Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here have some good potato dish recipes they would like to share? We're having a bishop come to our mission next Monday evening for DL service. I am supposed to bring a potato dish and a green salad. The green salad I've got covered, but my recipes lack anything decent with a potato dish. I do have escalloped potatoes, but that is rather bland. I was thinking of adding cheese to it, but that isn't appealing to me for a nice dinner.

Anyone have any ideas? Something that won't break the bank, that is. ;)

T

Thekla

Colcannon - a family favorite

*Boil 5 pounds potatoes and mash with milk and salt to taste (lumps are o.k., for texture)
(I leave some of the skin on - looks "prettier)
*Add to this, 1 small head cabbage that has been thinly sliced and steamed til wilted. Add a little
of the flavored "steaming water" as well.(Napa is good)
*add also one large or two small leeks, chopped into small bits and cooked in butter til soft
*add half a bunch fresh parsley, chopped

mix the above thoroughly, check salt. Turn into a large casserole, dot with butter and bake at 350 degr. for about 20 minutes, then broil til the top is gently brown.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The ultimate mashed potatoe recipe.

peel and boil the golden potatoes.

when doing th mashing part add:

tons of butter/like 1 or 2 sticks
a good helping of sour cream/ a whole container
a little heavy whipping cream/ 3/4 of a pint
a ton of salt
white pepper.

Do not over mix/mash

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
INGREDIENTS:

• 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns, aka 'country style'
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup margarine (1 stick), melted
  • 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • Black pepper (to taste ~ 1/2 tsp perhaps)
PREPARATION:

Thaw hash browns for 30 to 60 minutes. Preheat oven 350°. Combine all ingredients in a huge bowl. Mix well then place in a 9x13 pan. Bake uncovered for one hour.

My SIL made this for us and it was awesome, though she didn't use the onion.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The ultimate mashed potatoe recipe.

peel and boil the golden potatoes.

when doing th mashing part add:

tons of butter/like 1 or 2 sticks
a good helping of sour cream/ a whole container
a little heavy whipping cream/ 3/4 of a pint
a ton of salt
white pepper.

Do not over mix/mash
I think you forgot a step:

apply cardiac paddles, repeat as needed.

otherwise it sounds delicious.

Reactions: Theophorus
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mmm potato dish. I can't help, sorry - I like potatoes but I'm not good at cooking them.

The only thing I don't like is mashed potato - everyone thinks i'm mad but I just don't like it! My future MIL has figured out a way to make me eat it, but it ceases to be mashed potato by the time she's done with it - she adds so much else to it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

lol....lol...you have me rolling over... my thinking excatly.. My BP is high and i got cholesterol .... if i have this one I am on my way to the ER.... I will see you there nutroll....lol.....

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
lol....lol...you have me rolling over... my thinking excatly.. My BP is high and i got cholesterol .... if i have this one I am on my way to the ER.... I will see there nutroll....lol.....
Oh but what a way to go!! LOL!!! :D

Upvote 0
F

fuerein

Mmm potato dish. I can't help, sorry - I like potatoes but I'm not good at cooking them.

The only thing I don't like is mashed potato - everyone thinks i'm mad but I just don't like it! My future MIL has figured out a way to make me eat it, but it ceases to be mashed potato by the time she's done with it - she adds so much else to it!
Lol. I like mashed potatoes but I rarely eat them plain or even with just gravy. I'll almost always have mashed potatoes and something else (meat, stuffing [or dressing depending on what you call it], veggies, etc) on my fork at the same time.

I also have a jaw problem (TMJ) and when it acts up really bad I'll make mashed potatoes and then mix in a boiled chicken breast that went through the blender, cheese, whatever else I have laying around that is either soft or I can make soft... Yup adult baby food! Fun! I hate when it acts up.

As for the OP... I don't know I pretty much only make baked or mashed potatoes.

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lol. I like mashed potatoes but I rarely eat them plain or even with just gravy. I'll almost always have mashed potatoes and something else (meat, stuffing [or dressing depending on what you call it], veggies, etc) on my fork at the same time.

I also have a jaw problem (TMJ) and when it acts up really bad I'll make mashed potatoes and then mix in a boiled chicken breast that went through the blender, cheese, whatever else I have laying around that is either soft or I can make soft... Yup adult baby food! Fun! I hate when it acts up.

As for the OP... I don't know I pretty much only make baked or mashed potatoes.
I had TMJ too, until I went to the orthodontist at the age of 41 and had braces put on my teeth. It cured it forever. :)

Upvote 0

Chocolatesa

has commenced Theosis
Apr 14, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
✟9,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

ROFL! I nearly answered the phone at work laughing, I had to press mute, the client must have been wondering why I took so long to answer :p Oh, and I'll join the party in the ER! Definitely gonna make that sometime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My mom's gnocci:

Ingrendiendos:
1 kilo of potatoes
1 egg
1 yolk (not to be confused with 1 egg)
Flour (not too much, not too little)
Salt
Cheese fondue for which I feel lazy writing the recipe (just melt cheese, easy as pie)

Boil the unpeeled potatoes. Once they cool down, remove the peel and mash them. Add all the other ingredients into the mixture, and make tiny balls out of them. Put them into boiling water (add salt to the water first). Cooked gnocci float to the surface when done.
Then make a molten cheese fondue (we use gorgonzola and gouda) and lots of it! Mix with gnocci.
The resulting dish is notihng like potatoes - which is why I love it. :)

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

My mom's gnocci:

Ingrendiendos:
1 kilo of potatoes
1 egg
Salt
Cheese fondue for which I feel lazy writing the recipe (just melt cheese, easy as pie)

Boil the unpeeled potatoes. Once they cool down, remove the peel and mash them. Add all the other ingredients into the mixture, and make tiny balls out of them. Put them into boiling water (add salt to the water first). Cooked gnocci float to the surface when done.
Then make a molten cheese fondue (we use gorgonzola and gouda) and lots of it! Mix with gnocci.
wow, this sounds great ! -- all the way to the gorgonzola and gouda :)

Upvote 0

TrueHope

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
✟10,944.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mom's gnocci:

Ingrendiendos:
1 kilo of potatoes
1 egg
Salt

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.