving out would lift a weight off @Mskriskris 's mind, in any case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums