Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
NASA now has evidence and proof Mars is not completely dry and in fact used to have a lot more liquid water than it does now. How do they know? By actually finding such water on the planet, as well as ice in what looks like a mostly dried up lake. At least one river has been found. Even an underground lake was discovered years later. This is why NASA geologists are not giving up on the possibility Mars might have sedimentary rocks, fossils, or anything else showing life was previously on the planet. What do you think?

Reactions: SLP

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It has been known for 50 years that Mars has polar ice, and it's been theorized that it melts or sublimes during the summers. Remember that the first NASA lander on Mars was 'way back in 1977.

However, Mars has always had only 1/3 the mass of Earth to retain atmosphere, and Mars has always received only 1/4 of the solar heating of Earth to energize chemical processes, and Mars has never had a life-protecting magnetosphere of Earth.

Mars may have some of the most simple forms of life, but it never had enough water, heat, or atmosphere to have reached something like Earth's Cambrian period.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and Mars has never had a life-protecting magnetosphere of Earth.

That isn't correct. It used to have one according to scientists:

What is the Atmosphere Like on Mars? - Universe Today

"Scientist believe that the atmosphere of Mars is so negligible because the planet lost its magnetosphere about 4 billion years ago. A magnetosphere would channel the solar wind around the planet. Without one, the solar wind interacts directly with the ionosphere stripping away atoms, lowering the density of the atmosphere. These ionized particles have been detected by multiple spacecraft as they trial off into space behind Mars."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NASA now has evidence and proof Mars is not completely dry and in fact used to have a lot more liquid water than it does now. How do they know? By actually finding such water on the planet, as well as ice in what looks like a mostly dried up lake. At least one river has been found. Even an underground lake was discovered years later. This is why NASA geologists are not giving up on the possibility Mars might have sedimentary rocks, fossils, or anything else showing life was previously on the planet. What do you think?

No one even has a theory as to why life would develop naturally.
And there is no evidence backing that it should or would.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A waste of money going to NASA that does not benefit the people that live on Earth.

You mean nobody working at NASA has a paid job with good benefits? Think about that for a minute. The Mars researchers are not volunteers.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You mean nobody working at NASA has a paid job with good benefits? Think about that for a minute. The Mars researchers are not volunteers.

There are universities in California that recognizes twenty-one genders, with professors who teach them in their Gender Studies. I'm sure they have a good paying job with benefits, but what they teach necessary?

• Winner
Reactions: Gregory95
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Mars Exploration does not benefit anyone but feed our speculation...

If that was true, you could also say the same thing about Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldron walking on part of Earth's moon - an event that was widely celebrated 50 years later.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you say that for jonaitis? You know that is a lie and Christians are not allowed to lie.

I'll have to find where I heard that, but it could possibly be false. Still, you get my point?

If that was true, you could also say the same thing about Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldron walking on part of Earth's moon - an event that was widely celebrated 50 years later.

While that was significant event in American History (since no other country in the world ever manned the moon before and after), I could care less if it ever occurred.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'll have to find where I heard that, but it could possibly be false. Still, you get my point?

Your point does not matter one bit if you don't say it in a truthful way.
While that was significant event in American History (since no other country in the world ever manned the moon before and after), I could care less if it ever occurred.

So you obviously do care about it - or are lying again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mars Exploration does not benefit anyone but feed our speculation...

Space exploration technological development can and does have ancillary benefits as is discussed in the Wikipedia article I linked you.

So you'll forgive me if I don't accept your arbitrary pronouncement on the subject.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,173.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyway, so does anybody think conclusions of NASA Mars studies are sufficient to demonstrate it was like Earth at one point?

The Martian time-scale is divided into the Noachian, Hesperian and Amazonian eras. The Noachian Era lasted from about 4570 million years to about 3500 million years. During this time Mars is thought to have been volcanically active and to have had both a dense atmosphere and oceans or lakes. As a result, there was massive hydrological transport, with deposition of sediments. There was also intense impact cratering, which formed the great basins of Hellas and Argyre.

According to this description, Noachian Mars was probably more like the Hadean or Archaean Earth than it is now, but that does not necessarily mean that it was hospitable to life or that life could have originated there. Even in Noachian times, Mars was very unlike the present-day Earth.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RDKirk said:
and Mars has never had a life-protecting magnetosphere of Earth.

That isn't correct. It used to have one according to scientists:

What is the Atmosphere Like on Mars? - Universe Today

"Scientist believe that the atmosphere of Mars is so negligible because the planet lost its magnetosphere about 4 billion years ago. A magnetosphere would channel the solar wind around the planet. Without one, the solar wind interacts directly with the ionosphere stripping away atoms, lowering the density of the atmosphere. These ionized particles have been detected by multiple spacecraft as they trial off into space behind Mars."

What I said was correct. Four billion years ago, there was no life on Earth, much less Mars.

So there was never a "life-protecting" magnetosphere around Mars.

And there was certainly not a magnetosphere comparable to the Earth's magnetosphere, which is believed created by the fusion of a Mars' sized proto-planet with the earth eons before life developed.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyway, so does anybody think conclusions of NASA Mars studies are sufficient to demonstrate it was like Earth at one point?

Mars could never have been like Earth.

But then, "Earth-like" has become a very loose characteristic in some astronomy circles...primarily to gain public attention.

Upvote 0