United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biden weighing deployment of US troops to NATO allies: report

President Biden is reportedly weighing the deployment of U.S. troops to NATO allies amid increased tensions with Russia and concerns that Moscow is planning an invasion of Ukraine.

The New York Times, citing unidentified administration officials, reported that Biden is considering sending troops to allied countries in the Baltics and Eastern Europe, a move that would increase the U.S. military's presence across the globe at a time when diplomatic conversations between Washington and Moscow appear to be at a stalemate.
Is it any surprise that the Russians are emboldened even more after careless comments like this:

"I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do." ~ Joe Biden
Biden has been wrong on every major foreign policy decision in last 4 decades

You have to give President Biden credit for consistency. Unfortunately, he has been consistently wrong. As Robert Gates, former defense secretary in the Obama administration, once put it, Biden has “been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”
That comment is not from Fox news - or some right winger - the comment is from Robert Gates - Obama's defense secretary.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it any surprise that the Russians are emboldened even more after careless comments like this:

"I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do." ~ Joe Biden​
This is the worst trait of Bidens: to publicly blab things that, while true, should stay private.

That said I'm not automatically against military assistance to Nato countries that seem vulnerable because of their former Soviet status.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Biden is a man who listens to his advisors, and he has some good ones. The secretary of defense Lloyd Austin is a retired four star general who commanded US forces in Iraq and more. Blinken was a deputy national security advisor and deputy secretary of state with a deep background in foreign affairs.

I think Americans are tired of being the world's police. I hope that all other attempts to bring Russia to heel are exhausted before we think of military action.

• Agree
Reactions: CDM Tucson
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biden is a man who listens to his advisors, and he has some good ones. The secretary of defense Lloyd Austin is a retired four star general who commanded US forces in Iraq and more. Blinken was a deputy national security advisor and deputy secretary of state with a deep background in foreign affairs.

I think Americans are tired of being the world's police. I hope that all other attempts to bring Russia to heel are exhausted before we think of military action.

Robert Gates, former defense secretary in the Obama administration, once put it, Biden has “been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”
When did this change? What makes you think after 40 years of bad decisions he is now suddenly right?

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟148,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been noticing China and Russia seemingly working together to provoke the United States lately. China with Hong Kong and Taiwan. Russia moving on Ukraine. Saudi air strikes continuing in Yemen. Hopefully Biden and intelligence and the Pentagon keep their eyes and ears open and vigilant. I just get the feeling those countries are planning some type of Kansas City Shuffle to divert the US attention from something worse. Iran would be happy to help them as well. It seems they are now trying to exploit the US's habit of policing the world. I think Putin is desperate enough to invade Ukraine. He seems terrified of NATO letting Ukraine join.

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That comment is not from Fox news - or some right winger - the comment is from Robert Gates - Obama's defense secretary.

It's basic factual errors like these....

Bob Gates was and is a Republican and, as SecDef, was a holdover from the GWB administration. His earlier jobs as senior administrators at the CIA and as the national security advisor were in the Reagan and GHWB administrations.
Robert Gates - Wikipedia

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been noticing China and Russia seemingly working together to provoke the United States lately. China with Hong Kong and Taiwan. Russia moving on Ukraine. Saudi air strikes continuing in Yemen. Hopefully Biden and intelligence and the Pentagon keep their eyes and ears open and vigilant. I just get the feeling those countries are planning some type of Kansas City Shuffle to divert the US attention from something worse. Iran would be happy to help them as well. It seems they are now trying to exploit the US's habit of policing the world. I think Putin is desperate enough to invade Ukraine. He seems terrified of NATO letting Ukraine join.
This week an Indian correspondent wrote China is a bigger threat to India than Pakistan.

Trump sold weapons to Ukraine and was popular, but not popular with voters. Biden sends weapons to Ukraine and is not popular. Some might not praise a Democrat for ever having made a right decision. It is more hype from the right. Am not sure where it comes from as some of these complain more about NATO than about Putin. If Putin attacks a NATO nation, the other nations are bound by treaty to defend the nation that is attacked.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Biden's comment was certainly not helpful. But his comments did reflect a certain reality: Will Americans shed blood if Russia takes part or even all of Ukrainian terrority? Putin is betting we won't...and I think he's right.

Putin will be more influenced by the potential consequences of any invasion than anything Joe Biden says at a press conference.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Biden's comment was certainly not helpful. But his comments did reflect a certain reality: Will Americans shed blood if Russia takes part or even all of Ukrainian terrority? Putin is betting we won't...and I think he's right.

Putin will be more influenced by the potential consequences of any invasion than anything Joe Biden says at a press conference.
Putin does not like tighter economic sanctions. The Russian Ruble dropped in value compared to the U.S dollar in early trading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
This week an Indian correspondent wrote China is a bigger threat to India than Pakistan.

Trump sold weapons to Ukraine and was popular, but not popular with voters. Biden sends weapons to Ukraine and is not popular. Some might not praise a Democrat for ever having made a right decision. It is more hype from the right. Am not sure where it comes from as some of these complain more about NATO than about Putin. If Putin attacks a NATO nation, the other nations are bound by treaty to defend the nation that is attacked.

Ukraine is not a NATO member, and it is doubtful if the other NATO members want them as members either, except US.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Biden is not a man who listens to his advisors as they testified that he disregarded their recommendations in Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of 13 service people, the loss of millions in military equipment, leaving U.S. citizens behind along with many of the people who helped us and have death sentences upon sight from the Taliban and importing thousands of unscreen people into the U.S. overall a disaster beyond compare all do to Biden and his pride.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Joint Chiefs of Staff are not his advisors.
The secretaries of defense and state and national security advisors are his advisors.

I tend to think military leaders might put their power and budget ahead of what's best for America.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The secretaries of defense and state and national security advisors are his advisors.

I tend to think military leaders might put their power and budget ahead of what's best for America.

um… no

Joint Chiefs of Staff | United States government

Joint Chiefs of Staff, panel of high-ranking U.S. military officers who advise the president of the United States and other civilian leaders on military issues. As an advisory body, the Joint Chiefs of Staff do not lead combat forces and have no executive or command authority over troops in their services.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden is not a man who listens to his advisors as they testified that he disregarded their recommendations in Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of 13 service people, the loss of millions in military equipment, leaving U.S. citizens behind along with many of the people who helped us and have death sentences upon sight from the Taliban and importing thousands of unscreen people into the U.S. overall a disaster beyond compare all do to Biden and his pride.

You're referring to this advice? Advice that was given to both President Trump and Biden - both of whom, as you say, ignored their advice? The fact is, the White House set's policy. Both President's policy was to remove all US forces from Afghanistan. [in any case, keeping 2500 troops in place would have been pointless after the Afghan government and military collapsed.]

“I won’t share my personal recommendation to the president, but I will give you my honest opinion, and my honest opinion and view shaped my recommendation,” McKenzie said. “I recommended that we maintain 2,500 troops in Afghanistan. And I also recommended earlier in the fall of 2020 that we maintain 4,500 at that time. Those were my personal views. I also have a view that the withdrawal of those forces would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces and eventually the Afghan government.”

Inhofe then asked Milley if he agreed with the recommendation to keep 2,500 forces in Afghanistan.

Milley said, “I do agree with that,” noting that he put his opinion in a memo that he wrote back in the fall of 2020 when Trump was president.

Inhofe asked McKenzie if he ever spoke to Biden about Miller’s recommendation.

“I was present when that discussion occurred,” McKenzie said. “And I’m confident the president heard all the recommendations, and listened to them very thoughtfully.”

Generals Contradict Biden on Afghanistan Advice - FactCheck.org

...now with respect to Russia, I would be willing to bet some military advisors are advising President Biden to take a different course than he has to date. Still others agree with him.

That is to be expected for any decision made by the POTUS.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I doubt that, do you have any evidence to support your assertion that our military leaders are disloyal to our nation?

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're referring to this advice? Advice that was given to both President Trump and Biden - both of whom, as you say, ignored their advice? The fact is, the White House set's policy. Both President's policy was to remove all US forces from Afghanistan. [in any case, keeping 2500 troops in place would have been pointless after the Afghan government and military collapsed.]

“I won’t share my personal recommendation to the president, but I will give you my honest opinion, and my honest opinion and view shaped my recommendation,” McKenzie said. “I recommended that we maintain 2,500 troops in Afghanistan. And I also recommended earlier in the fall of 2020 that we maintain 4,500 at that time. Those were my personal views. I also have a view that the withdrawal of those forces would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces and eventually the Afghan government.”

Inhofe then asked Milley if he agreed with the recommendation to keep 2,500 forces in Afghanistan.

Milley said, “I do agree with that,” noting that he put his opinion in a memo that he wrote back in the fall of 2020 when Trump was president.

Inhofe asked McKenzie if he ever spoke to Biden about Miller’s recommendation.

“I was present when that discussion occurred,” McKenzie said. “And I’m confident the president heard all the recommendations, and listened to them very thoughtfully.”

Generals Contradict Biden on Afghanistan Advice - FactCheck.org

...now with respect to Russia, I would be willing to bet some military advisors are advising President Biden to take a different course than he has to date. Still others agree with him.

That is to be expected for any decision made by the POTUS.
in any case, keeping 2500 troops in place would have been pointless after the Afghan government and military collapsed.]
Absolutely incorrect, 2500 troops could and would have maintained security at Bagram AFB while an orderly withdrawal of all American citizens was accomplished along with a complete screening and withdrawal of all Afghans who have served our military. To say noting of saving 13 American service people and millions in military weapons and supplies. An extended stay of military personnel would have provided for continued intelligence gathering on the activities in this aor as well as providing an operational deterrent in the aor. Additionally we would not have evoked the criticism from our allies who requested that we remain until their units were removed nor would we have displayed our ineptitude and lack of resolve to our adversaries

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely incorrect, 2500 troops could and would have maintained security at Bagram AFB while an orderly withdrawal of all American citizens was accomplished along with a complete screening and withdrawal of all Afghans who have served our military. To say noting of saving 13 American service people and millions in military weapons and supplies. An extended stay of military personnel would have provided for continued intelligence gathering on the activities in this aor as well as providing an operational deterrent in the aor. Additionally we would not have invoked the criticism from our allies who requested that we remain until their units were removed nor would we have displayed our ineptitude and lack of resolve to our adversaries

Your claim is 2,500 troops could have secure the US Embassy compound and Bagram AFB (a good 40 miles away) all while the Taliban was taking control Kabul? I'm glad you're not a military advisor.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your claim is 2,500 troops could have secure the US Embassy compound and Bagram AFB (a good 40 miles away) all while the Taliban was taking control Kabul? I'm glad you're not a military advisor.
No one was securing the U.S. Embassy. We turned the town including the embassy over to the Taliban. I managed not to lose 13 people for absolutely no reason other than ego. That makes me a lot better leader than Biden.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ukraine is not a NATO member, and it is doubtful if the other NATO members want them as members either, except US.
The U.S. wants to oppose Russian aggression in the east, has not extended NATO membership to Ukraine.

Putin has made numerous accusations against NATO’s presence in Eastern Europe and the Baltics. This NATO presence is in defense of NATO member nations, not a plan to invade Russia.
NATO-Russia relations: the facts

Some can remember the USSR invaded Eastern Europe during WWII and annexed territory as far as Berlin, Germany. They built a wall to prevent its people from escaping to the west where conditions were better. Soviet Russians were spending much of their time standing in bread lines and waiting for other scarce goods to be offered for sale. The East German border wall/fence was called, the “Iron Curtain.” Soviet Russia funded Marxist atheist anti-capitalist revolutions around the world. The NATO alliance prevented Soviet dominance of Western Europe. Eventually the Russian people rejected Marxist atheism. The cold war thawed. Some ex- Soviet satellite nations joined NATO.

Upvote 0