Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He has remembered His covenant forever,
The word which He commanded to a thousand generations,
The covenant which He made with Abraham,
And His oath to Isaac.
— Psalm 105:8-9

A thousand generations is 40000 years. :)

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What was the deciding factor or was it a multiplicity of factors?
Studying God's work alongside reading Dr. Kenneth Gentry, Jr. David Chilton, "On earth as it is in heaven" video, among other things. Revelation 19 was the icing on the cake. That is not a futuristic vision but was going on even at that time. Christ is not waiting until 2-3 millennia later to lead the "host of heaven', i.e. the church to victory. That was going on even in John's day and ongoing as I type this. :)

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He has remembered His covenant forever,
The word which He commanded to a thousand generations,
The covenant which He made with Abraham,
And His oath to Isaac.
— Psalm 105:8-9

A thousand generations is 40000 years. :)

The death blow to dispensationalism. They take the 1,000 in Revelation 20 as a literal 1,000 years(alongside Historic Premillennialism). Yet, they do a complete 180 and say that the thousand generations is not to be taken literally. o_O Talking about a faulty hermeneutic. But that is dispensationalism in a nutshell.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have that on my shelf right now. I want to study paedobaptism as I am seeing some things I am already in agreement with.
For me to accept infant sprinkling I would need to accept it as a sacrament, as the means that causes regeneration, but I cannot accept the current Reformed view.

Lutheranism or orthodox Anglicanism are at least consistent in their theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For me to accept infant sprinkling I would need to accept it as a sacrament, as the means that causes regeneration, but I cannot accept the current Reformed view.

Love your avatar.

• Agree
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Right now the most frustrating thing I’m dealing with in the Eschatology forum is dealing with those who think there are two gospels, and the ones who think that Jesus isn’t king now because “just look at the world”. I post scripture to show it, and it’s ignored because of news stories.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Right now the most frustrating thing I’m dealing with in the Eschatology forum is dealing with those who think there are two gospels, and the ones who think that Jesus isn’t king now because “just look at the world”. I post scripture to show it, and it’s ignored because of news stories.
Myopic faith.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I'm still learning the Presbyterian view of paedobaptism, but AFAIK, they do not see any salvific properties in the baptism, whether it be via immersion, pouring(oddly, Amish do this as the one being poured over with water gets on their knees and they pour water over them, I think while they're in a tub), or sprinkling.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm still learning the Presbyterian view of paedobaptism, but AFAIK, they do not see any salvific properties in the baptism, whether it be via immersion, pouring(oddly, Amish do this as the one being poured over with water gets on their knees and they pour water over them, I think while they're in a tub), or sprinkling.
If paedobaptism is not commanded and not salvific why do it? I would agree that tradition teaches infant baptism as a means of regeneration making the Reformed view odd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If paedobaptism is not commanded and not salvific why do it? I would agree that tradition teaches infant baptism as a means of regeneration making the Reformed view odd.
I think Acts 2:38-39 speaks to it. When you see how Presbyterian Covenant Theology links the OT to the NT, it becomes clearer. I am almost there, just not there yet. It’s really close, just need some more studying.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think Acts 2:38-39 speaks to it. When you see how Presbyterian Covenant Theology links the OT to the NT, it becomes clearer. I am almost there, just not there yet. It’s really close, just need some more studying.

I am familiar with Presbyterian covenantalism and the arguments for paedobaptism I just don't agree with a non regenerating baptism. Acts 2 speaks to who? Paedobaptists miss the qualifier "...to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." The promise is to all the Lord God calls not paternal relationship.

One last question and I'll leave it alone, I have detailed the thread long enough...

If a couple comes to faith in their fifties and they have a child that is 25 would you baptize that 25 year old adult child?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am familiar with Presbyterian covenantalism and the arguments for paedobaptism I just don't agree with a non regenerating baptism. Acts 2 speaks to who? Paedobaptists miss the qualifier "...to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." The promise is to all the Lord God calls not paternal relationship.

One last question and I'll leave it alone, I have detailed the thread long enough...

If a couple comes to faith in their fifties and they have a child that is 25 would you baptize that 25 year old adult child?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I would say no, but I’m just learning all of this and I can’t give a more definitive answer at this time. Maybe you can ask someone who has been a Presbyterian for a longer period of time.

ETA: The reason I say no is because circumcision took place in infancy at eight days old. So that’s why I say no, but again, I need to study this more before I can give a defense for it.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is the Lord your God who will cross ahead of you; He will destroy these nations before you, and you shall dispossess them. Joshua is the one who will cross ahead of you, just as the Lord has spoken.
— Deuteronomy 31:3

#DatPostmil

Upvote 0