Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is written from the viewpoint of the devil; but it is more about making the wrong choices, choosing "hate instead of love," and ending up with him instead of the "someone above" that actually made the world.

Another of my faves from that album. I played that whole album to death when I was in highschool and my first year of college.

Yeah, I know LOTW is that, and it is actually a warning if you know how to interpret it..unlike the alleged joke with the song NIB on first album.

Into the Void is also cool from MOR. I think they were influenced by the Moon trips, and whoever made that AF video wove that into it ...even Wicked World from first album says "They can put a man on the moon quite easy. While people here on earth still die of old diseases"

ITV

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I know LOTW is that, and it is actually a warning if you know how to interpret it..unlike the alleged joke with the song NIB on first album.
I think I related the story behind several of the songs on Masters here somewhere.

Tony Iommy and Ozzy (and maybe the drummer) came to Christianity via the Jesus movement just after "Paranoid." Ozzy started preaching the Gospel between songs which really made their occult followers irate. They got death threats, which were ignored. But one night the lights went out during a song and they all dove for the floor. A single bullet was fired and would have taken out the drummer had he not been quick about getting down.

They all went back to their former lives, but put their new songs on Masters.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I related the story behind several of the songs on Masters here somewhere.

Tony Iommy and Ozzy (and maybe the drummer) came to Christianity via the Jesus movement just after "Paranoid." Ozzy started preaching the Gospel between songs which really made their occult followers irate. They got death threats, which were ignored. But one night the lights went out during a song and they all dove for the floor. A single bullet was fired and would have taken out the drummer had he not been quick about getting down.

They all went back to their former lives, but put their new songs on Masters.

I think we talked about that before, or I had that conversation with someone here a few weeks back. Ozzy preaches a bit in War Pigs on paranoid though too...
and he does say Oh LORD JAH though the lyrics people say "Lord yeah" 1:45..he says JAH, not yeah..when Ozzy sings "yeah" it sounds like yeah, that doesnt, that is LORD JAH!

Psalm 68:4 Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.

Listen to it and tell me what he actually says there 1:45

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember that song well, also. IMO it could go either way. Ozzy was never one for clear articulation.

My friend Dave (who had the Paranoid album) and I both noticed the biblical references in War Pigs and one other song.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember that song well, also. IMO it could go either way. Ozzy was never one for clear articulation.

My friend Dave (who had the Paranoid album) and I both noticed the biblical references in War Pigs and one other song.

The "J" is quite clear and Ozzy could say "yeah" pretty good with a clear "Y"..i figure either he did that deliberately to get it in the song, or else God got his tongue..
well, Lion of the tribe of Judah so cat got his tongue???

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IT is a common pronounciation error when a "y" sound follows a "D" or "T" to slip in a "J" sound.

Like asking someone "What juh doing?"

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IT is a common pronounciation error when a "y" sound follows a "D" or "T" to slip in a "J" sound.

Like asking someone "What juh doing?"

Hmm, you're right. I just sang that line a few times and it came out both ways even though I was trying to say "Oh Lord yeah"....
Technically the original Hebrew would be YAH anyways as JAH and JEHOVAH are English pronunciations. Well OZ is British..

Still is a cool thing and gives chance to preach from Psalm 68!

What ja'all think of that?

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
While I can't say with 100% certainty, so much points to it being yeah rather than Jah that I'm a little surprised that anyone would think otherwise.

It doesn't makes much sense in the context of the lyrics for it to be Jah rather than yeah, and I wouldn't have thought it at all likely that a group of working class guys from Birrmingham in the 60s would ever make a reference to Jah. Also, the vowel sound is also an "eah" rather an "ah", and as already mentioned D followed by Y can produce a J sound e.g. Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er, which is pronounced "Jamaica".

So I don't see any logical reason to think that it's Jah instead of yeah.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Technically the original Hebrew would be YAH anyways as JAH and JEHOVAH are English pronunciations.
Quite true. In fact the "J" sound existed in no language anywhere on earth before the middle ages. It came into english sometime during the 1600s.

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Quite true. In fact the "J" sound existed in no language anywhere on earth before the middle ages. It came into english sometime during the 1600s.

Do any other languages have that sound? All the ones I can think of use J to represent something else e.g French, Spanish, German.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do any other languages have that sound? All the ones I can think of use J to represent something else e.g French, Spanish, German.
I do not know all the languages that have it. Wiki listed a bunch of central European languages that use that sound.

I do know it started in Arabic somewhat prior to the year 1000.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've found the song that I've been looking for:
Nice sound; didn't quite follow the lyrics, but I expect they exist separately someplace.

(I guess it's kind of the rock end of metal rather than hard heavy metal.)

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(I guess it's kind of the rock end of metal rather than hard heavy metal.)

Not even that. Even if you were using as broad a definition of metal as you could it would still be rock and nothing more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last evening I was watching HD Net and a documentary came on called "Inside Metal: The Pioneers of LA Hard Rock and Metal."

It was quite informative. Most of the bands were locals that I had not heard of but seemed quite good. One that I was particularly interested in was called "Sound Barrier." They were all African American which made them quite different and they had a recognition problem. "Why aren't you guys playing blues or funk or soul?"

Anyway, here is a cut from them:

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow...hope this doesnt have triggers..the visuals..almost like the strobe lights in the EEG tests when I was kid...be careful...eek..
I survived..this world is cray..
this is pretty intense if you watch..I could handle LSD better than this before i was a Christian and quit..whoever did the visuals here must be a mind controller....that is intense....what do you think of this Brianna?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow...hope this doesnt have triggers..the visuals..almost like the strobe lights in the EEG tests when I was kid...be careful...eek..
I survived..this world is cray..
Heard the song but not gonna play the vid. Strobe can trigger a migraine, so not fun .....

..I could handle LSD better than this before i was a Christian and quit..whoever did the visuals here must be a mind controller....that is intense....
I have come across music that does the whole LSD tripping thing for me (and I never ever did illicit drugs); but they are not a lot of the songs usually associated with psychedelic drug use.
"Happy Together" and "You Showed Me" by the Turtles come to mind.

Upvote 0