Potty Training Wahhhhhh!!

gwyyn

May 24, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟16,071.00
Faith
Christian
I'm in need of advice.  My son will be 3 in August and I've been trying to get him potty trained.  He knows when he has to go.  I've got him several times with his pants down and aiming for the trailors on his tractors.  :(   When I catch him doing this I make him go to the potty and he will go.  He gets all excited cause I praise him and such for going.  However any other time I try to get him to go he won't. 

Any advise on getting him more regular.  I would try the every 30 minute or hour deal, but my DR. sais no it's bad for the bladders and urinary tracts when u force them to go in cycles.

gwyyn

karla

Love God, Serve God
Nov 5, 2002
York, Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟2,814.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you leaving him underwear or naked during the day or is he in diapers/pullups. My daughter started potty training at 2 because she was interested in the potty. (makes my life a little easier!) With the pull ups she never realized that she was going. Once we put her in underwear she was able to tell that she was peeing and we got her to the potty. IT took a few weeks, but all is well now. I spent may a nights doing laundry and cleaning up pee on the carpet. You might want to give it a try and see if it works. Make sure you praise him when he does, but don't make a big deal out of it if he doesn't. If not, maybe he just isn't ready. My neighbors son didn't potty train until a month before his 4th birthday. Good luck!

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like things are going fine, really:) As my mom advised me, "Praise him well when he succeeds, and don't look like a terrorist if he has an accident."

I don't understand your docs opinion on pottying in cycles (?). How could that harm the urinary tract to keep things moving regularly??? Anyway...You could increase his liquid intake and thus give you and him lots more opportunities to practice his new skill:) It's hard to say how much time you should wait between sitting times. Some kids are better at holding it in than others My son could drink tons of juice and water and HOLD IT IN for hours. Once he held it for 30 hours!!! (instant bedtime dryness--ahhh)

When my kids had accidents I always had them help clean up the mess, wipe up puddles, etc. Not as a punishment, but to learn consequenses of those kinds of accidents.

I agree, use cloth training pants. They feel nasty when they're wet and offer more incentive to stay dry.

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We were blessed/lucky with our daughter when it came to this issue. She would usually poop at the table just we were finishing meals. She would get all red in the face and then the wonderful aroma would over power whatever was on the table. So we started to put her on the potty as soon as we saw this happening. We started this before she was 12 months old. By the time she was 15 months or so we were not changing poopy dipers anymore. As time went on she would start to tell us when she had to go. By the time she was 20 months old or so she was 'potty trained' and wearing regular underpants. She still wears pullups to bed at night but is making it through the night more without wetting herself.

I hear that girls are easier to train in this than boys. Also too that starting them too soon can discourage them. Pullups are not the best for training as they don't feel when they are wet. Those are a few things I have learned from raising our daughter.

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
I wish I could offer advise, but I have no clue how we did it. Our daughter is 26 months, and is completely trained, but still has pull-ups at night to avoid accidents. We didn't do much other than praise her like crazy when she went in the pot, and leave her in regular panties whenever she was awake at home. She just did the rest on her own. Lucky us.

Upvote 0