provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
HI. I'm making this thread to better understand what normal people do when they grow up :) I can still dream. Just a few questions for those of us who are married people here...

1) When did you get married?
2) How long have you been together?
3) How did you meet?
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything?
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now)
6) What would you change about the other person?

7) Anything else you want to add!

aaand go

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI. I'm making this thread to better understand what normal people do when they grow up :) I can still dream. Just a few questions for those of us who are married people here...

3) How did you meet?
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything?
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now)

aaand go

1. A few years ago.
2. About 5-6 months before getting married.
3. Dating site.
4. Not really. I am the only Christian in the relationship. We can talk about most everything with varying degrees of tension when it veers into religion or hurt feelings. But generally we do talk a lot.
5. No. My husband is not, so far as I know, that interested in spiritual questions. I sure would love to have those kind of conversations! But I can talk to him about my spiritual journey w/out too much issue. He does go to church with me on occasion, but reminds me he's not praying. It's not ideal, but not terrible either.
6. Nothing, I guess. I mean, I'd love for us both to be healed of our emotional woundedness and to grow up some, and I'd love for us to be spiritually united, but I'm living life as-is for now. Other than these things, I feel everything is ok.
7. i could hardly give advice. good luck finding a spouse!

• Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) When did you get married? 60 years ago.
2) How long have you been together? 60 years.
3) How did you meet? In a restaurant.
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? Yes and No. It is important for me not to be overbearing. Pleasant, kind, considerate, yes.
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) Well ..... not for "hours" at one time.
6) What would you change about the other person? Her worrisome thoughts about children, grandchildren, etc. Just thank God for them.

7) I don't advise "staying up for hours" in any situation.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) When did you get married? 7 years ago
2) How long have you been together? 9 years
3) How did you meet? Through mutual friends
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? We are both Christian, and we pray together and talk about all kinds of things, including religious topics. My husband has helped me grow in my faith a great deal.
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) Earlier in our relationship we talked about spiritual/philosophical things more. Now we are more busy and have more responsibilities, so there is less of that. Relationships change over time.
6) What would you change about the other person? The only thing I'd change is for him to be more rested and less stressed.
7) Anything else you want to add! Not really, just wondering why you are asking these questions. :)

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

3) How did you meet?

aaand go

1) 1969
2) 49 years
3) My wife was running the campaign for Eugene McCarthy and I stopped by
4) Yes and yes and yes
5) We're usually too tired at night so we normally discuss spiritual things at breakfast and sometimes during the day
6) Nothing
7) Not really

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1) When did you get married? 1997

2) How long have you been together? Married 20 years. Known each other for 23.

3) How did you meet? Church choir.

4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? Yes to all.

5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) As a general rule, no. We do have those conversations regularly, but they are shorter and more frequent and at various times of day. It's more of a lifestyle, not an event. The few times we have had intense spiritual discussion event late at night has been in response to a family crisis (kid hospitalized for suicidal ideation; later, same kid, middle of the night salvation experience; that sort of thing).

6) What would you change about the other person? Oh, there are days I can complain, but honestly, in the overall scheme of things, not much really. He's pretty awesome.

7) Anything else you want to add! Not really sure what you're wanting to learn from this Q&A or for what purpose.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
7) Anything else you want to add! Not really, just wondering why you are asking these questions. :)

For the most part, I'm wondering if Christians typically end up marrying others of the faith. Judging by the responses here, it seems about 50/50.

7) Anything else you want to add! Not really sure what you're wanting to learn from this Q&A or for what purpose.

Need more data to adjust expectations to better fit reality :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First off - this thread should be in the sub-folder on questions from singles. Only married folk can post in this folder. So you should ask a mod to move it.

1) When did you get married? Sept 1977
2) How long have you been together? Married almost 40 years. Knew each other 3 years before that.
3) How did you meet? Introduced by her youth pastor's wife.
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? Yes and yes.
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) There have been a few seasons of that, but not many and they were fairly short.
6) What would you change about the other person? That the abuse she experienced as a child would not have happened.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

About 4 years living together.

3) How did you meet?

Internet virtual world.

We go to church together and sometimes pray an office together. We are currently sharing some devotional reading through an audiobook. We're trying to get back in the habit of thanksgiving over meals. But a lot of our prayer life is separate, we close our doors and pray.

Yes

Nothing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honesty-SJ

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
✟26,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

3) How did you meet?

aaand go

1. 9 months and 8 days after meeting, to be exact. Lol.

2. 3 years 8 months

3. I text the wrong number and he started joking around with me. I went with the flow and we decided to meet in person.

4. I would say yes but I would add that I was not a Christian when we met but am now. I was open and interested which made my husband's job easy so he taught me everything he knows, which is 11 years worth of studying scripture, apologetics/theology. It allows for me to ask questions and receive an answer no matter the topic, which is fantastic because I've sometimes had many. He and I are like bread and butter. We are perfect for each other and talk about everything. We're the type to finish each other's sentences and even make the same expressions and tones of voices depending on what is being said, lol.

5. I would say that is honestly about 90% of our relationship all the years we've been together. He loves to talk, I love to listen and vice versa. The majority of my husband's interests are the aforementioned topics, therefore if we did not discuss such things, we would have very few or rather dull encounters.

6. Nothing. Besides, only God has the power to change a person but there is nothing I would request.

7. It's good to dream. I always did as a little girl and God blessed me even before my life was spent following Him so I am forever thankful. A spouse is a beautiful gift so if you are not married, I'd encourage it. There is nothing more revealing of every quality God has and expects from us than when you have another to spend life with! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

puregrl

Jun 7, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2013...though it feels like we have been together much longer, in a good way
since 2012
3) How did you meet?
online, on Christian Mingle
We do. We frequently talk about what we heard on our bible study that day. We also talk about anything, difficult or easy, that comes to mind. He is my best friend.
We actually have not done this. We frequently talk about our relationship, where we want to be in 5, 10, or 30 years from now, and what we individually want to accomplish with our lives.
I would make his eating habits different and more open to new things...which he has improved since I met him.
marriage rules!

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) When did you get married? 2002
2) How long have you been together? 16 years (1 yr dating/engaged)
3) How did you meet? At College. I was putting my shoes on after playing volleyball and she was standing near me. I was on my knee so I asked her jokingly to marry me, a year and 1 week later we said "I do".
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? Yes, we met at a Christian university and prayed every night before going home/bed. The years have taken a bit of spirituality from us, and given much back. Even after 15 years it can be hard to talk about anything/everything, but yes, we would overcome anything together.
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) Yes, regularly.
6) What would you change about the other person? Not a single thing!

7) Anything else you want to add! Pray more! You can always pray more with your spouse. I know that this is an area of spiritual leadership that I fail in.

• Agree
Reactions: Symph
Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1) When did you get married? 12 years ago
2) How long have you been together? Many years acquainted, 16 as a "couple"
3) How did you meet? High school
4) Do you have a rich spiritual life with your significant other and do you both acknowledge Christ every day? Do you feel you can talk to this person about anything and everything? Yes, we tend to discuss everything that comes to our minds. And if we run out of things to talk about, we resort to discussing "what ifs." We are Christians who feel very blessed by God, but we don't talk about it fervently like many couples do.
5) Have you ever stayed up for hours contemplating spiritual questions and the spiritual quality of your life together? (this is something I'm pinning for right now) It depends on what you mean. We are a bit "left brained" and sometimes find others' discussion of spirituality to be perplexing.
6) What would you change about the other person? I don't think I would change anything. If we are unsatisfied with something, we are pretty hasty to change it. Unless it's external and beyond our control... then I stress out because I can't do anything, and he relaxes because he doesn't have to do anything.

7) Anything else you want to add! Rather than asking if something is "fair," ask whether you've taken on as big a share of the responsibility as you can. It's so natural to overestimate your contribution in a marriage, and underestimate your spouse's. So do absolutely everything *you* can before demanding anything from them. If you have, then go ahead and be firm in your requests.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,143.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Married
February 7, 2015

Since late June 2014

3) How did you meet?
I messaged him on an online dating site and we met in person the next day

I can talk to him about everything. He wasn't a Christian when we met. I started taking a theology class in January.

No

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved to the Questions From Singles About Marriage forum.
Please note and abide by the SOP of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: Symph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
3) How did you meet?

1. We got married October 1998
2. We've been together 20-some years
3. We met at work
4. I'm not sure what you're asking here...in terms of seeing God in our lives, oh yes, every day. My husband is probably my best friend...he puts up with my weirdness and I put up with his. We love to laugh together.
5. No...we talk about spiritual things often but not hours and hours...
6. I'd like to give him some of my extra weight...he's thin and I'm not...
7. What is the purpose of your questions?

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

3) How did you meet?

aaand go
1) 10 years ago
2) 15 years
3) College.
4) No. We are not religious. And yes, we do talk about everything.
5) No. We are not religious. We do spend hours discussing various existential topics.
6) I wish she was less anxious and a little more outdoorsy.
7) Spiritual partners and intimates/confidants are not the same thing.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1) Married 43 years ago
2) Met 2 years before we married
3) She was best friend of a former girlfriend.
4) No. We have common faith background, but she no longer actively participates in organized religion. Yes, I can talk to her about anything and everything.
5) No to staying up late contemplating spiritual matters or the spiritual nature of our life together.
6) If I changed the other person, I supposed she would not be the other person; she would be somebody else. We have differences obviously, including faith practices, but we accept and tolerate our differences. Would I like her to have the same spiritual practice? Sure, but I don't require it.
7) Nothing else to add.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

3) How did you meet?

aaand go
1. Married 25 years.
2. Started dating 27 years ago.
3. Her mother and my father knew each other professionally and they tried to get us together for a long time. We were eventually in between people and we gave in.
4. Yes. We are on the same page, spiritually. She has a greater scriptural knowledge, but there have never been any disagreements on the subject. We pray together at least 5 nights per week. I will say I'm more about disclosure than she is, but the things she isn't forthright about are usually negative things about her family that she knows I have problems with.
5. I can't say we have. If we did, it was a long time ago and not often.
6. I would like it if she was more concise and less drastic. I am quiet, not verbose and flat in affect. It's not a huge deal, but still causes minor problems.
7. I KNOW how blessed I am to be with her. She is my best friend and I can honestly say that I put her above myself.

I wish everyone could have what I have in a spouse.

Upvote 0