Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Note: This thread EXCLUDES any Debate about the Sabbath. Since this forum is also for discussing the Laws of God here is a place for that.

Some argue that the Law is done away with. For those who believe that please state (1) 'Old Testament' Law and why it should not be followed today. Then state which of the greatest commandments, spoken of by Jesus it falls under. (Refer to Matthew 22: 36-40)

Please be aware that some may be disqualified as they have stipulations attached such as they must be performed in the land of Israel or it pertains to the Priests and the Tabernacle/Temple.

I'll start with one most of us can agree upon.

From Deut. 22​

8 “When you build a new house, then you shall make a parapet* for your roof, that you may not bring guilt of bloodshed on your household if anyone falls from it.​

*A parapet is a barrier that is an extension of the wall at the edge of a roof, terrace, balcony, walkway or other structure.
Some would say this is common sense but others would think only of themselves and not want to go to the expense because they figure that they would be careful.
This law is about loving your neighbor as yourself. Others may not see the edge depending on the time of day, weather conditions, etc. Then there's children, animals that also could come to danger if this is not followed.

It most definitely should still be followed today.

Reactions: daq

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note: This thread EXCLUDES any Debate about the Sabbath. Since this forum is also for discussing the Laws of God here is a place for that.

Some argue that the Law is done away with. For those who believe that please state (1) 'Old Testament' Law and why it should not be followed today. Then state which of the greatest commandments, spoken of by Jesus it falls under. (Refer to Matthew 22: 36-40)

Please be aware that some may be disqualified as they have stipulations attached such as they must be performed in the land of Israel or it pertains to the Priests and the Tabernacle/Temple.

From Deut. 22​

8 “When you build a new house, then you shall make a parapet* for your roof, that you may not bring guilt of bloodshed on your household if anyone falls from it.​

*A parapet is a barrier that is an extension of the wall at the edge of a roof, terrace, balcony, walkway or other structure.
Some would say this is common sense but others would think only of themselves and not want to go to the expense because they figure that they would be careful.
This law is about loving your neighbor as yourself. Others may not see the edge depending on the time of day, weather conditions, etc. Then there's children, animals that also could come to danger if this is not followed.

And do you want people to then discuss the laws that are posted? Or just post them and move on.

Like, can I ask you questions about the parapet law?

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
And do you want people to then discuss the laws that are posted? Or just post them and move on.

Like, can I ask you questions about the parapet law?
Hi, thanks for joining in.

We can do both. Post a law as above and if you think it should still be in effect today. Also what Greatest commandment it falls under, Loving God or Loving your neighbor.

:)

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, thanks for joining in.

We can do both. Post a law as above and if you think it should still be in effect today. Also what Greatest commandment it falls under, Loving God or Loving your neighbor.

:)
Okay, cool!

I don't think the parapet law should be followed today, at least strictly as written. When it was written, they probably thought of houses like this
mudbrick1_grande.jpg

And then it makes sense. People spend a lot of time on those roofs, as I understand. Also, looks like the top of the stairway could use a parapet as well.

But on a modern house like this, it doesn't make sense imo.
mcmansions-inner-space-hero-tcm138-2163139.jpg

No one should be up on a roof like that except professionals who have the proper safety equipment (though most don't wear it).

And it definitely wouldn't need to be done on an A-frame.
mountain-style-a-frame-cabin-by-todd-gordon-mather-architect-7.jpg

A person would probably be injured more by a parapet than by rolling onto the ground.

So those are my thoughts regarding that law. Looking forward to a great discussion!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

From Deut. 22​

The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of God's law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), and it could not accurately be described as such if it were not God's instructions for how to testify about those aspects of His nature. By testifying about aspects of God nature in obedience to His law, we are expressing our love for those aspects of who God is, which is why there are many verses in both the OT and the NT that connect our love for God with our obedience to His commandments. We should live in a way that testifies about the nature of God as accurately as we can and avoid living in a way that bears false witness against the nature of who He is. For example, God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of His righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so the only way that we should no longer follow a law that testifies about God's righteousness is if God is no longer eternally righteous.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, cool!

I don't think the parapet law should be followed today, at least strictly as written. When it was written, they probably thought of houses like this
mudbrick1_grande.jpg

And then it makes sense. People spend a lot of time on those roofs, as I understand. Also, looks like the top of the stairway could use a parapet as well.

But on a modern house like this, it doesn't make sense imo.
mcmansions-inner-space-hero-tcm138-2163139.jpg

No one should be up on a roof like that except professionals who have the proper safety equipment (though most don't wear it).

And it definitely wouldn't need to be done on an A-frame.
mountain-style-a-frame-cabin-by-todd-gordon-mather-architect-7.jpg

A person would probably be injured more by a parapet than by rolling onto the ground.

So those are my thoughts regarding that law. Looking forward to a great discussion!
You're right, they did have flat roofed houses back the but when this commandment was given they were living in tents........:) So I would say as you have demonstrated by your photos certain buildings would not need or accommodate them but if a building were built with a flat roof, one would be needed. And there are many commercial buildings in existence today with flat roofs, many older buildings for sure but still in existence. Many don't have parapets and people have fallen off.

Here's a home that could certainly use some

20-3-1024x691.jpg

And here's one that has them, done tastefully in glass or plexiglass.

th

I haven't checked but many municipalities probably have something in their building codes about this.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're right, they did have flat roofed houses back the but when this commandment was given they were living in tents........:) So I would say as you have demonstrated by your photos certain buildings would not need or accommodate them but if a building were built with a flat roof, one would be needed. And there are many commercial buildings in existence today with flat roofs, many older buildings for sure but still in existence. Many don't have parapets and people have fallen off.

Here's a home that could certainly use some

20-3-1024x691.jpg

And here's one that has them, done tastefully in glass or plexiglass.

th

I haven't checked but many municipalities probably have something in their building codes about this.
Well, I believe the law you quoted says When you build a new house...

So it wouldn't matter where they were living in any particular moment, it's anytime they build a new house.

But I agree that many modern buildings need parapets for safety.

If it's up to us to decide when a house qualifies as needing a safety barrier or not, then I would call that a loose application of the law.

In which case I agree. If the law is applied loosely, then I believe we will benefit from keeping all of it.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

From Deut. 22​

The law points to a deeper meaning and it is that meaning we should follow today. The letter of the law however is not our focus but the deeper meanings.

For example there are various mixing laws like mixing threads, grains, dietary laws fall in this as well and many more. This falls within clean/unclean or holy/unholy, pure/impure, etc... (Which is a large theme in the law) The point is to show how Israel was God's chosen set apart people and they were to stay separate and not mix with other cultures. Today it takes on a more spiritual meaning, God's people is not limited to Israel but instead released to all. We still are called to stay set apart but don't need to worry about mixing our grains and threads any more.

The focus is not the law. The law points to these things but it does so in very physical concrete ways and we don't keep those specific conditions but the physical is the point of the law. Before the law the same things existed and people were still called to be set apart. There is a redeemed line under Seth that shows this from Adam to Noah. the Messiah was also still set to come, prophecied when God said "Let there be light". this tells us the law itself is not universal but rather based on a more universal construct that law is built on. The law manifests these constructs in very physical and concrete ways and they continue to echo the same things before it. for the season of the law physical was the point, it's just not our focus now.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I believe the law you quoted says When you build a new house...

So it wouldn't matter where they were living in any particular moment, it's anytime they build a new house.

But I agree that many modern buildings need parapets for safety.

If it's up to us to decide when a house qualifies as needing a safety barrier or not, then I would call that a loose application of the law.

In which case I agree. If the law is applied loosely, then I believe we will benefit from keeping all of it.
I think it would also apply if you inherit or buy a house and it needs one you should add it.

Here is another translation

"When you build a new house, you must build a low wall around your roof; otherwise someone may fall from it, and you will be responsible for his death.

That sounds even more weighty to be held responsible for his death, with God not necessarily man. Today people just get insurance and hope that suffices. But I personally think that disregards loving your neighbor.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The law points to a deeper meaning and it is that meaning we should follow today. The letter of the law however is not our focus but the deeper meanings.
This thread is to post a law and discuss if it is still pertinent today. And the second part is to determine under which of the two greatest Laws that Jesus stated it falls (or hangs on).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it would also apply if you inherit or buy a house and it needs one you should add it.

Here is another translation

"When you build a new house, you must build a low wall around your roof; otherwise someone may fall from it, and you will be responsible for his death.

That sounds even more weighty to be held responsible for his death, with God not necessarily man. Today people just get insurance and hope that suffices. But I personally think that disregards loving your neighbor.
Sounds great! And if we can expand the law to include an already built building that we take possession of, that sounds to me like the idea of binding and loosing that Jesus talked about.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is to post a law and discuss if it is still pertinent today. And the second part is to determine under which of the two greatest Laws that Jesus stated it falls (or hangs on).
So just making an observation here,

You respond to DamianWarS's post #8, apparently to keep the thread on track, but not to Soyeong's post #5.
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 6 - New International Version

I think that commandment would hang on loving God. (I'm not sure that the two greatest commandments can actually be separated.)

I think it applies today in a loose sense. And I think this thread is great because we are talking about the law as we go on our way. I don't think we actually have to write all 700 or 800 laws on our door posts.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure, but phrased like that makes it seem loaded.

Lev 19:19
Keep my decrees.
“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals.
“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

These are separation laws and their purpose is to echo a value of keeping God chosen people separate and not influenced/corrupted by outside sources as mating different kinds of animals, or mixing seed, or blending thread does.

The letter of the law does not need to be kept any more. We are free to make mules, plant different kinds of seeds and have cotton-polyester blends.

This is a "love your God" type law as the deeper meaning is about holiness and being called set apart. We don't need to keep the letter but the deeper meaning is still relevant as God still sets us apart. The law's purpose in this regard is to remind us of this through concrete and physical means and it then points to a charge under God to be called set apart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

From Deut. 22​

Today there is something called a Widow's walk on the roofs of some homes ... same idea - it has railing.
2cc3628716cb01fd585808786a782a8f.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But I will take one that you mentioned and we could discuss that. :)

For example there are various mixing laws like mixing threads, grains, dietary laws fall in this as well and many more. This falls within clean/unclean or holy/unholy, pure/impure, etc... (Which is a large theme in the law) The point is to show how Israel was God's chosen set apart people and they were to stay separate and not mix with other cultures.
I agree a big theme of Torah is separateness, do you know why that is and how it goes back to the beginning?
Clean and unclean are not really the same but that's another whole set of laws.

The laws of kilayim (basically understood as mixtures) concern the following.

1. Not to plant mixtures of seeds
  2. Not to graft trees of different species together
  3. Not to plant grape seeds with other kinds of seeds.
  4. Not to crossbreed animals
  5. Not to harness two animals from different species together to work
  6. Not to wear a garment made of wool and linen
The first three are attached to the land therefore we won't discuss them here. But that doesn't mean it can't be followed in other lands. You might want to think about why these were given. There is a much deeper meaning and I don't mean spiritual, but more biological, environmental as well as other sciences.

#4 'Do Not Crossbreed one kind of animal with another' - Who can improve on what the LORD God created?
To do so goes against the creation. This also goes back to the beginning before Noah's time.

#5 This has to do mostly with holy and profane, clean and unclean so we won't go into that either.

#6 - Mixing fibers - Many use this as a weapon which is a shame.
It's not about "mixing threads" it is a specific law regarding not cotton, rayon, silk, spandex, etc.
It is about Wool and Linen specifically called 'Shatnez'.
Things we can extrapolate from this:

• Wool comes from an animal, a clean animal
  • Linen comes from Flax, a plant used for holy garments
  • A sheep is used for sacrifices
  • Linen garments are used for the priests garments

But I believe there is much more.

However it is interesting to note that ONLY the High Priest wore garments of shatnez.
He was the only one who was allowed this. These garments were actually considered as part of the Tabernacle articles. But they might have had another function for the High Priest as well. The only time he did not wear these garments containing shatnez was on Yom Kippur.
This was the only day of the year he came into the presence of the Holy God in the Holy of Holies.

Now to get a bit deeper it has been studied and concerns the ark of the covenant. This was considered Gods throne on earth. There were specific laws regarding how it was to be handled. Even Aaron (or any High Priest) was not to touch it. ON Yom Kippur he sprinkled blood upon it but still did not touch it.

There is the story of Uzzah. King David wanted to bring the Ark to the House of David but along the way one of the men who were driving the cart the ark sat upon reached out to keep it from falling off the cart when the oxen stumbled. The text says that the LORD reached out and struck him, or killed him because he was angry.

Firstly reading this story calls to mind that this wasn't fair. Uzzah was only trying to keep the Holy Ark from hitting the ground so shouldn't have been punished by this. This is our understanding, but not Gods (Read Proverbs 3:5-6). There was a law that the ark needed to be carried on the shoulders of the priests, holding onto the rods only, not to be on a wooden cart, new or not. So this law was not followed.

Some say he was struck by lightening which is usually considered God striking someone.

But where did that come from?

There are those who believe that the ark had certain physical properties that allowed for the communication and presence of the LORD to be among the people.

Some believe it had electrical properties.

Now getting back to the shatnez the mixing of linen and wool specifically.

Linen has a frequency signature of 5000MhZ
Wool has a frequency signature of 5000MhZ

Now it can be seen where wearing something with both will cancel each out. Now the shatnez that was worn by the High priest also included gold, same as what the ark was made from.

So what does that mean? I haven't fully studied this but I would say that the reasoning is related to the properties of the materials in the mishkan. Now today it would also hold health reasons for us.

It's said that the healthy human body has a frequency of 100MhZ
A Doctor back in 2013 stated that wearing anything under that would compromise the wellness of the human body.

organic Cotton comes in at 100 and polyester 10.
100 is the number for a healthy body. Anything less puts a strain on the body.
And ill body is around 15 and that is the same signature as Polyester, rayon and silk.
The higher the number of frequency the more energy it gives the body energy. Under 100 depletes it.
This is where linen comes in as a super-fabric. Its frequency is 5,000. Wool is also 5,000, but when mixed together with linen, the frequencies cancel each other out and fall to zero. Even wearing a wool sweater on top of a linen outfit in a study collapsed the electrical field. The reason for this could be that the energy field of wool flows from left to right, while that of linen flows in the opposite direction, from right to left.
"Dr. Philip Callahan, a noted physician and researcher, was able to prove the existence of this energy using plant leaves attached to an oscilloscope. About six months ago, he visited me in California and showed me a new development. He had discovered that flax cloth, as suggested in the Books of Moses [the Torah or Pentatuch], acts as an antenna for the energy. He found that when the pure flax cloth was put over a wound or local pain, it greatly accelerated the healing process. He was also using the flax seed cloth as a sophisticated antenna for his oscilloscope. This is the instrument that he uses to determine the energy of flax."

And not only did the priests wear this fabric, it is described in Revelation that the saints will also be wearing this type garment. Just as the High priest wore it when in the presence of God, so shall we.
Today it takes on a more spiritual meaning, God's people is not limited to Israel but instead released to all. We still are called to stay set apart but don't need to worry about mixing our grains and threads any more.
I think I showed above that it is still relevant today, if for nothing to show our creator doesn't just give crazy rules to follow but all for our well being.

The focus is not the law. The law points to these things but it does so in very physical concrete ways and we don't keep those specific conditions but the physical is the point of the law. Before the law the same things existed and people were still called to be set apart.
This is what God said about his laws.
'I gave them My statutes and informed them of My ordinances, by which, if a man observes them, he will live.' - Ezekiel

So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them; I am the Lord. - Leviticus

• Informative
Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who can improve on what the LORD God created?
I'm not sure about an improvement, but mules can do things that neither donkeys nor horses can do. A mule can carry more than a donkey, and is less stubborn, I think. But a mule can walk on a narrower path than a horse, again I think.

When I was a kid, we took a trail ride in a national park where they used mules because of those advantages.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree a big theme of Torah is separateness, do you know why that is and how it goes back to the beginning?

The first three are attached to the land therefore we won't discuss them here. But that doesn't mean it can't be followed in other lands. You might want to think about why these were given. There is a much deeper meaning and I don't mean spiritual, but more biological, environmental as well as other sciences.

#4 'Do Not Crossbreed one kind of animal with another' - Who can improve on what the LORD God created?
To do so goes against the creation. This also goes back to the beginning before Noah's time.

#5 This has to do mostly with holy and profane, clean and unclean so we won't go into that either.

It's not about "mixing threads" it is a specific law regarding not cotton, rayon, silk, spandex, etc.

However it is interesting to note that ONLY the High Priest wore garments of shatnez.
He was the only one who was allowed this. These garments were actually considered as part of the Tabernacle articles. But they might have had another function for the High Priest as well. The only time he did not wear these garments containing shatnez was on Yom Kippur.
This was the only day of the year he came into the presence of the Holy God in the Holy of Holies.

Now to get a bit deeper it has been studied and concerns the ark of the covenant. This was considered Gods throne on earth. There were specific laws regarding how it was to be handled. Even Aaron (or any High Priest) was not to touch it. ON Yom Kippur he sprinkled blood upon it but still did not touch it.

There is the story of Uzzah. King David wanted to bring the Ark to the House of David but along the way one of the men who were driving the cart the ark sat upon reached out to keep it from falling off the cart when the oxen stumbled. The text says that the LORD reached out and struck him, or killed him because he was angry.

Firstly reading this story calls to mind that this wasn't fair. Uzzah was only trying to keep the Holy Ark from hitting the ground so shouldn't have been punished by this. This is our understanding, but not Gods (Read Proverbs 3:5-6). There was a law that the ark needed to be carried on the shoulders of the priests, holding onto the rods only, not to be on a wooden cart, new or not. So this law was not followed.

Some say he was struck by lightening which is usually considered God striking someone.

There are those who believe that the ark had certain physical properties that allowed for the communication and presence of the LORD to be among the people.

Now it can be seen where wearing something with both will cancel each out. Now the shatnez that was worn by the High priest also included gold, same as what the ark was made from.

So what does that mean? I haven't fully studied this but I would say that the reasoning is related to the properties of the materials in the mishkan. Now today it would also hold health reasons for us.

A Doctor back in 2013 stated that wearing anything under that would compromise the wellness of the human body.

And ill body is around 15 and that is the same signature as Polyester, rayon and silk.
The higher the number of frequency the more energy it gives the body energy. Under 100 depletes it.
This is where linen comes in as a super-fabric. Its frequency is 5,000. Wool is also 5,000, but when mixed together with linen, the frequencies cancel each other out and fall to zero. Even wearing a wool sweater on top of a linen outfit in a study collapsed the electrical field. The reason for this could be that the energy field of wool flows from left to right, while that of linen flows in the opposite direction, from right to left.
"Dr. Philip Callahan, a noted physician and researcher, was able to prove the existence of this energy using plant leaves attached to an oscilloscope. About six months ago, he visited me in California and showed me a new development. He had discovered that flax cloth, as suggested in the Books of Moses [the Torah or Pentatuch], acts as an antenna for the energy. He found that when the pure flax cloth was put over a wound or local pain, it greatly accelerated the healing process. He was also using the flax seed cloth as a sophisticated antenna for his oscilloscope. This is the instrument that he uses to determine the energy of flax."

And not only did the priests wear this fabric, it is described in Revelation that the saints will also be wearing this type garment. Just as the High priest wore it when in the presence of God, so shall we.
I think I showed above that it is still relevant today, if for nothing to show our creator doesn't just give crazy rules to follow but all for our well being.

'I gave them My statutes and informed them of My ordinances, by which, if a man observes them, he will live.' - Ezekiel

So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them; I am the Lord. - Leviticus
The situation of the fabric blends sounds interesting with the energy. But imo the first issue is that there are two different references, one law in Leviticus and one in Deuteronomy, IIRC.

The one in Leviticus just says don't wear a mixed fabric, the one in Deuteronomy says not to wear linen and wool together. So are these two separate laws? Or do we assume that the Deuteronomy law explains the Leviticus law, meaning that the Leviticus law only applies to linen and wool?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm sure you know most of your post is based on a lot of speculation. The law has immense value and directly relates to how we should live today. But where the law was physical, today it is more abstract. Perhaps it is best not to combine linen and wool based on their frequencies they emit but this is not a value today and we are free to do so without condemnation. Did you consider the high priest wore the mix thread because ultimately God is not cut off from anyone? so although he calls us to be set apart he doesn't set himself apart from others.

I approach the law through the lens of Christ, without that lens the minutiae of details may have some interests but are meaningless without the connect back to God. You've connected me with the former (minutiae) not the latter (God).

Deitary laws are another one. I'm sure you could write pages on the physical benefits of the dietary law. But God himself unpacks the greater meaning to Peter and it is actually not about food at all it's about the outpouring of God's spirit.

The food aspect is the physical part and yes, I'm sure it had physical benefit just as you have unpacked about the linen/wool blend having physical benefit. But we miss the point when all we do is search for the physical. If anything it shows us without Christ the law can only give us a physical product.

God himself shows us the deeper meaning, even if the physical has physical benefit it is still set up to echo the spiritual meaning which is the greater meaning of it all and the point of the law. We should be having a discussion about the spiritual depth of the law and not the physical depth or the spiritual benefit not the physical benefit.

1 Tim 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Paul here makes a distinction/separation of the physical from the spiritual and he is not holding the two together. Although the physical does have value it does not have benefit that extends into the life to come. The law by itself can only give us physical products, good as they may be, our focus should be on the greater meaning of the law that's beyond the physical. Christ says to Nicodemus in John 3:6 "Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." so if we look at only the flesh/physical aspects of the law all it will give birth to is the flesh/physical. But if we look at the greater spiritual meaning they will give birth to greater spiritual products.

I really have no interest in knowing the physical benefits of the law except only to point to Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

For example there are various mixing laws like mixing threads, grains, dietary laws fall in this as well and many more. This falls within clean/unclean or holy/unholy, pure/impure, etc... (Which is a large theme in the law) The point is to show how Israel was God's chosen set apart people and they were to stay separate and not mix with other cultures. Today it takes on a more spiritual meaning, God's people is not limited to Israel but instead released to all. We still are called to stay set apart but don't need to worry about mixing our grains and threads any more.

The focus is not the law. The law points to these things but it does so in very physical concrete ways and we don't keep those specific conditions but the physical is the point of the law. Before the law the same things existed and people were still called to be set apart. There is a redeemed line under Seth that shows this from Adam to Noah. the Messiah was also still set to come, prophecied when God said "Let there be light". this tells us the law itself is not universal but rather based on a more universal construct that law is built on. The law manifests these constructs in very physical and concrete ways and they continue to echo the same things before it. for the season of the law physical was the point, it's just not our focus now.

There are more ways to do what is righteous or sinful than what God's law specifically prescribes or prohibits, but God's law is spiritual in that it has always been intended to teach of deeper spiritual principles of which the listed laws are just examples, and which are aspects of God's nature. For example, God's righteous laws teach us about a principle of righteousness that leads us to take physical actions that testify about God's righteousness in accordance with what His law instructs, and even leads us to take actions that are examples of that principle in situations that are not specifically prescribes or prohibited by God's law. Correctly understanding a spiritual principle will never lead us away from taking actions that are examples of that principle, for example, if someone thinks that they've understood the spiritual principle of love, so they no longer need to focus on taking physical actions that express love for their neighbor, then they would be missing the point.

The way that we live testifies about what we believe to be true about the nature of God, and as children of God, our goal should be to testify about His nature as accurately as we can by obeying His law. For example, in 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to have a holy conduct for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to do that, such as by refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so by following those instructions we are testifying about His holiness while by not following those instructions is bearing false witness against God by representing Him as not being holy. The only way that we should no longer following God's laws for how to have a holy conduct as He is holy is if God is no longer eternally holy. When we testify about God's holiness in obedience to His law, we are expressing our love for His holiness, while someone who does not have a holy conduct in obedience to it is expressing that holiness is an aspect of God's nature that they do not love, and if God were not holy, then it would make no difference to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0