Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I made mention of my desire to convert to Orthodoxy. I got some feedback from a friend on Facebook, who accused me, in a nice way, of acting like a Protestant in "picking and choosing" which doctrines and things to like about the Roman Catholic faith.

This is my reply. Would you, my dear Orthodox friends, please check my statements for doctrinal accuracy? Thank you.

Here is a short list of the things I have serious problems with, David.

1. Not giving children the Eucharist until they reach a supposed "age of reason." Ridiculous. And breaks the shadow/type found in the Old Covenant with the Jews.

2. The system of "merit" and indulgences. Purely based on a Roman mindset and legal understanding of salvation.

3. Use of "dead bread" and cold water in the Eucharist. In the East, we are celebrating our union with Christ in the Eucharist, therefore, the bread must have leaven in it to represent the living Christ. As leaven is "alive," so is Christ alive. Dead bread breaks the symbolism. At the consecration in the East, the priest adds a small amount of warm water, again symbolizing a warm body of a living Christ.

3. Superstitious belief in certain prayers that if you repeat them all your life, you are guaranteed heaven. This sounds very much like the idea of "making a decision for Jaaaaayzyz" once in your life and you are guaranteed heaven. This is bound up in the whole Roman mentality of salvation as a legal transaction rather than a journey in to holiness. Salvation is medicinal, not legal. It is not about paying off some legal debt to God. It is about becoming gods, as St. Athanasius said: "God became man so that man might become god." To do so, a radical change in our very ontology is required, and the idea that you pray a certain number of prayers on five consecutive Saturdays and BINGO! you are set for heaven short-circuits this whole process of ontological change.

4. Baptism by sprinkling. Again, ridiculous! Does not symbolize our death, burial, and resurrection in Christ and is a total break with what the Early Church taught.

5. The Immaculate Conception. Causes serious anthropological and soteriological problems. If Mary was immaculately conceived, then She is not a pattern and inspiration for us because She could not sin. If She is like us and by Her own free-will choice, aided by grace, She chose not to sin, then She is our Exemplar.

Also, if Mary was conceived in such a manner, then why not do this for all men and women born so as to guarantee their salvation?

This whole idea comes from Augustine's very dark view of mankind as "totally depraved" (Calvin brought this out from Augustine's writings) and therefore corrupt from the womb, infected with the guilt and sin of Adam. Utter doctrinal crappola.

6. Papal Infallibility. Never taught by the Early Fathers. While the Orthodox honor the Holy Father as the "First among equals," this doctrine was not ratified by an ecummenical council. The last I looked in Church history, all major doctrinal pronouncements and changes came from the Church meeting as a whole to pronounced truth. This is in line with what the Scriptures state, that the CHURCH (and NO SINGLE MAN) is the "pillar and ground of truth."
It is also interesting to step back and see that whenever you have a heresy cropping up in the world, it is a single man's thoughts that have become that heresy. The Church meeting AS A WHOLE - as the Body of Christ - the protection against heresy.

7. Manichaeism and Jansenism. Specifically, the idea that the priesthood MUST be unmarried. While I have no problem with those whom our Lord calls to the celibate life, to say that only celibate men can be priests is not only a break with the past, the things I read about it appear to have to do with the idea that sex is somehow sinful and dirty and therefore married priests cannot be holy.

It also denies that the real reason had more to do with priest's widows inheritances in the 13th century than it did with any other reason.

Let's understand something. I am far from a holy person. But I can read, I can study, and I can put 2+2 together. When I converted, I wanted to worship like they did in the beginning. That is what many Evangelicals I spoke with were looking for. I made a mistake becoming Catholic. Orthodoxy has held together the doctrines of the Apostles. Romanism has added things over the centuries, starting with Augustine.

Finally, forgive me if you take this as a personal attack. I do not mean it that way. There are many fine, fine people in the Roman Catholic Church, and I am sure that a great number are more holy and love the Lord far better than I ever will. I am just having a real wrestling with my conscience right now because of the things I just posted.

You can also read more here.
Roman Presidency and Christian Unity in our Time | St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary

Reactions: Philip_B

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure others more educated can give you better critiques. Offhand what mostly catches my eye is that I think the water added to the Eucharist is more than just warming it up. I'm not sure whether you want to go into so much detail or not?

And I notice your idea of softening at the end. If you are sincere in that, I'd lead off with part of it so that your friend doesn't read the whole thing in a combative mindset, only to have it flipped over at the end.

It's interesting that he chose to consider your motives akin to Protestant church-shopping. I've never seen that mindset lead one to Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy is challenging and not based on our preferences.

Like you, the main reason for seeking out and choosing Orthodoxy generally is to align oneself with the ancient faith. I would expect this to be a motive Catholics could appreciate. The only issue being how we each define what the early Church believed (in a few matters like how much flows from Petrine primacy) to more importantly, how much the Church is allowed to change/"develop" what she initially received from the Apostles.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure others more educated can give you better critiques. Offhand what mostly catches my eye is that I think the water added to the Eucharist is more than just warming it up. I'm not sure whether you want to go into so much detail or not?

And I notice your idea of softening at the end. If you are sincere in that, I'd lead off with part of it so that your friend doesn't read the whole thing in a combative mindset, only to have it flipped over at the end.

It's interesting that he chose to consider your motives akin to Protestant church-shopping. I've never seen that mindset lead one to Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy is challenging and not based on our preferences.

Like you, the main reason for seeking out and choosing Orthodoxy generally is to align oneself with the ancient faith. I would expect this to be a motive Catholics could appreciate. The only issue being how we each define what the early Church believed (in a few matters like how much flows from Petrine primacy) to more importantly, how much the Church is allowed to change/"develop" what she initially received from the Apostles.

I was listening to AFR yesterday and to Fr. Thomas Hopko. He was going into some detail on the Liturgy, and covering the part about the consecration. After listening to him, I have never understood this part of the Liturgy as well as I do now. The warm water is symbolic of the warm and living Body of our Lord. He is not dead. He is risen.

One of the things that appealed to me about Eastern worship and the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was the importance of symbols in the Liturgy and architecture. Rome has absolutely destroyed all that in the last 50+ years and now wonders why people are leaving in droves. When I understood how the architecture and liturgical symbols of the East spoke to heavenly realities, I was captured. I just wish the priest, whose Saturday vespers I was attending as I was doing my investigations into the ancient faith, had sat me down and explained to me what was going on. I'm not saying for sure it would have happened, because I was pretty Western in my thinking, but maybe I would not have made the choice I made, which I am more and more regretting now.

As for the "church-shopping" issue, he was saying that I am acting like a Protestant in choosing what I will accept and what I will not and pointing to the massive moral problems in the Roman Church throughout the last millenium.

I guess all I can do is ask that you continue to pray for me.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As for the "church-shopping" issue, he was saying that I am acting like a Protestant in choosing what I will accept and what I will not...
To me, church shopping sort of means something else, like looking around for a church you just "like" because you like the pastor or the people or the decorations or whatever. If you're sincerely trying to sort out truth from error, that's not church shopping, that's something that should be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was listening to AFR yesterday and to Fr. Thomas Hopko. He was going into some detail on the Liturgy, and covering the part about the consecration. After listening to him, I have never understood this part of the Liturgy as well as I do now. The warm water is symbolic of the warm and living Body of our Lord. He is not dead. He is risen.

One of the things that appealed to me about Eastern worship and the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was the importance of symbols in the Liturgy and architecture. Rome has absolutely destroyed all that in the last 50+ years and now wonders why people are leaving in droves. When I understood how the architecture and liturgical symbols of the East spoke to heavenly realities, I was captured. I just wish the priest, whose Saturday vespers I was attending as I was doing my investigations into the ancient faith, had sat me down and explained to me what was going on. I'm not saying for sure it would have happened, because I was pretty Western in my thinking, but maybe I would not have made the choice I made, which I am more and more regretting now.

As for the "church-shopping" issue, he was saying that I am acting like a Protestant in choosing what I will accept and what I will not and pointing to the massive moral problems in the Roman Church throughout the last millenium.

Oh you are certainly correct that the warm water - along with the leavened bread - are because we receive the risen Christ - He is of course alive.

I was referring to various teaching that there is more symbolism than only this involved (such as the water mixed with blood that flowed from His pierced side). But I wasn't sure if you wanted to get that deeply into it.

Interestingly I did some quick reading on various sites and in the process ran across what are apparently EC sites that list further symbolism, but not the same emphasis as Orthodoxy.

I'm no expert so I won't go on.

Certainly you are very often in my prayers. I know this has been long and difficult for you. God be with you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Oh and of course we as Traditional Christians are not free to pick and choose what we will accept from the Church - if we indeed accept that the Church is the Church and that she has faithfully kept the faith once for all delivered to her.

(And for any lurking Protestants - this is a question worth exploring. It's not as though the Church dictates our every thought. It IS that there are certain non-negotiable teachings that are not open to re-interpretation. Other than that, we have a great deal of freedom. Many aspects of doctrine are not cafeteria-style where we pick one, but rather like a banquet where much is offered, and we can feast to whatever degree we are able or need to.)

But determining whether or not she IS that Church - is certainly our responsibility and right.

Protestant mentality is completely different. Largely they have no foundation (except Scripture which unfortunately there is almost no point it makes that ALL of them agree on its interpretation - so they are really left to their own thinking) so ... because the are "cafe style" in their doctrines, the best they can usually do if they are looking for a fellowship they can agree with doctrinally is to find the closest match.

It's a completely different approach than considering what IS Tradition and how we are going to interact with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. But it's rather unfair to compare your approach to Protestants, IMO.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
looks good to me, his response would be interesting to see.

He is a good man with a good heart. A convert like me. We have had coffee together a couple of times. He said he would like to get together again and discuss. I'm open. Hope I'm up to it. Still learning.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The didache gives an exception for pouring water over the convert, it is specific and the exception not the rule. I'm not learned enough in the canons to know if that was abandoned.
Overall, other than softening the tone a Smidgen, your list looked good.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He is a good man with a good heart. A convert like me. We have had coffee together a couple of times. He said he would like to get together again and discuss. I'm open. Hope I'm up to it. Still learning.

good, and I would add kindly as well, that your points are just the tip of the iceberg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This may be a daft question, for which I apologise if it is, but have you checked out Catholic Answers apologetics?

I've seen quite a few articles on there that would possibly put your mind at rest with most of your qualms with Catholicism.

Also, don't worry about coming across as attacking anybody, you're definitely not. I think anybody that is serious about their faith goes through this at some point. I know I have many times :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The didache gives an exception for pouring water over the convert, it is specific and the exception not the rule. I'm not learned enough in the canons to know if that was abandoned.
Overall, other than softening the tone a Smidgen, your list looked good.

About the tone -- yes, I know. That's one thing that has me concerned. I find it all to easy to develop attitudes towards others. Just because I don't agree with RC teaching does not give me carte blanche to be a jerk towards them.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This may be a daft question, for which I apologise if it is, but have you checked out Catholic Answers apologetics?

I've seen quite a few articles on there that would possibly put your mind at rest with most of your qualms with Catholicism.

Also, don't worry about coming across as attacking anybody, you're definitely not. I think anybody that is serious about their faith goes through this at some point. I know I have many times :)

While I appreciate what you are saying, I want to let you know that I am a convert to the apostolic faith, being a Protestant for 25 years. More than that, one of the bigoted variety (I once wrote to an Orthodox priest and a Catholic priest that they should repent of their idol worship - that kind!). Hence, to get into the faith, I did a tremendous amount of reading and study.

My problem came in seminary when I began to think about what exactly it means to be "in communion" with Rome. We (meaning Orthodox and Catholic) do not allow Protestants at our Holy Table, despite their profession of Christ. The reason is simple. Communion means that we are in agreement on doctrinal points of importance - i.e., the truth!

Therefore, when I have come to a fuller understanding of the faith of the Early Fathers, and find that what Rome teaches goes far and away from that, then I find myself wondering just how I can say I am in communion when I don't believe what they are teaching. More than that, I have been more than once told that even as an "Eastern Catholic" Christian, I must accept all that Rome teaches in the Catechism and has dogmatically pronounced. Which is interesting because the Ukrainian Catholic Church has their own Catechism and it make no mention whatsoever of indulgences.

So how do I think and believe Orthodox and yet maintain communion with Rome? Perhaps you have an answer for me, because I sure don't.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
good, and I would add kindly as well, that your points are just the tip of the iceberg

There's more????

I mean, more than Fr. Hopko said in his article???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums