Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently they don't like buying sub-standard merchandise is Portland.

There's no difference between the products - only the price. It's all sourced from the same places...

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So an opinion piece from a tabloid Murdoch rag?

By quoting a Walmart statement? Such propaganda! :doh:
any facts that are debatable or is it just the attack the messenger game again., and again and again.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A lot of government workers are military-trained. They do not train you to kill. They want you to disable people. But they do show you how and give YOU the option of doing serious harm to others.
Wut? No, the idea that cops are taught to shoot to wound/disable is Hollywood BS. The idea that the military would train people to do that is even more laughable. If you're at the point of firing your gun, that means you believe that your life (or someone else's life) is under immediate threat. That's hardly the time to be trying to shoot out someone's knee - you aim for center of mass because that's the easiest thing to hit and hitting it will generally stop the threat.
I understand some people can not use a gun and are lucky to hit the target at all. But people that know what they are doing can place a bullet exactly where they want to do exactly what they want to do with surgical precision. They call that a sharpshooter.
The number of people who have the capability to do that reliably with a pistol, on iron sights, under stress, on a moving/unpredictable target is approximately zero.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟193,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's no difference between the products - only the price. It's all sourced from the same places...
This is false. Walmart pressures its suppliers to produce lower quality products with the same labels so they can undercut competitors. You don't get the same product at Walmart that you do elsewhere. You may find this article very informative. It's stuck with me for many years.

https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

“As I look at the three years Snapper has been with you,” he told the [Walmart] vice president, “every year the price has come down. Every year the content of the product has gone up. We’re at a position where, first, it’s still priced where it doesn’t meet the needs of your clientele. For Wal-Mart, it’s still too high-priced. I think you’d agree with that.

“Now, at the price I’m selling to you today, I’m not making any money on it. And if we do what you want next year, I’ll lose money. I could do that and not go out of business. But we have this independent-dealer channel. And 80% of our business is over here with them. And I can’t put them at a competitive disadvantage. If I do that, I lose everything. So this just isn’t a compatible fit.”

The Wal-Mart vice president responded with strategy and argument. Snapper is the sort of high-quality nameplate, like Levi Strauss, that Wal-Mart hopes can ultimately make it more Target-like. He suggested that Snapper find a lower-cost contract manufacturer. He suggested producing a separate, lesser-quality line with the Snapper nameplate just for Wal-Mart. Just like Levi [Strauss] did.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes I get bummed at how people need to be controlled by the government in order to prevent mass chaos.

I feel like Humanity is a pitiful disgrace, and it’s depressing.

…I would feel better if Walmart wasn’t closing because people are essentially horrible creatures.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Calls to "defund the police" started in summer 2020. I realize it's been 2 1/2 years since then, but (checks notes) Donald was President then.
There was a lot of civil unrest when Trump was president.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,577.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I get bummed at how people need to be controlled by the government in order to prevent mass chaos.

I feel like Humanity is a pitiful disgrace, and it’s depressing.

…I would feel better if Walmart wasn’t closing because people are essentially horrible creatures.

Isn't that a large part of Christian theology? We need God because we are horrible creatures?

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Walmart is getting out of Portland, Oregon because of theft and lack of law enforcement. This city is a prime example of Democrat Party poverty creation, poverty perpetuation, & political control. There is always a problem, someone else to blame, and false social concerns over those impacted by the economic fallout.

The NY Post points out the reason for the closures:

The Portland demopravda media reports on Walmart’s decision in dry business rationales divorced from the main reason: crime. They already focus on the impact of the closures on the needy and ignore why access to needed goods & services breaks down to begin with.

From your NYPost article:
The company did not say whether retail theft was a factor in shuttering the Walmart locations in the North and Southeastern sections of the Rose City.​

From your FOXnews12 article:
“The decision to close these stores was made after a careful review of their overall performance. We consider many factors, including current and projected financial performance, location, population, customer needs, and the proximity of other nearby stores when making these difficult decisions. After we decide to move forward, our focus is on our associates and their transition, which is the case here,” a spokesperson with Walmart said.​
I don't see any absolute claims from Wallmart to make the absolute claims you make.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just seems like something you would expect. Admittedly you did not claim surprise, simply disappointment.

I actually refuse to believe it in my heart of hearts that we are that way. Even the Bible can’t convince me for reasons beyond my control.

…My conscience forces me this way.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,577.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I actually refuse to believe it in my heart of hearts that we are that way. Even the Bible can’t convince me for reasons beyond my control.

…My conscience forces me this way.
Well, to each their own. Personally I have no qualms in believing it. Survival is a powerful compulsion and out thin veneer of civility is no match for it.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, to each their own. Personally I have no qualms in believing it. Survival is a powerful compulsion and out thin veneer of civility is no match for it.
Hopefully the truth isn’t that I’m just a weak person, and I’m attempting to “prop up” my own qualities as a defensive mechanism. That would be disgusting if true.

…Because I tend to not steal, or cause havoc towards others for personal gain. Honestly, there really isn’t much need for police in a world of Landon Caeli’s. Not that I’m perfect, but I doubt it would be mass chaos either.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I like dogs better than people sometimes. And I couldn’t stand living in a world where the truth was that sociopathic narcissists truly are the winners.

…It simply can’t be.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,577.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully the truth isn’t that I’m just a weak person, and I’m attempting to “prop up” my own qualities as a defensive mechanism. That would be disgusting if true.

…Because I tend to not steal, or cause havoc towards others for personal gain. Honestly, there really isn’t much need for police in a world of Landon Caeli’s. Not that I’m perfect, but I doubt it would be mass chaos either.
I don't think it is about weakness per se. I think it is more about encountering circumstances that are extreme and call for an extreme response. Hopefully most of us will never experience those. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From your NYPost article:
The company did not say whether retail theft was a factor in shuttering the Walmart locations in the North and Southeastern sections of the Rose City.​

From your FOXnews12 article:
“The decision to close these stores was made after a careful review of their overall performance. We consider many factors, including current and projected financial performance, location, population, customer needs, and the proximity of other nearby stores when making these difficult decisions. After we decide to move forward, our focus is on our associates and their transition, which is the case here,” a spokesperson with Walmart said.​
I don't see any absolute claims from Wallmart to make the absolute claims you make.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it is about weakness per se. I think it is more about encountering circumstances that are extreme and call for an extreme response. Hopefully most of us will never experience those. :wave:
I like your style, Belk.

• Friendly
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is false. Walmart pressures its suppliers to produce lower quality products with the same labels so they can undercut competitors. You don't get the same product at Walmart that you do elsewhere. You may find this article very informative. It's stuck with me for many years.

https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

“As I look at the three years Snapper has been with you,” he told the [Walmart] vice president, “every year the price has come down. Every year the content of the product has gone up. We’re at a position where, first, it’s still priced where it doesn’t meet the needs of your clientele. For Wal-Mart, it’s still too high-priced. I think you’d agree with that.

“Now, at the price I’m selling to you today, I’m not making any money on it. And if we do what you want next year, I’ll lose money. I could do that and not go out of business. But we have this independent-dealer channel. And 80% of our business is over here with them. And I can’t put them at a competitive disadvantage. If I do that, I lose everything. So this just isn’t a compatible fit.”

The Wal-Mart vice president responded with strategy and argument. Snapper is the sort of high-quality nameplate, like Levi Strauss, that Wal-Mart hopes can ultimately make it more Target-like. He suggested that Snapper find a lower-cost contract manufacturer. He suggested producing a separate, lesser-quality line with the Snapper nameplate just for Wal-Mart. Just like Levi [Strauss] did.

I was talking to my son and he thinks Target might have better clothing - this I wouldn't know because I won't buy clothes from that type of store (neither Walmart nor Target) at all...

But other things, like housewares, groceries, personal care items, pharmacy etc is same.

I know Walmart won't buy from people who price too high... But they do buy in massive bulk and the majority of their stores are rural, which usually means poorer people shop there so I understand why price is a larger concern for them.

I'll read the article you shared - haven't yet.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

Let's take your first story. It says this:

"In December, CEO Doug McMillon warned that an increase in theft could force the retailer to either raise prices or close stores if the problem continued.​
“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” he told CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”​
If you go to the Squawk Box interview, the CEO says this:
"“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” he told CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”
“We’ve got safety measures, security measures that we’ve put in place by store location. I think local law enforcement being staffed and being a good partner is part of that equation, and that’s normally how we approach it,” McMillon said.​
He is not specifically saying the reason why they are leaving Portland in theft in that story. To me he is talking in general of what all stores are facing today. I provided Wallmarts statement of closure dealing specifically with the Portland stores. They don't say, "hey, were moving because of shrinkage". Again, they are not making the same absolute statements you are.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0