Posting bible verses to hurt others or gain attention? Is that a sin?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know why I am like this but I will sometimes intentionally post a bible verse on facebook, knowing it will offend a friend, and enjoy their reaction.
I feel guilty for even wanting to post bible verses. I tell myself that I need to quit posting them if I'm not going to post it for the right reason. But then people will start to wonder "has she backslid?". I like posting bible verses to my page but the dark side of me wants to do it to cause conflict with a friend, who is very very rude. What should I do? And is this a sin?

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why I am like this but I will sometimes intentionally post a bible verse on facebook, knowing it will offend a friend, and enjoy their reaction.
I feel guilty for even wanting to post bible verses. I tell myself that I need to quit posting them if I'm not going to post it for the right reason. But then people will start to wonder "has she backslid?". I like posting bible verses to my page but the dark side of me wants to do it to cause conflict with a friend, who is very very rude. What should I do? And is this a sin?

It sure is a sin. Don't overcomplicate it: Don't post Bible verses out of strife. Seek God and get your heart right before you post any more Bible verses. Let people think you're backslid if they'd be thinking that by seeing that you are taking a break from posting Bible verses. The truth is that you are backslidden already by posting Bible verses for malicious reasons. Die to self so that you can love God supremely and love your neighbor as yourself. Easier said than done- but worth the difficulty of doing. You are walking in death until you break and come to that.

Colossians 3:23-25 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons."

1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Romans 13:12-14 "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We have to be very careful about how we use the Scriptures. God has communicated to mankind through them to show His plan of salvation and His standards of holy living. Therefore the test of whether a Scripture or a word is correct is to ask, "Is it edifying, comforting, or encouraging? And if the motive is not in harmony with the fruit of the Spirit, then it is a misuse of Scripture and the Holy Spirit will be grieved, and the person misusing the Scripture, thereby insulting the Holy Spirit who inspired them, will need to repent in order to restore broken fellowship with God.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a friend, who is very very rude.
In case the person is rude, there is scripture you can post which can help the person, I think >

"Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing." (1 Peter 3:8-9)

From this, your friend can see we need to be "courteous", and you need to see that you should not use scriptures to revile the person. But we all "first of all" need to care in prayer for people > please feed on 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In case the person is rude, there is scripture you can post which can help the person, I think >

"Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing." (1 Peter 3:8-9)

From this, your friend can see we need to be courteous, and you need to see that you should not use scriptures to revile the person. But we all "first of all" need to care in prayer for people > please feed on 1 Timothy 2:1-4.
Because this Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit through Peter, it is just as if Jesus said it Himself. Jesus said that we are His friends if we do what He has commanded us to do. The Scripture you have quoted is a command of Jesus; therefore anyone behaving in ways contrary to it are disobeying the Lord and therefore are not showing themselves to be friends of His.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are being very vague. So, I can not be sure what it was you did... Just the same:

I have a few times in my life done something that sounds like that. Over the phone I said to someone who was being very arrogant and stupid, to stop being stupid. It just blurted out of me. After I did, I felt I was wrong for saying what I did. .

A week later.. The head pastor at the Bible college I attended, expounded on a passage showing that it was telling certain believers to stop being stupid. I sat there stunned. For I had thought I was acting in my flesh and that the Bible never teaches us to be that way....
We need to be learning that...
God's ways are not our ways. His thoughts are not our thoughts.

The more sound doctrine we accept and understand the More the Holy Spirit can work through us without getting in God's way in doing what He desires ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After I did, I felt I was wrong for saying what I did. .

A week later the head pastor at the Bible college I attended, expounded on a passage showing that it was telling certain believers to stop being stupid. I sat there stunned. For I had thought I was acting in my flesh when I told what I had to the arrogant believer...
Possibly, you felt unsure because you yourself need correction, too; and so God was not going to assure you to keep busy only with dealing with the other person.

While we deal with others, I think it is helpful to point out how we ourselves are being corrected by God. This includes talking about how His correction is helping us get closer to Him in His peace, while helping us find out how to love any and all people.

But if we only take on how someone else is wrong, we might get to feeling unsure . . . since God has a thing of two which He wants to get our attention about our own selves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You are being very vague. So, I can not be sure what it was you did... Just the same:

I have a few times in my life done something that sounds like that. Over the phone I said to someone who was being very arrogant and stupid to stop being stupid. After I did, I felt I was wrong for saying what I did. .

A week later the head pastor at the Bible college I attended, expounded on a passage showing that it was telling certain believers to stop being stupid. I sat there stunned. For I had thought I was acting in my flesh when I told what I had to the arrogant believer...

God's ways are not our ways. His thoughts are not our thoughts.
It all has to do with motive.
If my motive for correcting someone is because they are annoying to me, then it is a selfish motive and has no moral value, and the correction could very well lack kindness and gentleness in its approach.

The Scripture says that we should correct others "with love". This means that the motive for the correction is for the well-being of the other person. We are aware that Jesus loves them, and so should we. He said that it has greater value to love an unlovable person than to love someone we would normally see as lovable. Therefore, when we correct someone with love, gentleness and kindness is part of it as well. We also have self-control, patience, and humility when correcting another, so that our tone of voice is always gentle and not showing impatience or anger.

As a rule, people have a better knowledge of their weaknesses than their strengths. We often make the mistake of trying to correct a person by showing what they are doing wrong. This can have the opposite effect of what we may intend. But correcting a person by showing the right way reinforces their strengths and encourages them to do better.

This is how Paul treated the Corinthians when he wrote to them. You will see that although he pointed out some glaring things that needed correction, he spent most of his time showing them the right ways of doing things, explaining why they were the right ways.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Scripture says that we should correct others "with love".

Jesus called Peter "Satan" with *perfect love.*

The person I said it to is a loved one. It just blurted out. I really did not feel anger. Just a bit frustrated with how distorting this person was acting and abusing the Word of God. This person later on ended up becoming mentally ill after years of following false doctrines.

Yes... God wanted to correct me. Correct by showing me when the Spirit is filling us we must be made ready for what comes not from our own personal perspective. That is done so by preparing and more study. He showed me that if I do not become well rounded in learning as much sound doctrine as I could, that there will be times I will apologize for God when it should not be the case. I never stopped studying and learning from those can teach from the Hebrew and Greek texts.

I realize that teaching the principle I gave in what I did can give some antagonistic person a feeling that he has a license to sin. That should not make us be quiet. We who can must preach and teach truth. For example.. The teaching grace even though some with use that as an excuse to sin. Its why some teach we can lose our salvation. They do not want believers to have a choice and to be placed under the tyranny of legalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

There’s your sin.

but the dark side of me wants to do it to cause conflict with a friend, who is very very rude.

There’s the root.

You are focusing on your friend’s sin while ignoring your own and creating strife to point it out to her.

Your intention and enjoyment aren’t manifestations of the Lord’s involvement. That’s Satan’s domain and you’re helping him out.

It would be better for you to address the stone in your heart instead of trying to work on hers. It doesn’t matter how many verses you post. What matters is whether they see Christ in you.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will sometimes intentionally post a bible verse on facebook, knowing it will offend a friend, and enjoy their reaction.
You're making yourself part of the problem rather than the solution. You are lowering yourself to her level. You need to focus on yourself and extricate yourself from the problem. Maybe you need to cool the relationship if it's not healthy. Or instead of passive-aggressiveness you should try "speaking the truth in love, one to another", as Ephesians instructs us.

The issue here is not your friend, it is your willingness to fight this battle in the strength of the flesh. But "man's anger does not achieve the righteousness of God." You are putting yourself in bondage and need to seek deliverance from it.

I'm not trying to get on your case. We all do this to some extent and need to give careful attention to our speech and actions and how they make us feel internally. Sanctification is an ongoing process, and it's one we need to press into with willingness.

• Winner
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rather than keeping us in the dark and guessing? Could you please show us what verses you chose, and what it is your friend is doing to warrant you using them?

Until you do? You are leaving our answers as subjective shots in the dark. We have nothing to really anchor to but our imagination. We have no way to know what it is you think you are doing is really as bad as you wish to make it seem.

Can you be specific, please?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Get off facebook.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Philippians 2:3

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Ephesians 4:31-32

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Matthew 7:12

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

James 4:1

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All this talk from what we imagine it to be. She has yet to show what Scriptures she used to "annoy" her rude friend... Whom we have no idea in what way was being rude. Was she really rude? Maybe she was going against the OP's legalism? We can not know.

This thread has been all conjecture and opinion until she levels with us and tells us the actual facts. She may be the wrong one for all we know.

• Agree
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you should get off of Facebook. Seriously. This kind of drama, social complexity, the temptation to rile people, the tendency to feel crummy when no one "likes" our photo of a hot dog, or our tendency to passive-aggressively not "like" someone's photo of a hot dog, all this stuff.....

Twenty years ago, this wasn't a thing.

It's silly. Share Christ with folks off-line. Let everything else go. That's my advice. As someone who grew up before social media, got into it in college, and backed out of it once out of school. It's kind of a mess.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you should get off of Facebook. Seriously. This kind of drama, social complexity, the temptation to rile people, the tendency to feel crummy when no one "likes" our photo of a hot dog, or our tendency to passive-aggressively not "like" someone's photo of a hot dog, all this stuff.....

Twenty years ago, this wasn't a thing.

It's silly. Share Christ with folks off-line. Let everything else go. That's my advice. As someone who grew up before social media, got into it in college, and backed out of it once out of school. It's kind of a mess.
How do you know what she is doing on Facebook?

Are we all like you? Are we all Catholics?

That is for her to decide. If you feel cold? You put on a sweater. Please, don't tell someone else to. Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0